Need a Low Cost AR

Need a Low Cost AR

This is a discussion on Need a Low Cost AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been wanting an AR since I first laid my hands on one. Now with the elections coming up I'm getting really worried. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a Low Cost AR

I have been wanting an AR since I first laid my hands on one. Now with the elections coming up I'm getting really worried. I had planned to use some of next years income tax return to purchase one. But I am worried that will be too late. So my question is what is the best low cost AR that I could get. I'm a young parent and as with most of you money is tight and there are alot of things that come before a gun. I'm just trying to find a lost cost solution. If anyone has any spare used AR parts laying around they would be willing to part with fairly cheap pm me. Thanks to all in advance

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Last gun show on Aug. 23rd in Dallas, Texas there were several AR's under the $700.00 dollar mark. Olympia Arms I think.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Moderator
    The lowest cost for one is to build one.
    Get a strip lower, they go anywhere from 70-150 bucks.
    Buy a kit.The kits go anywhere from about 400- 600. The kit has everything except the lower. Most come with a fully assembled top half, so you dont have to mess with that. They are easy to build and anyone with a minimal amount of skill can do it. All it takes it a couple of pin punches and a small hammer.

Asssemble it.
    There you have it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I think the cheapest full guns out there are going to come from Model 1 Sales in kit form.

For example:
    Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

This is a 16" carbine that can be had from as little as $460 plus the cost of a stripped lower (under $100 if you look around, I think there's a group buy going on elsewhere on the forum). You can play with the configuration on that page and find something that meets your needs and your budget. If you had a little more to spend you could get a complete gun from Charles Daly Defense, Stag Arms, and several other manufacturers for under $1000, compared to the $1300+ for Colt, Noveske, and others.

Grant at G&R Tactical has a 'budget build' AR kit for around $659. Kit has everything but trigger and hammer to avoid the excise tax.

I don't know much about AR's, but I do know Grant and G&R is one of the more respected shops out there.

Budget AR Build $659!! - M4Carbine.net Forums
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Cheepest I have seen was a lower with furniture that I got on sale, coupled with an A1 surplus upper. $125 for the lower and furniture, $60 for the lpk, $225 for the upper, another $100-150 for the bolt and misc. missing parts.

I have not shot it yet - hell I have not assembled it yet - but might this weekend. Bonus on it is it will be very light. Negative is that it will not fire heavier bullets - but I have other AR's that do that quite nicely anyway.
    ---
    Technically the stripped lower is the rifle (requires FFL). That could always change of course. The rest of the stuff is mail order.

Here's my current suggestion. Get one of these to start...sounds like one heck of a deal to me if I were contemplating building an AR.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aler-cost.html
    Then find the build kits online, or pick up an issue of Shotgun News. While creating your lower, be looking around at options for the uppers--complete or kits. I don't know what any folks think about sarcoinc.com, but they have all of the separate parts as well as some kits. Even going with a complete upper, you may be able to come out in the $650 range and your invested time and workmanship. Seriously.

Most kits come with a complete assembled upper due to the fact it requires a barrel wrench and vice blocks to put together,it also may have to do with liability issues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So it's really that easy to DIY an AR15?

Between the DS lower, and a "kit", there's everything I need to have a working shooting AR15?

If you can't tell, I know nothing about rifles much less an AR15.

Can you show this noob a kit or 2? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Here's my current suggestion. Get one of these to start...sounds like one heck of a deal to me if I were contemplating building an AR.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aler-cost.html
    Then find the build kits online, or pick up an issue of Shotgun News. While creating your lower, be looking around at options for the uppers--complete or kits. I don't know what any folks think about sarcoinc.com, but they have all of the separate parts as well as some kits. Even going with a complete upper, you may be able to come out in the $650 range and your invested time and workmanship. Seriously.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

VIP Member

Why are you worrieed?

Quote Originally Posted by pwfd1613 View Post
    I have been wanting an AR since I first laid my hands on one. Now with the elections coming up I'm getting really worried.
    Why are you worried?

Seriously. Things will be just fine no matter how the election goes.

If you are having some sort of thoughts that the election (either way it goes) could cause increases in racial violence, I think you are mistaken.

There are plenty of good reasons to own an AR, but concern about social unrest due to the election isn't one of them.

Model 1 sales for a kit (450 and up) , and buy a seperate lower receiver (100-150)

Kits are easy to assemble. The lower is pretty simple and you will have no problem if you have a good parts diagram. The uppers may require a special tool to install the barrel, but many vendors supply the top end complete.

Lower... Install the hammer,trigger,sear, safety with springs and pins. Add the bolt lock,spring, and pin (little delicate for the pin). Add the receiver extension tube,detent, and spring. Add the recoil spring and buffer. Add the springs and detents for the takedown pins, one screw into the back of the buttstock, and one through the pistol grip.

The top end is one nut for the barrel, drop the gas tube in place, pin the gas tube, cram on the handguard, maybe install the front sight post/detent/spring, and flash hider. On the upper receiver, spring/ball and the rear sight drops in, drop in the forward assist and pin it, then add the ejection port cover and circlip. Voila.... Takes longer to write it than to do it :)

It really has nothing to do with racial violence. It has more to do with a new AWB that I feel the anti's might push for. But with that being said yes I do also feel that it would be nice to have if the SHTF.

VIP Member

Good

Quote Originally Posted by pwfd1613 View Post
    It really has nothing to do with racial violence. It has more to do with a new AWB that I feel the anti's might push for. But with that being said yes I do also feel that it would be nice to have if the SHTF.
    Good.

So easy a caveman can do it...

Check out Del-ton.com. I just built my first AR using a M4 kit from them. Their kits start at $475 I think. You can upgrade certain parts and the price goes up from there. Mine was $555 because I upgraded the barrel to a chrome lined 1x7 twist and the M4 feed ramps. I ordered it on Tuesday night and got it on Thursday. Can't beat that.

My stripped lower cost $130 from Anvil Arms ($100 lower, $10 shipping and $20 FFL transfer fee). Del-ton's kits come with the upper receiver already put together. Just install the lower parts kit and you're done. It literally takes 30 minutes and only requires a hammer and a punch. There are 2 good videos on youtube for assembling these.

David

Guys, I just want to be completely certain before I jump on this.

For a complete firing AR15, all I need to order is the lower from Tubby's GB, and this?

Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Light Weight Rifle Kit

Sorry for the newb question
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links