Traded for an AK

Traded for an AK

This is a discussion on Traded for an AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I recently had the opportunity to straight up trade a 6 shot S&W 686 (2 years old, maybe 200 rounds through her) for a ...

Traded for an AK

Well, I recently had the opportunity to straight up trade a 6 shot S&W 686 (2 years old, maybe 200 rounds through her) for a MAK90 (neutered Chinese AK, thumbhole stock, no bayonette lug). The MAK90 appears brand new...does not appear to have been fired. It came with one 30rd magazine. I also bought a sealed spam can (700 rds) of 7.62x39 for $140 ($0.20 per round). How'd I do?

VIP Member
    Rob.. I am not up to speed on the MAK prices but the average online price per round of 7.62x39 is around 0.24 so not bad at all
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    I'd have kept the 686 and got a Romak or Yugo AK that wasnt neutered for around 400.

GunBroker is showing 686's for around for an average of about 550-600.

Still though, if you are happy, thats all that matters.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    Well, I recently had the opportunity to straight up trade a 6 shot S&W 686 (2 years old, maybe 200 rounds through her) for a MAK90 (neutered Chinese AK, thumbhole stock, no bayonette lug). The MAK90 appears brand new...does not appear to have been fired. It came with one 30rd magazine. I also bought a sealed spam can (700 rds) of 7.62x39 for $140 ($0.20 per round). How'd I do?
    How did you do? Well, let's put it this way...........how many times have you stole candy from a baby? I remember the days when the MAK 90's were going for $169 and they were a step up from the SKS (which at the same time were going for around $99.95). In my opinion, the MAK was the best available (at the time). Don't let the thumbhole stock deter anyone's thinking. There's a reason some of the better quality AK clones were only available this way, and it had to do with importation restrictions. I also remember the MAK was made available in the .223 and that seemed even more popular (when it came available) than the 7.62. I'm almost as excited for you as you are for you! Great find, great deal! Boy----you know some of us would sure like to see some pics! IMO, after the Russian rifle availability started to dry up, the Chinese made rifles more than made up for the lack. IMO, most of them (Norinco mainly) are of better quality although the stock sets may have a shorter pull length for us Americans they're still most desirable. You made out like a bandit, and again....IMO, if you turn around and sell it or trade it, you'd need to have your head checked!

MAKs are sweet...

if you want to "De-Ban" it, this place sells great furniture that is American made (counts for 3 of your six 922 compliance parts). AKpage
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    MAKs are sweet...

if you want to "De-Ban" it, this place sells great furniture that is American made (counts for 3 of your six 922 compliance parts). AKpage

Cool, thanks for the link.
    I'd like to post pictures but I don't have a way to do it right now.

Just in case you don't already know this...if you decide to de-ban, In addition to the stock set, you'll need 3 extra parts. I'd just throw in a Tapco G-2 fire control group (trigger, hammer, disconnector). If you go this route, make sure to use one of the pin retaining plates (tapco or KCI) so you don't have to fiddle with the Shepherd's Crook when re-assembling the FCG.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links