Kel-tec rifles

This is a discussion on Kel-tec rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was recentlyon the kel-tec website an took a look at their rifles, I don't know anything about rifles but they looked kinda cool. Kel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec rifles

Kel-tec rifles

I was recentlyon the kel-tec website an took a look at their rifles, I don't know anything about rifles but they looked kinda cool.

Kel Tec
    Kel Tec

The su16ca the best of the 2, plus they are pretty cheep, bout $500 online. Im not interested in buying but just wanna here opinions if anyone has any.

2. Remove Ads

i had a su16c. it was a cool gun, but i had some failure to eject problems with aftermarket mags. with the factory mags it was all good. it has very little recoil.

OMO, but for that $$$, you can do much better.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The rifle of theirs that I want is a sub2000, 9mm carbine. Just can't find one anywhere.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

On the Sub2K

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    The rifle of theirs that I want is a sub2000, 9mm carbine...
    I have one of these carbines that uses Glock 17 magazines. The thing is very accurate, easy to take down for cleaning, and folds nicely to fit in a large brief case. It'll shoot almost any 9 mm ammo (except aluminum casing) that you can stuff into the magazine.

These carbines are fairly inexpensive and very functional. By very functional I mean...well, if you want the Cadillac version buy the CX4 Storm. I don't mind throwing the Sub2K into the trunk of my car. It seems pretty rugged.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

I have a CA. Had a C, but sold it when I got rid of the old lady (was hers). It is reliable, accurate, and light as all heck. I'm not sure I'd rely on the plastic receiver in a SHTF situation, but it's a great rifle to fold up and take in the pack when going hiking. Also fun to shoot rabbits with.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo_79 View Post
    I have one of these carbines that uses Glock 17 magazines.
    I'd offer you some $$ for it, but in my frustration at not being able to find it I was forced to spend my money on an AR15.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

What else is there out there for the price? Opinions bout the round? I think it looks pretty cool.

Saiga .223? Can be had for < $350. Doesn't take AR-15 mags, but AK .223 & Weiger's can be modified to work. Commercial 20/30 round mags can be had for <$40.

Nick

Of the 2 keltecs which seems to be a better choice. Only about a $50 difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    ...Opinions bout the round? I think it looks pretty cool.
    For what it's worth: One advantage I had with the Sub2K in 9mm was the fact I was able to shoot it on the outdoor pistol range instead of having to move to the rifle range. This is obviously situational, but where I shoot on the weekends they allow carbines to be used on the 25 yard pistol range.

The 9mm round out of a 16" barrel is pretty hot even for standard range loads. For target shooting this is no big deal. For small game I'd imagine it would make the carbine pretty sporting. For home defense, the gun is small (short) enough to maneuver down hallways and in close quarters if you had to go chase down that bump-in-the-night sound coming from your garage. Folding it in half also makes it easy to carry if you have to evacuate your home for weather or other environmental reasons.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

So will the 2.5" difference between the 18.5" barel of the su16a and 16" of the su16ca make a diference in bullet speed, power, accuracy?

If you can wait a few days, I'll take my CA out this weekend and chrono some rounds for you.

From what I've read on Arfcom, 18" gives you 50-100fps on 16" barrels, so I imagine it would be around the same with the SU-16s.

The A model factory sights suck really bad. If you do get that one, you'll probably want to get the Bravo sights from Kel-tec, so factor that into your purchase.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Yeah i know nothins about rifles so I'll wait for the numbers. Its good to know bout the sights. This is mainly just me being curious anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Yeah i know nothins about rifles so I'll wait for the numbers. Its good to know bout the sights. This is mainly just me being curious anyways.
    You might like them, but the bright orange plastic piece on the A model is impossible to be precise with. Even the Bravo sights have a kinda large rear ring sight for my tastes, but I'm probably a little more particular than most about sights on my rifles.

Going shooting Sunday, I'll chrono you some rounds.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; August 8th, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links