Defensive Carry banner

AR-15 remorse...

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  BAC 
#1 ·
so i bought my first ar-15 last year, for a "fun to shoot", S.H.T.F. and varmint rifle. after mounting a scope to the handle i was shocked with the way it looked and felt with the scope way the hell up there, and noticed I made the mistake of getting the fixed upper carry handle, i now know i want flat top upper with a bull barrel and free float handgaurd. so what would be the best choice / most cost effective; sell my upper and buy the setup i want? or sell the whole ar-15 and start over?

#4 ·
If you decide to sell it, PM me.

#7 ·
It may be easier to sell the whole rifle. You might loose a bit in the long run if you part it out. My .02¢

#10 ·
Depending on how much you feel you can do a stripped upper may be the way to go. A stripped upper would require you install the barrel and barrel extension (special tools required). However, perhaps you can find much more info or a possible trade on this site. AR15.COM

#12 ·
Or, like the AR15.com folks will suggest, keep it and build/buy another~! :danceban:

If you decide to go with a stripped upper, make sure someone in the know checks the head spacing after the barrel is reinstalled. But consider, would you enjoy the basic, non scoped version? (I do). Might want to go with a complete new upper, that way you can switch between the two easily, and even maybe later get a new lower so you've got two complete rifles. Just food for thought.

#13 ·
I would buy an upper. Oh wait! I did! I started off with a Bushy carbine purchased the day they voted on the AWB. Later a buddy of mine dragged into CMP matches. I ended up buying a new upper and fixed stock to compete with. Last year I bought a Double Star lower and a bolt carrier group and I now have two complete ARs.
Next I am thinking of building an M-4gery in 6.8 and maybe one in 9mm.

Seriously, they are like Pringles chips. One is never enough!!!

#15 ·
You've got a few ways to accomplish what you want.

You can purchase complete uppers with NM type barrels and rail systems.

You can purchase a stripped upper reciever and decide what feed ramps, what barrel and what type of handguards or rails you want. You can use the standard Front sight block, or a low profile and mount a front flip up sight or use one of the fancy flip up sights that are integrated into the gas block, etc.

It all depends on what you want this new upper to do for you.

If you just want a flat top so that your optics are not up on that silly carry handle, then just look around at LMT, BCG, Arma, DPMS, Bushy, Olympic, or just go for the gusto and look at Noveske uppers.

Take your time and do some research on what type of upper you want. But, it sound like you just want a flat top to mount your optics so any decent manufacturer name can sell you a flat top upper and you can rail it out and add in lights, lasers, foregrips, etc.

#16 ·
Get both. Honest, if you can afford it get one for scope, and keep one iron - there are going to be times that you want a lighter weight rifle. Aperture sights are a lot more accurate than you probably think. You might like it in it's natural state.

ymmv, but I know I just built my second ar for that reason - first was too heavy with that huge scope and bull barrel to carry aground - but it is a hell of a lot of fun on the bench.

#17 ·
CDNNinvestments has a milspec A3 upper with detachable carry handle for 129.99 all you gotta do is put your barrel and other stuff on it,it will require a barrel wrench and either upper vise blocks or barrel vise blocks for disassembly assembly

#18 · (Edited)
*update*

Well, I fixed my little problem, S&W MP15, Tactical Entry stock, 16” bull barrel, flattop upper, I added a Bushnell scope that adjusts from 3x to 12X, surefire and a “super tacti-cool” quick release forward grip just for kicks, it’s growing on me, it’s rather a comfy and natural feel. This should make for a good all around AR-15 for me, varmint, home defense and SHTF. I think I might go with a smaller tactical red dot optics later, this scope is a little big.

Attachments

#19 ·
Nice rifle!

I still have 5 more days until I can pick up my S&W M&P15 carbine, I cannot wait! I specifically wanted one with a removable carry handle, and the M&P15 just stood out at my FFL dealer.

#20 ·
How's the weight of the bull barrel feel on the front end? I don't remember ACE stocks being very heavy, so balance would concern me a little. If you don't care for humping it around with the weight more towards the front end, you could save up for a Magpul UBR or a whole new barrel.

-B

#22 ·
Then by all means enjoy it! Some folks (read: me) aren't real fond of bull barrels, but if it works for you it works for you.

-B

#24 ·
1k!

Ah. Here is a brief visual description of the different AR15 barrel profiles. "Bull" barrels (the thickest of the bunch) are the cheapest to make because they require less machining, which is why they're so commonly found on 16" and 20" barrels. They tend to be heavier and swing the center of gravity further out towards the muzzle than the lighter and more common gov't profile barrels.

-B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.