AR-15/AK Dilemma

This is a discussion on AR-15/AK Dilemma within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Yes, this is true... but its all about supply and demand. Have you tried to order a complete rifle from any ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15/AK Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, this is true... but its all about supply and demand. Have you tried to order a complete rifle from any of the major builders lately? If they quote you a 6-8 week delivery time you are lucky. Should the election go south people will be panic buying AR's even more so than they are now... and supply will dry up even further. Sure, you can find some on the shelves but the selection is slim unlike 5-6 years ago.

Remember the last AWB? Remember how preban stuff prices sky rocketed? I sold off a lot of my mags for over $100 a piece. I won't even post what I sold my preban Bushmaster for.

AK stuff saw some jumps too, but nearly as much as the AR's. Why? Because the US market is still flooded with surplus AK stuff. The AR stuff is largely new manufacture.

Me thinks you need to find a new FFL because I have no problem putting my hands on anything, uppers, lowers, or completely built rifles. Honestly one of the best options is to look in the sale section on a site like AR15.com and you can find some steals with a lot of work already done to them.

I do agree that is a Dem gets into office you will see prices rise due to demand but there will most certainly never be a shortage of rifles.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I don't need a new FFL, I can order direct from the factory... and I can also get whatever I want without to much hassle; for now. That is my point, get it now while the gettin is good.
    The AR is in higher demand these days and any ban will make it worse. You have to look ahead to stay ahead of potential supply problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Different usages. Frankly, I can't see any open sights well enough to make a 300 yard hit, and .223 is anemic compared to the .308 Win at 300yds+, which is why I have a scoped Steyr for such chores.

However, with a good build, and the aforementioned WWB, or similar Western-mad 7.62x39, the AK can easily hold its own in the 400m range. Kinda like saying a stock Chevy Nova can't compete on the drag strip. True, with stock, but with a little "accessorization"in rebuilding, they do quite well.

I'm no collector. I don't care about owning a "piece of firearms history" at this stage. Advising a guy with $1800 (firm)to spend, to be fully adequately equipped for the forseeable future with an EBR system, it's pretty well got to be the AK.

Granted, if you want to put optics on a precision rifle, the AR is a much better platform...but .308 is a much better caliber, which puts one in a completely different price bracket...

On the flip side of that coin a little accesorizing for an AR is cheap and produces accurancy an AK could never touch no matter what is done to it. Get yourself a free float, adjustable gas system, an aimpoint and you can be getting 1/2 MOA for just a few hundred bucks. I do not know of any AK that will produce those results no matter what is done to it. Of course I know a lot more about the AR platform than the AK so I could just be mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't need a new FFL, I can order direct from the factory... and I can also get whatever I want without to much hassle, but I have to wait. That tells me that supply isnt keeping up with demand just yet. The AR is in higher demand these days and any ban will make it worse. My point is, you have to look ahead to stay ahead of potential supply problems.
    Huh, are you having problems with all manufacturers?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Huh, are you having problems with all manufacturers?
    LOL, no! Thats not what I'm saying. I just have to wait for new stuff, like everyone else; that indicates there is no magic warehouse full of AR's waiting to be delivered. There are such things with AK's.

All I'm saying is, buy the AR now if you are worried about a new AWB. The value of AR's, parts and mags will climb way faster than the AK counterparts. Thats what happened in the '90's and it will happen again if a new AWB happens.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i had a similar dilemma a while back. i wanted an AK and an AR, but has a limited budget. the aura of an AK being evil looking and downright nasty eventually won me over. I picked up my ROMAK for $425 with a lot of goodies. the ARs are way out of my price range, and i wont settle for a real cheap one. the AK is great - the ammo is cheap, and it looks downright scary.

My AK is accurate up to 200+ yds which is good enough for me. they are rugged and dependable and require much less maintenance then an AR.

IMHO, i want to stick with one platform, which for me would be the AK. i am stockpiling ammo (for obvious reasons) will soon be buying spare parts for it as well. If i come into $, i will get an AR (which i happen to think are great rifles).
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    On the flip side of that coin a little accesorizing for an AR is cheap and produces accurancy an AK could never touch no matter what is done to it. Get yourself a free float, adjustable gas system, an aimpoint and you can be getting 1/2 MOA for just a few hundred bucks. I do not know of any AK that will produce those results no matter what is done to it. Of course I know a lot more about the AR platform than the AK so I could just be mis-informed.
    BTDT with a 20" HBar Bushy. I had a $1400 rifle. If I had the $$, I'd have it again. My priorities have been dictated by finances of late, tho'.

Homebuilders on barf.com report getting 1 MOA with US made ammo with their AKs. With $1000, I could build a milled receiver, Green Mountain barreled, AMax shooting AK one-holer, I guarantee (guys with a basic Rifle Dynamics rifle are getting 1MOA at 100, so a tad more receiver rigidity and improved piston track should enhance things for that last little "oomph!").

What are we after? For the $$, AKs are still a "best buy." They are not a "one-rifle-all-tasks" platform, but neither is the AR. Reasonable accuracy for reasonable cost, or extraordinary accuracy for extraordinary cost...? FYI, data specs for both the AK and AR is 2 MOA with Gvt. ammo...

I would note that most AK shooters are AK shooters because of the cheap rifle/ammo combo, and not because of any performance drive. Being cheap limits their options, understanding and experience with the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    BTDT with a 20" HBar Bushy. I had a $1400 rifle. If I had the $$, I'd have it again. My priorities have been dictated by finances of late, tho'.

Homebuilders on barf.com report getting 1 MOA with US made ammo with their AKs. With $1000, I could build a milled receiver, Green Mountain barreled, AMax shooting AK one-holer, I guarantee (guys with a basic Rifle Dynamics rifle are getting 1MOA at 100, so a tad more receiver rigidity and improved piston track should enhance things for that last little "oomph!").

What are we after? For the $$, AKs are still a "best buy." They are not a "one-rifle-all-tasks" platform, but neither is the AR. Reasonable accuracy for reasonable cost, or extraordinary accuracy for extraordinary cost...? FYI, data specs for both the AK and AR is 2 MOA with Gvt. ammo...

I would note that most AK shooters are AK shooters because of the cheap rifle/ammo combo, and not because of any performance drive. Being cheap limits their options, understanding and experience with the rifle.
    I hear what you are saying for sure, I picked up my AK for $400, never clean it, and it eats cheap wolf all day long so I am definitely a fan. I just shoot a lot of rifle/3-gun so I also want something I can double tap the A zone at 100 yards without blinking while still making steel shots out to 300 yards. I guess you were right on the money when you said it depends on what aplication the user is looking for. Different nails for different jobs.

No matter what any gun nut needs to have one of each in the safe

Great comments and valid points on both the AK & AR. I own both. From my standpoint the AR is a great rifle to shoot - tight groups & little recoil. The ammo is more expensive and the part selection is extensive. The AK is a thumper and with open sights and within 100 yards it is the rifle I prefer. The ammo is cheap and I don't have to be uber carefull with cleaning. I have Glocks and some high end 1911's. The AK is Glocklike in that it works, cleans up when you need to quickly and eats what you feed it. My AR ( at least to me ) is comparable to my 1911's - sharp as a tack on the target and a bit more high maintenance. I think there is a place for both. In fact I am seriously thinking of going the route of the gas piston AR but they are pricey. Anyway, my AK is and would be my go to rifle in a SHTF scenario.

Snatch up the AR-15
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it was me I wouldnt even look at the AR unless it was gas piston variant, there is a reason why a gas piston system is selling. That is the major advantage of the AK over the AR. Yeah the AR is better at range, but realistically when are you going to be shooting out to 400 meters. I can easilly tap a 8.5x11 paper at 200 meters with my M70 open sights. In a SHTF type situation I want something I know will go bang all the time, requires the least amount of maintenance. If you want a good 5.56 there are alot of options besides the AR.

Just found this thread...don't hate the messenger.
    I am also in the same boat....looking cause the new president is coming.
    The whole thread is here:Any Love For The AK? - 1911Forum

I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Great quote from that thread:

"I've always been told that the AR-15 is a lady and should be treated as such.

The AK-47, however, is a whore."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    Great quote from that thread:

"I've always been told that the AR-15 is a lady and should be treated as such.

The AK-47, however, is a whore."

Thats a classic line!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Whatever you buy, be darn sure you can afford to buy a couple of thousand rounds that you never touch, and a couple of thousand for practice.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links