Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 help.

This is a discussion on Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading the posts on DC, I realized that I did not own a SHTF or a EOTWAWKI firearm in case Dawn of the Dead ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 help.

Bushmaster XM-15 E2S M4 help.

After reading the posts on DC, I realized that I did not own a SHTF or a EOTWAWKI firearm in case Dawn of the Dead zombies invade my hometown in Kansas, so I remedied that situation and bought me a Bushmaster XM -15 E2S M4 in .223 and with a 14.5 inch barrel with the 1 in 9 inch twist rate. It is a preban model with the bayonet lug, collapsible stock and removable carry handle with the Picatinny rail. It came with one 30 round magazine, so where can I find quality 30 round magazines?

I will try to post some pics soon, as my previous attempts have been dismal failures. What ammo do you all recomend? Accessories? Hopefully I got a quality carbine as it was down to this and a Ruger mini 14 NRA model. Would love to hear from any AR - 15 owners out there. I had a Colt AR - 15 A2 with a 20 inch barrel and like a blooming idiot sold it 20 years ago so this sort of makes up for that mistake. I bought it at Cabelas nib as it was the last one they had in this model.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

Are you OK with Pmags? It's how I roll and I know they fit my friends bushmaster lower.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Not too familiar yet with the new brand names in the defensive rifle/carbine world. If they are quality, I will try a couple of them out. I tell you what, I really like this handy little June bug carbine.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Not too familiar yet with the new brand names in the defensive rifle/carbine world. If they are quality, I will try a couple of them out. I tell you what, I really like this handy little June bug carbine.
    ++ MAGPUL INDUSTRIES ++

YouTube - Magpul PMag versus a Chevy Truck
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

For standard mags, I like the Brownell's Magazines. If you want something dang near indestructible and definitely a little different, look at the Cammenga EasyMag. Be sure to look at the video on their site. In the square of 9 images, it's the top row, center video. Don't get bored with it at least until they shoot the mags with a shotgun.

Now for a stupid question. How did you manage to get a rifle with a 14.5" barrel? I thought 16" was the minimum. Or, did you do the NFA dance and pay the transfer tax?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Now for a stupid question. How did you manage to get a rifle with a 14.5" barrel? I thought 16" was the minimum. Or, did you do the NFA dance and pay the transfer tax?

Hoss
    I can't speak for the OP but my barrel is a bushy that came from the factory with a welded phantom flash hider = 16".

Well Hoss, to be honest with you, I don't really know, it said it was a Pre Ban model, does that make a difference? The BATF didn't bat an eye when it was called in from Cabelas. It has the Izzy flash suppressor, could it be with that on there it is 16 inches? Cabela employee said he owned one just like it and never mentioned paying the tax stamp.
    God bless our troops!

Looking at the box now - says item BCWA3F 14M4 IZ. I don't think Cabelas is a class 3 dealer, was I just lucky or am I headed for Leavenworth?
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Looking at the box now - says item BCWA3F 14M4 IZ. I don't think Cabelas is a class 3 dealer, was I just lucky or am I headed for Leavenworth?
    Cool. That's a nice rig and it's not an NFA issue. I doubt Cabelas would make such a mistake but I have heard a couple horror stories regarding small time dealers/pawn shops.

That is it exactly matiki, a law enforcement model - boy is my brother in law (a LEO) going to go bonkers over this handy do dad of a carbine. I know I am.
    God bless our troops!

Hoss I will certainly give those magazines you mentioned a good hard look, thanks for the advice! Thank you too matiki!

I could see where this carbine would make a nice addition for the SWAT trained LEO in a patrol car. Just my .02 worth.
    God bless our troops!

I have essentially the same model Bushmaster you do except I liked the commando model for a long time and finally got one. 11.5" barrel with the pinned 5.5" flash suppressor. I have a couple 20 round mags that I purchased used and these were Colt contract mags apparently. Other than that, I have a few Bushmaster mags from 10rd to 30 rd...I like the aluminum mags compared to the older steel mags. Several years ago when I had my first Bushmaster, I gravitated away from metal mags and went with some new and surplus plastic ones such as the Orlite and Thermold mags, and those work very well in mine. Less upkeep, and they won't dent. I've done some work on a couple of these to lower the mag catch slot to a more positive engagement when inserted. I've always given my AR mags a 'bump' with the palm of my hand when inserting them into the mag well, but never hammered them home...there should be no need in that. I have some new green followers since my wheelin's and dealings with some members here recently, but I really need some 30 round springs to be up-to-par for future mag rebuilds. Used magazines for the AR-15 in my experience, can cost almost as much for used (even slightly used) as for brand new......except for the surplus Orlite or Thermold. I'm not sure as to the availability of these now since the only magazine I've purchased in the past four years for my AR was three weeks ago, and I just happened to run across it in an outfitter's shop, in a box of all sorts of stuff and asked how much the guy would take for it. Spur of the moment type of thing. $24.95 for the looks like new aluminum factory Bushmaster 30 rounder. I haven't been to a gun show in about six months due to my work schedule so I really haven't been reading the market. I know Shotgun News always has some deals on mags somewhere, but your Bushmaster will do well on most of them as mine does. This guy has Thermold mags listed for the month sale for $13. I like them, and other than my favorite 20 rounders, it's what I use mainly and you can toss 'em or throw 'em into any corner you want (empty) and they'll be ready to go when you find them.
    GalleryOfGuns.com - Retailer Near You
    Other than that, topgunsupply are good folks to work with. Again...without searching, I'm hurting-----this is the third week I've been using a borrowed computer since my laptop screen went out, but it is what it is, and I'm limping by without my best resources. PM me any time with any questions. I'm a true Bushmaster fan and I've had four of them and nothing else.
    BUSHMASTER - Top Gun Supply

I am glad to hear my Bushmaster is legal and a good quality rifle/carbine. I really like the way you have yours decked out - awesome job there Ramrod! I will remember what you said about bumping, and not slamming home the magazines.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    Yes, your carbine is fine... a 14.5" barrel with the Izzy makes it 16".

I love the Brownells mags, I havent found better yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm a PMAG convert and at the moment I'm not buying nor using anything else.

It took me some nudging, but once I purchased a couple of them and ran them pretty hard I'm not interested in standard USGI type mags anymore.

You can now purchase the Ranger base plates for them also, which is a big plus since all of my USGI type mags have them.

If you do want teflon coated USGI type mags just make sure to find them with the PMAG follower. You won't be sorry.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links