First AR-15 Question...

First AR-15 Question...

This is a discussion on First AR-15 Question... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering buying a AR-15 here before the November election. I know almost nothing about rifles in general. I am not looking for something ...

First AR-15 Question...

I am considering buying a AR-15 here before the November election. I know almost nothing about rifles in general. I am not looking for something real fancy, I just want one with a removable carrying handle because I want to put a holo sight on the rifle. As much as I would want to spend is 1000 dollars. Please help me your thoughts on brands, (or a specific model) becuase I want to make sure I get a good quality rifle becuase I dont want to be fixing a rifle often.

Also, what advantages does a gas piston rifle give?

Thanks all.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I don't know much about AR rifles either, but have been researching as much as I can in preparation of acquiring my first one. I think you'll be able to buy a Bushmaster, DPMS, or even a Rock River Arms for less than 1000. Or you can try building your own too. Anyway, good luck to ya!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Yeah the main brands I have been looking at are the Bushmaster M4A2, and the Stag Models. Im not sure what the main differences are, for most of my shopping has been on gunbroker.

Again any help would be great.
    NRA Member

From my limited research, a gas piston system is easier to clean and requires less cleaning in general. However, there is supposedly an increase in perceived recoil over the standard gas impingement system.

I'm sure others far more experienced than I could provide a better answer.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    From my limited research, a gas piston system is easier to clean and requires less cleaning in general. However, there is supposedly an increase in perceived recoil over the standard gas impingement system.

I'm sure others far more experienced than I could provide a better answer.

-JT
    No there is not.

The piston system is more reliable than DI. And it works better with suppessors/short barrels.
    Nothing wrong with the DI system however. RRA, BM, Stag are good choices. I don't care for DPMS though.

I build all my AR's,you can buy a stripped lower receiver"the registered part"for between 90.00 and 140.00 then there are several companys that sell kits on the internet for around 495.00 w/bolt carrier group,you can also select barrel length, chrome lined ,type of upper A2 A3 or A4,type of buttstock etc.the options may increase the price,as far as fixing broke AR15's mine only need routine cleaning and shoot great.most kits have the upper receiver pre-assembled so you don't need any special tools to assemble one like an upper receicer block and barrel wrench
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I recently found myself is the same situation as you. I settled on an Armalite M-15A4. Short barrel, collapsible stock, flat top with a front iron sight. I didn't need the carrying handle - no sense paying for parts you don't need. I added an iron sight from cheaperthandirt.com, got a spare mag and a bore brush for just about a grand.

The brands I looked at:
    DPMS - Very nice finish, but the buzz is that their QC has declined.
    Bushmaster - Good Option, 1 year warranty
    Olympic Arms - Crap shoot - very poor QC, and inconsistent manufacturing standards - it might be good, might not.
    Armalite - Good Option, Lifetime warranty, and a better (IMHO) finish than the bushmaster.

I've see the Rock River Arms, and have never heard anything bad about them, but none of my local dealers stock them.

You can see my rifle here (except mine came with desert tan furniture):
    M15A4 CARBINE (.223) CHR. BLK A2 FRONT SIGHT W/O CARRY HANDL
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I'm on my third Bushmaster. I love 'em. I like the removable carry handle option as well since I use it for an added optics platform. If you look enough, I don't see any reason you can't get on with the options you want for $850 or less.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    For this one you need a specialized site I suggest AR15.com and M4carbine.net.

I have 9 Ar's all different with every set up you can imagine.
    For my friends with limited money who need a general rifle for many things I suggest an A-2.
    1. High Standard, makes a decent A-2 that you can use in Service rifle competition if need be. Cost, the $500 buck range.
    2. Rock River makes an A'2 for the 600 buck range.
    3. Bushmaster does the same.

For the above you can put a goosneck mount on the sight and mount an Aimpoint.

That said, one of my son's is into Service rifle and National Match competition and so he got the Rock River National Match A-2. He has the Aimpoint Goosneck and an Aimpoint for Home Defense if he needs it. Cost, $1200 for the gun which is really a match piece with outstanding accuracy.

The other son has a simple Bushmaster M-4gery with an EOTech on it.

I have too many to mention and they are all tricked up, one of them is in the 4K range and is a Gas Trap from Arms Tech.

Don't spend the bucks for a gas piston. It is not a real improvement for anything you will ever encounter. For your financial situation I'd get a basic rifle and enjoy the hell out of it.
    Go to the E&E on AR15.com and see what you can get used.

Interesting little comparison chart for ya...

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

I have built about 6 AR15's get a kit, get a lower and in about 2 hours max you have a AR15. Here is my latest one.....

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I've got a Bushmaster Varminter and an Armalite AR-10T. The Bushmaster is about 4 or 5 years old and I picked up the Armalite used about 2 months ago and it is about 8 or 9 years old. When I purchased new 2nd Generation magazines I found they didn't work very well. I sent an email to Armalite and soon received a call from them. Through the phone call the Armalite Tech, figured out I needed a new bolt stop and magazine catch. They sent me the parts for no charge and my rifle works flawlessly now. I must say I'm impressed with their customer service.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links