What Sights for Shotty?

What Sights for Shotty?

This is a discussion on What Sights for Shotty? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Prelude: I have been aware of a critical void in my arsenal and have finally decided to get myself a shotgun for HD. I originally ...

Thread: What Sights for Shotty?

Question What Sights for Shotty?

Prelude: I have been aware of a critical void in my arsenal and have finally decided to get myself a shotgun for HD. I originally figured I would get the Remington 870 Express with the 18" barrel and 7 round capacity. However, after much research, contemplation, and cost analysis, I am going with an 870 Police instead.

Question: When it comes to an all-around and HD shotgun, what sights are preferred: bead, rifle, ghost ring? What is the reasoning behind this preference?

At home defense ranges it's a moot point IMHO you will shoulder the gun point it COM and shoot,most people after shooting don't even remember seeing their gun sights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    At home defense ranges it's a moot point IMHO you will shoulder the gun point it COM and shoot,most people after shooting don't even remember seeing their gun sights
    Point well taken. I forsee the 870P being the gun I would grab in a SHTF scenario since the shotgun is versatile. What sights would be equally so?

Administrator
    bead sight is all you need, and nothing beats it for speed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    bead sight is all you need, and nothing beats it for speed.
    Agreed.

I did replace my stock bead with one of the screw-in fiber optics.

Cabela's -- HiViz Spark Sight

Even if the cheesy fiber optic breaks the metal housing is still as good as a brass bead IMO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have a Hi-Viz on one of my hunting shotguns in the sunlight its quick to pickup versus a brass or silver bead.Rifled sights are good for slug guns,but as far as ghost ring etc. they look tacticool but like sixto said fast beats cool any day of the week.Also if it's night time and your house is pretty dark which is when you stand the most chance of using your shotgun unless you hit the gun light you won't see your sights in the dark anyway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Most here probably use a pump shottie (they like the sound of racking), but I prefer my good 'ole coach gun.

I bought a Stoeger Coach Gun (nickle plated) and had a $200 rework on it...real smooth now. I did put a #4 bead on it...that's all one needs.
    I wouldn't worry about 'sights' on a shottie.OMO

Stay armed...get a 'meet and greet' shottie...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A bead will do, but I like my ghost ring sights just fine. I don't think they slow me down at all, and at longer ranges they are nice to have IMO.

Austin

Thanks for your input. As Sixto's signature states, Simple works better. Bead sight it is.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If you want it to look evil nasty and scary go with a Ghost Ring. However a front bead is more effective.

Heck I know competitors that remove their beads and shoot with nothing. They use Body indexing, correct mounts and fingers to point shoot.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I passed the LE firearms instructors test with a bead , it was compressed because where and when i took it we could not shoot at rocky flats range due to "radiation" the range was closed . I wound up putting my qualification rounds on the CSP indoor range . Shooting a mossy 590 on the qualification shoot ( and shooting a bead only ) i cut a T into a target with slugs . Now consider i held the bottom of a b27 target and was cutting x ring at range . the point IMHO is that i knew where my shotgun shot and then delt with it . ( the 590 i took would pattern slugs high but buckshot low , when i shot slugs i needed a " crotch " hold when i shot buckshot i need a center hold .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links