AR pistol grips...Why? Also, anyone have the one with bipod that pops out?

This is a discussion on AR pistol grips...Why? Also, anyone have the one with bipod that pops out? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I gotta say, they don't look to be very comfortable or make a stable shooting platform, but I've never held one, let alone shot with ...

Thread: AR pistol grips...Why? Also, anyone have the one with bipod that pops out?

I gotta say, they don't look to be very comfortable or make a stable shooting platform, but I've never held one, let alone shot with one. With their popularity though, I've gotta that they do more than just get in the way. What are your reasons for having one or not? Are they useful, or just tacti-cool?

Also, the only real reason I'm considering one is because I see one with a bipod that pops out of the bottom. Is this a useful bi-pod, as bi-pods go or is it junk?
    Last edited by Cupcake; August 16th, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's called a Grip Pod.

Don't have one.
    Grip Pod Systems™
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I have one, and it's nice for the standing shooting position, or the tactical employment which most of us don't practice a lot of. It adds some forward weight, and it can be a good location for light or laser pressure pad switches attached to black-sticky backed velcro. For most of these forward grips, you'll need a quad rail handguard, or rail underneath to attach to. Mine is not currently attached to my AR-15 although it is a nice option, and I do use it. Bipods....? Bipods only come in handy at the range bench, or a long range or high-power match. Otherwise, the bipods are reserved for the 10-14lb long range venue in my opinion. Police might like bipods also, for shooting off the hood of the cruiser......I don't like scratching my hood. My bipods are detachable and rely on the sling swivel stud. Again.....forward heavy if they are attached in a standing or moving firing position. Then again...they are removable, and cool to have depending on what you want. Look to the practical applications for true answers............what is the US military using? What do the soldiers like? If it's popular with them in battle conditions, then it's surely worth having. Your combined forward grip/bipod sounds like a hassle to me and forward heavy. It might get some oooo's and aaahhhs from your friends or shooting buddies, but if you can use it....what's the use? I wouldn't spend too much, better spent on ammo or cleaning supplies. That's just my opinion.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a vertical grip that springs out into a bipod. It was on sale and I wanted something that would let me be more accurate at the range. It works so far. Plus, by holding onto the grip that far forward and in that position, it helps keep a handle on muzzle flip.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Lead Moderator
    My understanding is a Vert grip helps in control of a full auto or burst fired weapon. Some people like em, I found it didn't help, but made my off hand shooting less stable.
    The Grip pod might make more sense as you can rest it on a table, ect for steadier shots.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The foregrip is utilized by some SOG team members and also some SWAT team members,I think it boils down to what you are comfortable with.I have paralysis of my right hand and it's hard to grip a normal forearm for me but the vertical grip allows me a full firm grip to control the muzzle,also some of the grips are firm enough to use as a monopod instead of using the forearm as support and gives you about 4" in more height if you need it.I think i read a story about the bipod and in combat in Iraq it would spring out of the grip without hitting the release,My mind ain't as sharp as it once was but like you I have researched a lot of accessories for my AR15's and pretty much have them where I want them,I go have a detachable bipod like ramrod was talking about and they are fairly inexpensive and can be taken off when not needed,It does weigh about 1 1/2 pounds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Joe Gadinni sent me one of his GRIP PODS when he serviced one of my suppressors.

I used for a long time on one of my AR's and not only is it a great vertical foregrip it give the shooter a stable platform from which to fire from the prone position.

I like them and it beats using your mag as a psuedo "Mono Pod"

I wound up sending it off to another Special Forces soldier with 7th SFG (A) He's currently using it in the sandbox.

Good stuff.

ETA: As to the "Why?" part of your question it boils down to several attributes. One is simply the ability to stabilize the weapon during repeated fire and auto fire.

Some prefer them some do not. I think as of now most are using them after some hemming and hawwing as to their importance during repeated fire.

Lastly, the ability use the remote pressure pads for the lights and IR laser pointers is much more easily accomplished by having those pressure sensitive pads on the vertical foregrip rather than up on the rail or handguards.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    It's called a Grip Pod.

Don't have one.
    Grip Pod Systems™
    Experiences I've heard differ from Skygod's. Come to think of it, I've not heard any glowing reviews about 'em. They suck up mud like nothin' and they don't work well when any kind of crud gets into the bottom.

-B

If you want to just try it out. They make an "airsoft" grip pod that sells for about $15 or so.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

I feel the forward pistol grip gives you better overall weapon control. Its easier to hang on to then just the rails if someone grabs the barrel in close quarters. It also aids in muzzle strikes. And it took me a while to get used to it but these days I find it more comfortable even in the prone. The only downside is it tends to poke me while slung

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Experiences I've heard differ from Skygod's. Come to think of it, I've not heard any glowing reviews about 'em. They suck up mud like nothin' and they don't work well when any kind of crud gets into the bottom.

-B
    I didn't say they where exactly perfect but they do give the shooter another option other than using his or her mag as monopod which is good.

As for mud getting into it. Just about every piece of kit and gear can get mud in the sandbox into it, on it, over it. all over it, or just dumped into it.

I like the idea and wish that I had one to have saved me from racking my mags and my elbows.

Just my .02. There's alway's naysayers out there that haven't ever used them or just read someones write up on the net.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Senior Moderator
    It also keeps your hand off the magazine well when shooting.

If you have a catastrophic failure, and you are holding the mag well, you might well lose more than a rifle.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Vert grips are mainly to help pull the rifle fimly into your shoulder to help negate muzzle rise. As mentioned above, it also gets your support hand away from the hanguards, magwell, and other parts that heat up during rapid fire. Another added perk is that it lets you maintain good control of your weapon when you're popping corners.

There's quite a few more little advantages that a vert grip gives you, but those are the main ones.

Btw: Grip-pods RULE. There are few things less comfortable than trying to line up a good shot in the prone while wearing 60+ lbs. of body armor. =D
    Only bring artillery when you intend to kill absolutely everything.

VIP Member
    Well, all ARs have a pistol grip. Now, whether or not they have a vertical fore-grip is another question....

I am another who took a long time to warm up to them, but now consider them key pieces of gear. They simply make manipulating the weapon easier.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsored Links