Newbie to AR's, lots of questions

This is a discussion on Newbie to AR's, lots of questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting, thank you. The bullet never reached Mireles's chest That's true, I doubt a .308 would have either. He was shot in the left arm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie to AR's, lots of questions

OD*
    Interesting, thank you.

The bullet never reached Mireles's chest
    That's true, I doubt a .308 would have either. He was shot in the left arm with the gun held at port arms.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

It would have hurt more. :)

OD*

~ Tiger McKee

Lightbulb Not totally the platform -- it's the ROUND it fires!

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    I believe he referring to the heavy fire backup. I'm familiar with Chief Watson and have his books.
    http://www.realseal.org/

I think that's the first time I've read most SEAL preferred the M-14, can you direct my to where you found that information? If you're not too set in your ways about the M-16, you may find THE BLACK RIFLE: M16 RETROSPECTIVE: ENHANCED 2ND ED. by R. Blake Stevens & Edward C. Ezell, informative. It dispels many myths, misconceptions and out right fabrications about the AR series of rifles.
    What makes you so certain that this book wasn't written specifically to be a defense of the gun (and also the industrial types who made zillions of $$ from it)? I take my opinions from multiple resources including personal experience. I do have some specific problems with the M16 platform, but those have been fairly addressed by design "tweaks" over the years....although recent reports from the sand box seem to suggest new problems to be addressed. But really, my problem is with the 5.56mm rd. For ex if TPTB wanted to field the next M4 in the new 6.8mm cal, I think that'd be perfectly fine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Seems 7.62X41 would be a good way to go. You could shoot the 7.62X39 but they couldn't shoot your ammo, since AK variant are so world wide in use.

Thumbs down Spray and Pray?

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I believe I read somewhere that the AR-15 was conceived with the notion that aimed shots did not affect outcome in battle - therefore - more lead in the air the better. We could almost say the AR-15 is the result of spray-n-pray military indoctrination. :)
    WOW! TRUER words were never spoken! Bullseye. We need to revert to the beliefs of the book on WWI sniping called A Rifleman Went to War and the authors name escapes me right now. I think it's MacBride?

I think if you'll look at current reports coming from the sandbox, the mucho lead in the air doctrine doesn't work as well as the odd angry and accurate shot. Especially in CQB situations. Maybe a hybrid technique...a 'la Robert A. Heinlein: Get a shot off FAST then make your second shot perfect....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    For certian applications the 7.62 is better , but for CQB and F/A or burst fire, give me a controllable 5.56 over the 7.62. I think this fact was 1 reason for the M-16 to be put in service. M-14's were hard to control F/A. as far a long distance though, give me a 7.62 any day.

bottom line the AR is a fun, controllable, easy to re configure gun. Lots of parts to be had and easy to change out. From the reports I have been reading the new Springfield M1A's have issues.

OD*
    What makes you so certain that this book wasn't written specifically to be a defense of the gun (and also the industrial types who made zillions of $$ from it)?
    Well, I suppose that it could be military-industrial complex conspiracy but this books seems unbiased, showing warts and all.

I take my opinions from multiple resources including personal experience
    Same in my case, but in the private sector for hands on experience and second hand information from Vets who used the weapon in combat.

But then again, as the old saw goes,"History is but a lie agreed upon."

~ Tiger McKee

Then there is the 'contract' soldier in Iraq who , unlike the US forces who can only use FMJ, shot an Iraqi soldier from several hundred yards away with a hollow point .223 and hit the guy in the left butt cheek. The bullet climbed up into the lower abdomen and began shredding most all of his lower organs, ie intestines, stomach, liver, spleen etc. and of course resulted in death , all from a 'butt' shot !!!.
    The M4 .223 Bushmaster I have has impressed me many times, for instance the other day I leaned a bar of 3/16" thick steel up against a 8" diameter walnut tree back in my woods and fired a XM193 FMJ at it from approx. 100' away. It punched a 3/8" diameter hole through the steel bar and when I went to retrieve it, saw it had also went thru the walnut tree and left a good sized exit hole on the back side of the tree.
    I was impressed.
    As far as shot placement, yep , of course that is most important but most all of the deaths from the D.C. sniper a while back were from a single shot, one which went in an arm, through the arm into the chest cavity, where it proceeded to tear apart the heart and lung. !
    People can poo poo the .223 all they want but it's not a bad bullet at all.
    Even the Russian AK 47 maker went to a smaller bullet when they created the AK 74 . Yes the AK 47 has a larger more 'energized' bullet, but like the .223, the AK 74 bullet goes into a more tumbling tissue destructor than the larger one.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Hey, this is better than the old revolver versus Semi-Automatic debate. I took basic training with the M-14 7.62 x 51 MM and found it to be a great gun. Hard hitting, superbly accurate, and the weapon and ammunition heavy as hell. It was also impossible to control on full automatic, so most M-14's had the selector locked on semi. I went through infantry training with a really beat up M-16 that worked anyway. When I went across the pond, they gave me a brand new M-16A1. After zeroing the weapon and putting twenty 18 rounds magazines through it, I never looked back. It never, ever, let me down. As far as "knock down power" I don't recall seeing anyone jumping right back up after getting hit with a 5.56MM M193 round. I do remember an NVA that took a round of 5.56 in the left bicep and was dead by the time we got to him. Our medic said it was hydrostatic shock that killed him. I also know of a VC that took a burst of three rounds of M-60 (7.62) ammunition and walked into our perimeter to surrender. He became a "Kit Carson" scout for the Special Forces three months later! I have a lot of faith in the AR-15/M-16 design. The first gun I bought when I got home was a Colt AR-15 SP-1. I still have it. ALway's will.
    Attached Images

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good information. You all have given me much more information than I could find on the internet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links