AR-15 remorse...

AR-15 remorse...

This is a discussion on AR-15 remorse... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so i bought my first ar-15 last year, for a "fun to shoot", S.H.T.F. and varmint rifle. after mounting a scope to the handle i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 remorse...

AR-15 remorse...

so i bought my first ar-15 last year, for a "fun to shoot", S.H.T.F. and varmint rifle. after mounting a scope to the handle i was shocked with the way it looked and felt with the scope way the hell up there, and noticed I made the mistake of getting the fixed upper carry handle, i now know i want flat top upper with a bull barrel and free float handgaurd. so what would be the best choice / most cost effective; sell my upper and buy the setup i want? or sell the whole ar-15 and start over?

If it's a factory rifle, I would sell it as is.

I would contact Grant and have him build you exactly what you want.

If your happy with the lower then I would probably buy just the upper. that part does not need an FFL transfer and can come direct to you. Saving some money overall.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    If you decide to sell it, PM me.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

all new bushmaster,

Sell the upper and get the one you like. You could even trade it towards some credit for the upper that you really want.

It may be easier to sell the whole rifle. You might loose a bit in the long run if you part it out. My .02

Get a stripped flattop upper and keep the old one as a spare, or sell/trade it.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

-JT
    how hard is it to replace the stripped upper? i can field strip all my guns with ease and am pretty good with my hands, any special tools involved?

Lead Moderator
    Depending on how much you feel you can do a stripped upper may be the way to go. A stripped upper would require you install the barrel and barrel extension (special tools required). However, perhaps you can find much more info or a possible trade on this site. AR15.COM
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Many vendors will sell a complete upper, or at least a barrel attached to an upper. With the barrel mated to the upper, you can finish the assembly with a hammer and punch.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Or, like the AR15.com folks will suggest, keep it and build/buy another~!

If you decide to go with a stripped upper, make sure someone in the know checks the head spacing after the barrel is reinstalled. But consider, would you enjoy the basic, non scoped version? (I do). Might want to go with a complete new upper, that way you can switch between the two easily, and even maybe later get a new lower so you've got two complete rifles. Just food for thought.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I would buy an upper. Oh wait! I did! I started off with a Bushy carbine purchased the day they voted on the AWB. Later a buddy of mine dragged into CMP matches. I ended up buying a new upper and fixed stock to compete with. Last year I bought a Double Star lower and a bolt carrier group and I now have two complete ARs.
    Next I am thinking of building an M-4gery in 6.8 and maybe one in 9mm.

Seriously, they are like Pringles chips. One is never enough!!!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

-JT

Thats what I was thinking. Just put the stuff on the current upper on a new flat top upper. That would have to be the cheapest route I would think.

Or Sale/ keep that upper and buy a new complete upper. Then later down the road you could pin the current one on a new lower and have 2 AR's., one with optics one with a permatached carry handle?

You've got a few ways to accomplish what you want.

You can purchase complete uppers with NM type barrels and rail systems.

You can purchase a stripped upper reciever and decide what feed ramps, what barrel and what type of handguards or rails you want. You can use the standard Front sight block, or a low profile and mount a front flip up sight or use one of the fancy flip up sights that are integrated into the gas block, etc.

It all depends on what you want this new upper to do for you.

If you just want a flat top so that your optics are not up on that silly carry handle, then just look around at LMT, BCG, Arma, DPMS, Bushy, Olympic, or just go for the gusto and look at Noveske uppers.

Take your time and do some research on what type of upper you want. But, it sound like you just want a flat top to mount your optics so any decent manufacturer name can sell you a flat top upper and you can rail it out and add in lights, lasers, foregrips, etc.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links