I know, I know, they don't exist....

This is a discussion on I know, I know, they don't exist.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...but I am looking for a cheap, but decent CQB sighting solution for my AR. I am looking to mount on the flat-top and price ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know, I know, they don't exist....

I know, I know, they don't exist....

...but I am looking for a cheap, but decent CQB sighting solution for my AR. I am looking to mount on the flat-top and price is the seller here. Does anybody know of any decent optics for CQB that I can purchase without the wife murdering me? Maybe someone has something they have been trying to sell, or knows of a place I could score something used? Thanks in advance!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

2. Remove Ads

Have you checked the BSA red dots?
    BSA Optics BSA Red Dot Sights SALE Red Dot Scope Laser Sights DISCOUNT Gun Sights FREE SHIPPING
    I have one for carry handle mount. The only reason I have my carry handle on the flat top is for CQB. Anything else and it comes off with the red dot.

What kind of budget are you working with? Ramrods suggestion is good, BSA is about as affordable as you can get and still have a decent working product.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Great! Thanks RamRod..somehow I knew YOU would be coming through for me. To answer your question matiki, my budget is as cheap as possible, literally, without getting crap that's not worth anything! Anybody else have input?

RamRod,
    Where did you get the carry handle mount for it? I have a removable carry handle, but I liked how you have it mounted, and I think that would be ideal! Did the caps come with it? I like those too. By the way, those are very inexpensive! Me likey, me likey!

You know lovemyglock......I'm not sure about the carry handle mount, but they are fairly common and inexpensive. The Buttler Creek flip open caps I had to search for and try out at my local gun shop. It was rather hard times to get an objective and an eye in the right sizes and I think it took a couple of weeks to get the right eye if I'm not mistaken. Well, mainly the carry handle mount for me because I have a permanent front sight post. Since the BSA red dot does not magnify, I decided against the flat top mounting, even with a riser. Besides, I didn't want to be changing out three or four sight options off the flat top. (UTG complete rear sight w/ integral picatinny mount, my Simmons BDC scope on riser mount, or my BSA 6-24x40 illuminated mil-dot, or the integral A-3 handle/rear sight). Everything I have for sighting options on the Bushy work, they are of acceptable quality, and inexpensive brand new. I've shot with them all extensively and nothing has fallen apart yet.

RamRod,
    Great to know. I guess I will just have to shop around. I heard that the carry handle mounts can have trouble with maintaining zero. I was on one site that suggested glassing the mount into the groove of the handle with a resin, using a separator so that they don't stick together to help maintain zero. Have you had a problem with that? Seems I have seen the BSA red dots at WalMart. Thanks!

Get an XS Big Dot front sightpost. Done.

XS Sight Systems - Tactical Sights

Otherwise, score a used EOtech.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Get an XS Big Dot front sightpost. Done.

XS Sight Systems - Tactical Sights

Otherwise, score a used EOtech.
    Hmm...not a fan. I don't know why, I just don't like them.

Which one?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The Bushnell Trophy Red Dots are good sights. I have one on my AR , and it does just fine.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Have you checked the BSA red dots?
    BSA Optics BSA Red Dot Sights SALE Red Dot Scope Laser Sights DISCOUNT Gun Sights FREE SHIPPING
    I have one for carry handle mount. The only reason I have my carry handle on the flat top is for CQB. Anything else and it comes off with the red dot.
    Ramrod- I have a Olympic Arm Plinkster (I know I know, I bought it well before I was educated by this site). ANyways, It has the carry handle. Can I mount that red dot to it as is or do I need more hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    RamRod,
    Great to know. I guess I will just have to shop around. I heard that the carry handle mounts can have trouble with maintaining zero. I was on one site that suggested glassing the mount into the groove of the handle with a resin, using a separator so that they don't stick together to help maintain zero. Have you had a problem with that? Seems I have seen the BSA red dots at WalMart. Thanks!
    As you can see (with a long look since the pic lacks quality), my mount has the large thumbscrew. I've had it work loose before during a range session....it has a crush washer, but just the same--what I do now is tighten that thumbscrew with a pair of baby channel lock pliers to make sure it won't move and the mount fits perfectly in the handle the way it's designed.

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    Ramrod- I have a Olympic Arm Plinkster (I know I know, I bought it well before I was educated by this site). ANyways, It has the carry handle. Can I mount that red dot to it as is or do I need more hardware?
    You need a mount. The red dot or most other sights come with the ability to mount to a standard Weaver or picatinny base. Just look at the two thumbscrews on the same side as the carry handle mounting screws. If you want to mount this optic to your flat-top rifle, it would be ready to go. The carry handle mount requires a mount between the handle top and the sight. This is similar to what you'll need to make it a go.
    54723 - TAPCO AR-15/M16 Carry Handle Mount, Black

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Which one?
    Oh, sorry, the posts. Just don't seem practical. I would like to retain factory iron functionality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links