AK-47 brands - Page 2

AK-47 brands

This is a discussion on AK-47 brands within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased my first WASR10 a couple months ago and have had a blast with it. It came in a greasy box with two 30 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK-47 brands

I purchased my first WASR10 a couple months ago and have had a blast with it. It came in a greasy box with two 30 rd magazines, a funny looking pouch, a leather strap and bayonet with scabbard. I degreased, cleaned and lubricated it, took a couple hundred rounds of some foreign steel core ammo out into the desert and had more fun than ever. The waxy substance on the cheap ammo had no effect. I didn't push the barrel, but let it cool down in between magazines. I estimated that I could probably get off lethal shots at about 200 feet with it, in the off hand position. I don't expect it to have the accuracy of an M-14, not for the purchase price of $350 bucks! But it sure is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Jim Fuller (Rifle Dynamics) builds, by far, the best AKs I've ever handled. However, as was previously stated, you're going to wait (and pay) for it.

Really it is hard to go wrong with any of them, even WASRs. All manufacturers, including the "big dogs" like Arsenal, turn out lemons occasionally. However, the majority of the rifles out there will run just fine.

If you want something that you can just buy and feel pretty confident that it will work (and not pay an arm and leg for), I'd look for a Yugo.
    Wow! I checked out his website and those are some seriously nice guns! I haven't drooled over a gun in a long time but these are some of the nicest AKs I have ever seen! Are his custom builds pretty close in accuracy to an M4?
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Hello All,

chiboxer, I see by your Avatar you already own a Yugo SKS. How's

the fit an' finish on her? I LOVE all my Yugos. My 59/66A1 and my

M70B1's and M70AB2's always go BANG everytime and give me:

Minute of Shotgun Shell @ 25m
    Minute of Beer Can @ 50m
    Minute of Pie Plate @ 100m
    Minute of Bad Guy @ 200m

YMMV ....Good enough for these ole' eyes anyhow.

Like I said before" I LOVE my Yugos and wouldn't trade any of 'em.

Safety First...Keep your groups tight,

mM

Distinguished Member
    I was at the gun show today and they had a nice looking
    Arsenal SLR-107 FR for $904.00 new. It has the stamped receiver though. I think I am going to wait and see if I can find a US made SAM-7R, with a milled receiver. Let me hear your opinions, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing.

ARSENAL INC
    Here's the link to Arsenal's distributors and dealers. Good luck!
    ARSENAL INC

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    Wow! I checked out his website and those are some seriously nice guns! I haven't drooled over a gun in a long time but these are some of the nicest AKs I have ever seen! Are his custom builds pretty close in accuracy to an M4?
    There is no problem with the accuracy of his rifles. I spent this afternoon at the range with my buddy, I'd installed a set of XS Big-dot sights on his Fuller AK so we were there to zero it. After getting it set at 25 yards, we moved out to a hundred and had no issues making repeated hits on everything from 6" rocks down to pieces of 2x4 from a shot up target-stand that someone had left behind. (oh wait, that shouldn't have been possible...Big Dots aren't accurate ). Mind you, this rifle is nothing fancy...just a NDS receiver and a Romy "G" parts kit assembled by someone who knows what they're doing. I will say that the trigger work is excellent. It has a Tapco G-2 that Jim manages to turn into a work of art. I installed a G-2 on mine and while it feels great compared to the original, it doesn't even compare to the one that Jim did on my buddy's rifle.

On paper, it's probably not as accurate as an AR. Practically speaking however, it'll do anything you need it to do. We were making what amounts to 100-yard headshots with open sights from the offhand position and I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick
    I was at the gun show today and they had a nice looking
    Arsenal SLR-107 FR for $904.00 new. It has the stamped receiver though. I think I am going to wait and see if I can find a US made SAM-7R, with a milled receiver. Let me hear your opinions, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing.
    If I was going to drop close to a grand on an AK, there's no way I wouldn't be having it built by a good 'smith.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    There is no problem with the accuracy of his rifles. I spent this afternoon at the range with my buddy, I'd installed a set of XS Big-dot sights on his Fuller AK so we were there to zero it. After getting it set at 25 yards, we moved out to a hundred and had no issues making repeated hits on everything from 6" rocks down to pieces of 2x4 from a shot up target-stand that someone had left behind. (oh wait, that shouldn't have been possible...Big Dots aren't accurate ). Mind you, this rifle is nothing fancy...just a NDS receiver and a Romy "G" parts kit assembled by someone who knows what they're doing. I will say that the trigger work is excellent. It has a Tapco G-2 that Jim manages to turn into a work of art. I installed a G-2 on mine and while it feels great compared to the original, it doesn't even compare to the one that Jim did on my buddy's rifle.

On paper, it's probably not as accurate as an AR. Practically speaking however, it'll do anything you need it to do. We were making what amounts to 100-yard headshots with open sights from the offhand position and I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of better accuracy than I am.

If I was going to drop close to a grand on an AK, there's no way I wouldn't be having it built by a good 'smith.
    Careful of KenpoTex's advice! First of all he knows what he is talking about. Secondly, once you get that first AK I will wager you that another will be on the way. Actually, I was asking similar questions here regarding my first AK purchase and KenpoTex and others directed me to Jim Fuller. I currently have him doing a build for me. If you are going to spend the $1,000 +, I would again say go with Fuller or a Krebs. I did get a pretty good price on my Arsenal 107F ( a bit under $800 ) and its a very solid rifle. No, you probably will not get as tight a grouping on the AK as you would an AR but overall I would say that a quality AK will still shoot better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Don't hear much about the 93's or the 96's anymore. The 95's are the last ones I've seen of the older Bulgarian Arsenal clan. They dried up in a hurry I guess...
    I think, if I am correct here, that the 93's and 95's were the last of them coming in (imported Milled Arsenals) and the last of them imported and therefore the last of the Arsenal Bulgaria made ones to be available to us. And that all was in the "Ban years". So they would be smaller numbers I would bet. Later we had USA built Arsenal stuff and still do but not any milled stuff I don't think. Arsenal licensed them to be built here so import was not a problem then but it was after the 93's and 95's I think.

They used to show up a lot but I sure don't see much of them turning over these days. You run into one in Ban configuration from time to time though. I would grab one up if you can. It doesn't take a lot to unban them. Just have to know and install your 922r compliance stuff and thread the Barrel. There is one less part to worry about with a Milled when your considering your 922r than with a stamped because its reciever and barrel trunnion are one part.

I also have to say that for a nice middle of the road built AK that Vector does some fine rifles and has excellent customer service to boot. One other to consider. Atlantic carries them
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...d.asp?Prodid=9

Thanks much for all of the great advice guys! In reference to the question about my SKS, that is a good eye, it is indeed a Yugo SKS. For awhile it has been my primary rifle. I have been torn for quite some time on whether to get an AK or AR but the AK shares ammo with my SKS so that pretty much did it for me. Given the advice on this forum and in this thread, I think I am going to acquire a Vector Arms AK. If I like it I might step up to one of those custom builds KenpoTex had me drooling over.
    One last question, who makes really good self-defense loads in 7.62mm? All the major manufacturers make good 5.56mm stuff but I don't see much for the 7.62mm aside from FMJ ammo. Thanks again for all of your help guys.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    One last question, who makes really good self-defense loads in 7.62mm? All the major manufacturers make good 5.56mm stuff but I don't see much for the 7.62mm aside from FMJ ammo. Thanks again for all of your help guys.
    CorBon DPX is probably top of the line, other than that...it all works. I believe Remington does a soft-point load, federal may as well. The russian stuff (wolf, bear, tiger, etc.) will do the job just fine.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

the yugos are a very good for the price stay away from the wasr 10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links