AR-15/AK Dilemma

AR-15/AK Dilemma

This is a discussion on AR-15/AK Dilemma within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So heres my dilemma. I want both an AR-15 (Stag Model 3) and an AK (Vector Arms AKFP). I have juuust enough spending money for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AR-15/AK Dilemma

So heres my dilemma. I want both an AR-15 (Stag Model 3) and an AK (Vector Arms AKFP). I have juuust enough spending money for both, but if I bought both of them, Im down more than $1800 after shipping, FFL transfers, some magazines, and the like. On the other hand, I could spend under a grand on just the AK and get all the goodies for it too. Id preferably like to get them soon should Obama be elected and try and get rid of all the big bad assault weapons. What should I do? Splurge and buy both, or just buy one or the other. I cant say i need both, but you know how that is. Thanks
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

If I had enough jack, I'd get both. Thing is....don't forget to leave some ammo purchasing power in your pocket. If I had to chose only one, and roll the dice on the political outcome, it would probably be the AR-15, some mags, and ammo. IMO, quality AK's are overpriced these days. I'm not willing to head this in an AR/AK battle...why should I? I have both. If I had to sell one, I'd likely have a stroke, but the best return on investment would go...that would be the AK. Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Ram Rod, that pretty much sums it up.

You should have both rifles, if for no other reason than they are the two most common rifles in the world, and you should be familiar with operating both.

But, you don't have to get them both at once. Even if Obama is elected and makes gun control his highest priority, he still doesn't take office until next year and it will take several months to get anything through congress, especially with us fighting the whole way. I don't see this happening though - I think he'll have bigger fish to fry, though I'm just as scared of his plans there too.

I say get the AR first. It is the service rifle (with only slight differences) of this country, and magazines, ammunition, and accessories are plentiful. Buy your AK a few months later after you've built up enough cash.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I also vote for the AR first. It is, after all, our nation's service rifle. But go ahead and get the AK as soon as finances permit. You can accessorize after you have the weapon in hand. Same goes for ammo. Reloading is always an option, too.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    There is value in having both, but in your situation, I would buy the AR, a healthy supply of parts, ammo and mags. Then start working on the AK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'll differ. The easiest form of gun-control that can be initiated literally overnight is ammunition restriction. Yes, AR parts are prolific. They are also more expensive and you need more of them.

Buy a good AK. Buy 1-2 cases of Wolf Mil-Classic HP (most accurate/consistant through most AKs) and maybe 200 rounds of WWB that will give you AR-style accuracy(if you want it, or just go with the Wolf, which is pretty consistant at 2MOA), and 2 dozen metal commie mags.

Spares for the AK(mandatory):
    Extractor
    Bolt
    FCG
    Firing pin
    Pin retaining plate

Spares for the AR(mandatory):
    Bolt
    Gas rings
    Extractor
    Ejector
    Gas key
    Gas tube
    (preferrably) a full bolt carrier assy.
    FCG
    Bolt catch
    Firing pin

Spring kits for either.

Ammo is what runs your gun. The AK still has the advantage. You can survive 8 years and a couple of catastrophies on 2000 rounds...

Administrator
    Good points Rob, all are very worth considering. The main reason I chose the AR first though is that is the first supply of new rifles that will dry up... it already has to a degree.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would like to preface this with the fact that I also have both rifles. With that being said if you do not have an AR at this time you would be crazy to get an AK first. The accuracy you will acheive with a stock AR (1 in 9 twist) is far and above anything you will get out of a top end AK. In my opinion that is the most important thing. I use my AR for 3-gun matches and have no problem hitting steel out to 300-400 yards which would next to impossible for my AK. Don't get me wrong because I love the AK but it is more of a range toy and would not be used for anything that I really needed to hit at long range.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Good points Rob, all are very worth considering. The main reason I chose the AR first though is that is the first supply of new rifles that will dry up... it already has to a degree.

I am curious as to where you get your information as there are more companies manufacturing the AR platform than ever before.

I'd buy the AK first. The rifles and their support gear (mags, accessories, ammo) are cheaper, the rifles themselves are capable of plenty of practical accuracy which can of course be enhanced by better sights or an optic.

For what you'll spend on a nice AR, you can buy an AK, a case of ammo, and some extra mags.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    I am curious as to where you get your information as there are more companies manufacturing the AR platform than ever before.
    Yeah, I'm confused also.

The number one selling rifle is the AR15 and practically everyone has jumped on the bagwagon to manufacture them.

Demand is at it's highest, but supply is not a problem, currently as most manufacturers are churning out more and more. Prices have increased slightly over the last four years, but more and more like Double Star are popping up with offerings well below the $1,000 mark.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

what would one look for looking for an ak? and what would you expect to pay?

Administrator
    Yes, this is true... but its all about supply and demand. Have you tried to order a complete rifle from any of the major builders lately? If they quote you a 6-8 week delivery time you are lucky. Should the election go south people will be panic buying AR's even more so than they are now... and supply will dry up even further. Sure, you can find some on the shelves but the selection is slim unlike 5-6 years ago.

Remember the last AWB? Remember how preban stuff prices sky rocketed? I sold off a lot of my mags for over $100 a piece. I won't even post what I sold my preban Bushmaster for.

AK stuff saw some jumps too, but nearly as much as the AR's. Why? Because the US market is still flooded with surplus AK stuff. The AR stuff is largely new manufacture.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 19th, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just ordered a Double Star M4 A4 all tacked out including Eo Tech 512 from sling point, don't trust the election, already have a AK, I would get the AR first, just my .02 worth.

I use my AR for 3-gun matches and have no problem hitting steel out to 300-400 yards which would next to impossible for my AK. Don't get me wrong because I love the AK but it is more of a range toy and would not be used for anything that I really needed to hit at long range.
    Different usages. Frankly, I can't see any open sights well enough to make a 300 yard hit, and .223 is anemic compared to the .308 Win at 300yds+, which is why I have a scoped Steyr for such chores.

However, with a good build, and the aforementioned WWB, or similar Western-mad 7.62x39, the AK can easily hold its own in the 400m range. Kinda like saying a stock Chevy Nova can't compete on the drag strip. True, with stock, but with a little "accessorization"in rebuilding, they do quite well.

I'm no collector. I don't care about owning a "piece of firearms history" at this stage. Advising a guy with $1800 (firm)to spend, to be fully adequately equipped for the forseeable future with an EBR system, it's pretty well got to be the AK.

Granted, if you want to put optics on a precision rifle, the AR is a much better platform...but .308 is a much better caliber, which puts one in a completely different price bracket...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links