Bushmaster $1200 deal???

This is a discussion on Bushmaster $1200 deal??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was offered an almost brand new (either 40rnds or 400rnds thru in it) AR15 for $1200 *Bushmaster upper *Bushmaster lower *20" Fluted barrel *2.5 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster $1200 deal???

Question Bushmaster $1200 deal???

I was offered an almost brand new (either 40rnds or 400rnds thru in it) AR15 for $1200
    *Bushmaster upper
    *Bushmaster lower
    *20" Fluted barrel
    *2.5 lbs two stage trigger kit -can't remember what brand
    *5.56 mm
    *carry handle
    *some kinda compensator (not like the one on the picture below)
    Can't remember more. Definitely looked like this: can you tell by now that I am clueless about rifles?

The rifle was tuned-built by my gunsmith and I believe it would be one hell of a rifle -eats everything and goes bang every time.
    I am not looking for a rifle to shoot matches nor to hunt.
    The reason is why I am thinking about buying one is our next president.
    It might be a SHTF rifle only.
    I would not even consider getting a rifle if I wouldn't be worried about possible AWB's coming at us again---> if not getting one now - you not gonna get one in the next 8 years possibly.

So is it worth it? It's damn sexy and ergonomic, but the performance of the 7.62 round from a Bulgarian AK is still giving me sleepless nights. Not set yet...but don't wanna pass on a good deal either. And sure enough I am not buying two different platforms either. Yeah I went thru countless threads in the past weeks on AK's and AR's. Pretty much a Chevy vs Ford thing, don't even worth to ask about it.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

2. Remove Ads

$1200 seems pretty high to me...It would depend on how well I knew the 'gunsmith' and his work. How many magazines is he including?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    $1200 seems pretty high to me...It would depend on how well I knew the 'gunsmith' and his work. How many magazines is he including?
    Well he built-tuned all my competition guns and my carry gun.
    I prefer his work above every brand what exists ie, Wilson, Ed Brown, Bear , STI etc.
    I have high end 1911's but the quality is joke compared to his work.
    Seems like that everybody is just out there for the quick money.

Buying an AR or AK would result to a trip to his shop...just to fix the things what should have been worked out in the factory first place.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHun
    ...can you tell by now that I am clueless about rifles?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHun View Post

Buying an AR or AK would result to a trip to his shop...just to fix the things what should have been worked out in the factory first place.
    If you are clueless about rifles, what makes you think that any production AR would need more work?

$1200 for a used Bushmaster is too much, give us a detailed build sheet of what it has and it might be worth it, but who knows.

Know this, BM only has a limited 1yr warranty, and the work done to the rifle in question has voided said warranty.

If anything happens to your smith friend, you're left with a Frankengun with unknown parts and no valid warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you are clueless about rifles, what makes you think that any production AR would need more work?
    Simply guess....high end semi custom 1911's needed work, all of them (other platforms too) I assumed a production AR falls to that category too.

$1200 for a used Bushmaster is too much, give us a detailed build sheet of what it has and it might be worth it, but who knows.
    No worksheet, might get one when I go back. Assume all the parts are fitted now as they should have been.

Know this, BM only has a limited 1yr warranty, and the work done to the rifle in question has voided said warranty.

If anything happens to your smith friend, you're left with a Frankengun with unknown parts and no valid warranty.
    All my 1911's lost (currently Bears-STIs) the warranty after we fixed barrel timing, clearances etc. They are not self destructing machines anymore. They ran before thanks to the design not because of the quality work.
    First place you don't need warranty if they are put together right. They will run for many years under the heavy usage of a competition shooter and they last for many lifetimes for the average plinker.
    High impact parts what tend to go first (slide stop, firing pin stop $5 -$50) don't even worth to ship it back to the factory...

Get the barrel timing fixed on that TRS and don't ask me who builds those so called Les Baer parts. (slide-frame-firing control)

Well I am just gathering information on the AR basically....thanks to our soon to be president.

Thanks for the replies Guys, keep them coming, I hate to admit but I am dumb like a rock when we talk about rifles.
    This is a good place to learn. thanks,

Administrator
    Its to high.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mine was closer to $900...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes it seems to be on the high side definitely.
    If I am correct a new Bushmaster is in the $800-$900 price range.
    But add the trigger kit ( I did a quick search and you looking at approx $150 plus installation) add the gunsmith tuning and you are in the neighborhood of the $1200.

Yes it is not cheap, and slightly used.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its to high.
    Motion seconded. I don't know the smith, and it sounds like many here won't, so you have to understand where our distrust will come from. JD's point is a solid one. You're paying $1200 for a rifle where, regardless of how much you like a guy or his work, there is no more warranty and is still a Bushmaster.

What are your expectations of accuracy? What type of ammo do you plan on feeding it? Will you be doing more than benchrest shooting with it (3-gun, carbine courses, etc.)? Iron sights or optics? General or purpose-built?

You get the idea.

My votes with the others who've said it's too much. You can do better for that price.

-B

A rip off in my book. It's hard to get a bad AR-15.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've got a nephew that is really into coyote hunting and had a $3000 AR built just for that job. He had quite a bit of trouble with it after taking delivery of it. Later I got interested in a more accurate AR and asked him for his opinion. He said if he had it to do over again he would purchase a Bushmaster Varminter and save himself $2000. After picking up an Armalite a couple of months ago, I think I would tend to go with the lifetime warranty of the Armalite. I've also got a Bushmaster Varminter and it's a great accurate rifle but my 8 or 9 year old used Armalite was taken care of by the warranty without any problems. A great company with good customer service.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

A new decked out DPMS will set you back about $1000... which is the better deal to you. Just my .02 cents.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Administrator
    You can never recoup the labor costs in custom guns, it drives me nuts when people don't understand this. Unless that is exactly what you want and you will use all those features, it is priced 2-300 to high...and you will never be able to sell it yourself for that money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I wouldn't pay $1200 for a used Bushmaster no matter what's been added to it. Throw in a dozen 30 round magazines and 1000 rounds of ammo.......and maybe.

Also, do you really want a 20" barrel with an AK muzzle brake for a SHTF gun? Could you move through your house effectively with that? For that money you can buy good parts and build one to your exact specs. I'd choose a 14.5" barrel with permanent flash hider. It is a MUCH handier sized gun. No offense, but the rifle in the picture looks like something that got built with leftover parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links