Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning I decided it's time to reserve an "EBR" before the supply is dried up. My FFL dealer had a special going on with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15

This morning I decided it's time to reserve an "EBR" before the supply is dried up. My FFL dealer had a special going on with the S&W M&P15s, so I put a brand new one on layaway. It has all the features I want (detachable carry handle and collapsible stock). When I was looking at the display model, it appeared to have a bayonet lug (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I'm really excited about this being my first AR-15 rifle. I love the low recoil on these things, and they're more accurate than my WASR-10 AK-47.

If anyone has one of these S&W ARs, let me know your experience with it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

I just put an AR on layaway as well. Good choice!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I've had my M&P for about a year and a half. I've only put maybe 500-700 rounds through it and no problem yet. Only use brass ammo as I was told the steel cased stuff will tear up the extractor. Yes my rifle does have a bayonet lug. Which model did you pick up? They have more options now than they did a year ago. Mine is a M&P 15 A.

I picked up the one with the carry handle on it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

i have 1

i got it for x-mas it has ran great i got the basic model w/detachable
    carry handle i look all over at deffrent ones and for the price and quilty
    we got a great product and i got 5 mags with it due to the
    rebate program they have

My cousin bought one about a year ago. He ordered some PMags for it and when they came in, they would not fit the gun. He called S&W and they told him that the lower was out of spec. Everything else works great AFAIK. I had several mags for mine, so I just traded with him. If you decide to get any PMags, you may want to try them out first to make sure they will fit.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Have not heard anything bad about them looks to be a quality product. Personaly I have not shot one but would like to

I have Pmags for mine and they work fine. That's odd.

From doing some reading on this particular one, the earlier rifles had a slightly thicker mag well, making it impossible to use Pmags without a bit of filing. S&W has since addressed this issue, and they can accept them without modification. I hope that is the case with mine.

I also bought one, with detatchable carry handle, but only because the other ones on the rack did not have iron sights, ended up paying about 300 more for the detatchable handle when all I really wanted was iron sights.

Please forgive the newb question here, but I figured I would deal with it, and since I was out of the service about the time the a2 came around I found the sight on the rear was nice,, I know for those who are used to the ar platform now thats no big deal, for me It was,, but here is my next problem,, I hear eotech is the way to go with optics, but I am very hessitant to spend any more cash right now, and before I do, Since my front sight is fixxed am I going to have to get a higher mount? I saw the "cowitness" that fits on top of the carry handle but rides foward of the end of the carryhandle, will I have to buy new handguards now as well to adapt? Personally I dont need a foward grip so the quad rail was not something I wanted, but I am getting past the age where my sight is good out to 300 yards, (the farthest I want to shoot this anyway) and since it has a 1/9 twist I was curious, anyone have a suggestion on optics? since the carry handle on mine is detachable is there a nice 4x power scope set up that will let me hit out further, I really dont want to pay more than $400 for optics, and in all honesty the rifle is just a dust collector I had to have. IF anyone has an opinion on this please shoot me a pm, since I have not been logging on much lately, I will get to it about the time I have the cash for optics, I do know this though if I do go with an eotech it is gonna be the aa batteries, anyone who has the mp15 with an eotech care to let me know how you mounted yours and if you think it was worth it would save me a hefty bit of cash and would be much appreciated,,,,,, again this is a dust collector sitting in the safe, not something I want to spend a load of cash on.. thanks

I picked up my new M&P15 this morning. It seems to be an excellent quality rifle, except the collapsible stock wobbles a bit, but not too worried about it. I like the fact that the bolt locks back on an empty magazine, unlike my AK. I haven't shot it yet (It's been in my possession a whole ten minutes now), but hope to very soon. Fit and finish are excellent, and looks great!

A buddy of mine has my camera right now, so I'm unable to post the obligatory picture(s). This is my first AR-15, and hopefully won't be my last.

Congrats

I have one and love it. shoots 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards. Only malfunction was ammo related. other than that well over 1000 rds and it has been perfect.

I use an ACOG for siting. The slight magnification goes a long way in a shootout. Our unit used to use Aimpoints and EOtechs but then we got the ACOG's in and never looked back.
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

I put an AR-15 on layaway as well. It's not an M&P, but a Stag Arms. Thinking about another AR or a FAL in Layaway before November. Leaning towards the FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    I also bought one, with detatchable carry handle, but only because the other ones on the rack did not have iron sights, ended up paying about 300 more for the detatchable handle when all I really wanted was iron sights.

Please forgive the newb question here, but I figured I would deal with it, and since I was out of the service about the time the a2 came around I found the sight on the rear was nice,, I know for those who are used to the ar platform now thats no big deal, for me It was,, but here is my next problem,, I hear eotech is the way to go with optics, but I am very hessitant to spend any more cash right now, and before I do, Since my front sight is fixxed am I going to have to get a higher mount? I saw the "cowitness" that fits on top of the carry handle but rides foward of the end of the carryhandle, will I have to buy new handguards now as well to adapt? Personally I dont need a foward grip so the quad rail was not something I wanted, but I am getting past the age where my sight is good out to 300 yards, (the farthest I want to shoot this anyway) and since it has a 1/9 twist I was curious, anyone have a suggestion on optics? since the carry handle on mine is detachable is there a nice 4x power scope set up that will let me hit out further, I really dont want to pay more than $400 for optics, and in all honesty the rifle is just a dust collector I had to have. IF anyone has an opinion on this please shoot me a pm, since I have not been logging on much lately, I will get to it about the time I have the cash for optics, I do know this though if I do go with an eotech it is gonna be the aa batteries, anyone who has the mp15 with an eotech care to let me know how you mounted yours and if you think it was worth it would save me a hefty bit of cash and would be much appreciated,,,,,, again this is a dust collector sitting in the safe, not something I want to spend a load of cash on.. thanks
    You can mount the Eotech directly to the upper receiver in place of the carry handle. This will give you an even co-witness. RRA makes a nice riser with an integral rear sight that will lift the Eotech about .25" and give you your iron sights as well as a lower 1/3 co-witness. I'm running this setup on one of my ARs and it is working well for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links