New shotty!

New shotty!

This is a discussion on New shotty! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Remington 870 12 Gauge Express Magnum with the 28" barrel/w modified choke and synthetic stock. It has under 100 rounds though ...

Thread: New shotty!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

New shotty!

I just bought a Remington 870 12 Gauge Express Magnum with the 28" barrel/w modified choke and synthetic stock. It has under 100 rounds though it. It came with a gun case (which is about one inch too short), a couple cleaning materials, a extra shell holder to put on the stock and about 50 7 1/2 shot shells.

All this for $150 (actually only wanted $100 for it). A friend was leaving town for school and just wanted it gone and however much cash I could give at the time. How did I do?

I'm looking for a home defense shotgun (AKA, shotgun project to along with my AR project), so it is a little too long for me. I was thinking about either getting a different barrel and switching a bunch of things, or just trading it at the next gunshow for different version more appropriate for my purposes. If I do go hunting with it, how much would a shorter barrel change things in that regard?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Keep the longer barrel if you want to hunt with it, you can find an after market 18" barrel rather cheap, and you still will be ahead on the deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

yep just buy a shorter barrel for HD or a cheap used barrel and cut it down to 18 1/2" to make sure it's leagal then have a bead sight installed or if it's a vent rib drill and tap the vent rib to screw a bead sight into.as far as case you can find them cheap in pawn shops
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

i had an 870 that i was going to outfit the same but after pricing the aftermarket items (barrel, stock, forend, etc...) i figured i'd just grab a maverick 88 for about the same amount if not less... the 88 is basically a no-frills moss500... just another option... your 870 is definitely a nicer gun than my 88 though...

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    ...All this for $150 (actually only wanted $100 for it). A friend was leaving town for school and just wanted it gone and however much cash I could give at the time. How did I do?...
    I think you paid $50 more than you should have.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I think you did good on the 870. Plenty of aftermarket stuff to make up the 870 anyway you wish and switch it back to suit , as your needs change. 28" is good all round barrel length. But for HD, I'd buy a shorter one.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I think you paid $50 more than you should have.
    Yeah, but I didn't feel like ripping off a friend, THAT much; just a little, LOL. He just really needed money, so giving him what I could with more towards what the gun was actually worth instead of what he was asking for it was, I felt, the most decent thing to do.

He was also selling a M&P for $200, but it had a couple problems (nothing that S&W wouldn't take care of; for free). Someone else got it off of him though.

I was thinking along the lines of an 18" barrel with a mag tub extension. The 20" would just be a little bit longer and could have more capacity, but it seems that 18" is the "thing". I plan on at least putting a G2 with a BOG LED drop-in on it.

Any good sites that sell the 18" barrel for a good price? I couldn't really find anything that really stood out, just Cabela's and Midway. Of course, any site that have cool doodads to go with it are welcome as well.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Congrats and WHAT A DEAL! I just (February) bought a Remington Express 18" bbl. from cheaperthandirt.com. Midway was out of stock on Mossy's barrels for three consecutive months! The bottom line (after shipping) with cheaperthandirt purchase was a whopping $6 more than Midway and I didn't have to wait. Pay the little extra and get the bona fide parkerized barrel for your Remmy.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Pay the little extra and get the bona fide parkerized barrel for your Remmy.
    The only ones I see are blued or matte blued. Where would a parkerized one be? Also, will the security model barrel fit on my Express?

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Yeah, but I didn't feel like ripping off a friend, THAT much; just a little, LOL...
    Just a little joke, I see you took it as much. Nice grab.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    MP - You are correct. I just figured mine behaved like a parkerized, weathered like one and looked like one (with matte blue) that it must be one. My short barrel works fine and the looks are close. I stand corrected. As for your security barrel fitting, I'm not 100% sure. Most of me says it will but I'd check Remington's site to be sure.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links