I know, I know, they don't exist.... - Page 2

I know, I know, they don't exist....

This is a discussion on I know, I know, they don't exist.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by lopadrino79 Ramrod- I have a Olympic Arm Plinkster (I know I know, I bought it well before I was educated by this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    Ramrod- I have a Olympic Arm Plinkster (I know I know, I bought it well before I was educated by this site).
    OK, I may have missed something. I have been a member since Jan 2007, and have never seen a post about Olympic Arms. Have I missed something. The AR I have on layaway is the Olympic Arms, Inc. - K3B-M4-A3-TC - M4 Tactical Carbine it looks real nice. So, someone tell me, did I miss something here?
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    OK, I may have missed something. I have been a member since Jan 2007, and have never seen a post about Olympic Arms. Have I missed something. The AR I have on layaway is the Olympic Arms, Inc. - K3B-M4-A3-TC - M4 Tactical Carbine it looks real nice. So, someone tell me, did I miss something here?
    The new ones are fine IMHO. They used to make cast lowers... they were awful. Some were fine, others were unusable, fragile or both. I wouldn't worry about them too much anymore. A purist will still not like them, but who has the money for the exact same gear that uncle sam issues...?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Oh, sorry, the posts. Just don't seem practical. I would like to retain factory iron functionality.
    Have you used one? I'd say they're incredibly functional.

They're functional at distance, too. You just use the top of the dot instead of the top of your post sight. Not a 500m target sight, but that's not a practical fighting scenario anyhow.

If the big one wierds you out, there's the standard dot or stripe as well, either of which would probably give a decent flash sight picture. I'm more personally familiar with the handgun sights, but might order one if they'll let me get away with using it at work.

They're quick and easy to install, and if it doesn't work out for you, you'll get a good price on EBay...just an idea, though.

I'd personally use the Big Dot before any optic short of an EOtech or ACOG. *note, an armorer from my agency has been telling me about some EOtech reliability issues, but I've never experienced this myself. But they gave me an ACOG most of the time anyhow.

Sorry, I just have noticed a pattern of a lot of guys not liking Olympic arms. For my price range it was really the only option and I am hoping it works out well. I can't even comment on quality since it is the first AR I have owned and I have not been able to shoot it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Have you used one? I'd say they're incredibly practical.

They're functional at distance, too. If the big one wierds you out, there's the standard dot or stripe as well, either of which would probably give a decent flash sight picture. I'm more personally familiar with the handgun sights, but might order one if they'll let me get away with using it at work.

They're quick and easy to install, and if it doesn't work out for you, you'll get a good price on EBay...just an idea, though.

I'd personally use the Big Dot before any optic short of an EOtech or ACOG.
    True. I'm a firm believer that if your components and sights equal or surpass the cost of the rifle then you have issues that could only be cured by joining the military and playing with their hardware. Most of us are not on the drop list into Afghanistan, and I've seen some hardware on here that quite frankly, if I had it , I'd never get it out of the safe....it's in the hands of the end user. If one feels the necessity to obtain something "more worthy" then they are only lacking the basic rifleman skills or attempting to compensate for something else in my opinion. Something that really doesn't exist for the civilian scenario. Toys are nice, and a child who's been happy to play with the dog and plastic army men in the back yard will surely think a Tonka truck is state of the art.

Truth spoke from the mouth (err..keyboard) of Ram Rod. I agree 100%
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If one feels the necessity to obtain something "more worthy" then they are only lacking the basic rifleman skills or attempting to compensate for something else in my opinion.
    And there are just as many people who can't take advantage of better equipment. Good equipment will benefit already good riflemen, much more than it will poor riflemen.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    And there are just as many people who can't take advantage of better equipment. Good equipment will benefit already good riflemen, much more than it will poor riflemen.
    'In my opinion' were some key words I used in my statement. Go ahead....say it, it won't hurt you. In your opinion then?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    'In my opinion' were some key words I used in my statement. Go ahead....say it, it won't hurt you. In your opinion then?
    OK, in my opinion, you're wrong in yours.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

One other thing to consider for a home gun would be battery life. I'd prefer a non-battery based optic/sighting system. As a gun for use on missions, well, I can just put new batteries in for every sortie out the gate and test it. At home, it's gonna sit between practice sessions and needs to be ready for use at all times...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links