DTI Ar-15

This is a discussion on DTI Ar-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by centermass Currently in the market for a rifle. Found one for 750.00. It's a DTI AR-15. Anyone have experience with these rifles? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DTI Ar-15

Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    Currently in the market for a rifle. Found one for 750.00. It's a DTI AR-15. Anyone have experience with these rifles? Seems like a great deal, but I haven't had any experience with this brand. Any input would be appreciated.
    I have used one for over a year or so and it is used as my ranch firearm. That is to say it is called on frequently to do varmits etc. I have put thousands of rounds through it and have never had one single glitch. it is well cared for, but one needs to imagine how a ranch firearm might be used, well over and above most other firearm uses. It gets dirty, dusty, sometimes abused. I would have no issues recommending this product to anyone.

2. Remove Ads

I would not buy the DTI with the other options available. I wouldn't turn one down for a good deal though, but I also know what to do to squeeze every bit of reliability out of a rifle. If your budget is $750, grab a quality AK. A good one will easily hold 3 MOA with so-so ammo. If it doesn't, it's the shooter, not the gun. I will admit the sights aren't an asset though when shooting for accuracy. A red dot will make quite a difference.

If you can squeeze a bit more into the budget, a Folt can be had for $950 from G&R. There's no tax out of state but there is a small fee and an FFL fee when you pick it up which will vary from $10 to $50 (if you're the local idiot trying to rip people off).

Now, PSA makes good rifles but they're growing fast and little problems are slipping through now and then. This will be the cheapest while still having all the best materials and quality. Bravo Co can be had for a good price as well if you do your homework. I can point you n the right direction if you're interested at any point.

The Del-Ton's will likely be okay, but there are better brands for the money and in the long run, it will likely pay off. Not trying to take anything away from Del-Ton owners, but we don't always know what our future use may be. Right now, it may be a monthly plinker. Next year you might get an invite to a carbine course and decide that's now your thing. When you get into high round counts in short periods of time, hat's where quality will really show and make a difference. If it'll never see more than a few mags now and then, it likely won't make as much of a difference.

Rifles like the Del-Ton though will always have larger gas ports which means sooner erosion and sharper recoil. Of course 5.56 recoil isn't bad, but I'll take less given the option. The other down side is that over-gassing will make it more susceptible to certain malfunctions.

I have a few friends with holes in them that will likely disagree about how nnaccurate the AKs are. ;). Not to get nto the stories too much, but one buddy's 6 man team was pinned down after an IED by three guys with AKs from over 200 to 300 meters. Very outside the norm of situations they've been in before and three were hit. So, with the AK, it's often the shooter.

I'm not the best shot, but I can take any AK off the shelf and hold 4 MOA from prone with surplus ammo. While I can squeeze a hair better than 2 MOA ten shot groups out of my 14.5 BCM barrel with match ammo, 193 gives me consistent 3 minute groups and 855 is good for 3.5 on average. This is with a T1 and sometimes with KAC irons. The AK comes close in terms of accuracy for me, but with irons I wouldn't want even as a backup.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    This thread is 3 years old. Looks like he already bought it. I was annoyed by the "AK's aren't accurate past 50 yards" statement. Sure maybe if you've never shot a rifle in your entire life.

What the heck… I can't believe I missed that.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links