Looking for a new gun... help

This is a discussion on Looking for a new gun... help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I live in Alaska and up here, guns are pretty much life. If you aren't familiar with this great state, you need to ...

Thread: Looking for a new gun... help

Looking for a new gun... help

Ok, so I live in Alaska and up here, guns are pretty much life.

If you aren't familiar with this great state, you need to know that in the next month, every man, woman and child will be receiving from the state over $3K from Oil revenue and Palin's energy relief package.

With my share of this money, I'd like to look into getting a 'black rifle', though I'm not sure I can afford an AK or an AR.

Really, I am looking for something which may cost between $500 and $800 which fires low cost ammo, such as 9mm.

This is solely a fun gun and won't be used for hunting purposes.

Any info on where I can start researching such a gun would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You can afford an AK for that amount and the ammo is not expensive. The higher end AK's such as Krebs and Rifle Dynamics are over $ 1,000 and have a long wait. I picked up a Vector side folder for $600 and although I do not have one, an AK from Arizona Response System goes for $600 - see Arizona Response Systems
    As far as 7.62 X39 ammo for the AK you can get 1,000 rounds delivered for $199 ( Wolf Military Classic ) from AmmoMan. These are great, reliable rifles that are fun to shoot, easy to maintain and you can depend on them to protect you and your family.

Thanks for the heads up on the AK.

Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to ship ammo to Alaska from most dealers because of the extreme cost and time to ship.

edit: ammoman does not ship to Alaska. :(

My first choice would be an AK but if ammo is an issue and it's just going to be a toy, you might look at one of the Kel-tec 9mm carbines. IIRC, you can choose which type of pistol magazines you want to use to feed it (Glock, Beretta, etc.). A couple of the 33 round Glock mags would make for a fun little rifle (and it would be a fairly effective HD weapon).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    $3,269 to be exact!

I'll be purchasing my first AR rifle with part of the money.

IMO you cannot go wrong with an AK-47. I have fired thousands of rounds through my Romanian clone, and it's still going strong!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    $3,269 to be exact!

I'll be purchasing my first AR rifle with part of the money.

IMO you cannot go wrong with an AK-47. I have fired thousands of rounds through my Romanian clone, and it's still going strong!
    Can you get low cost ammo in town?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Last time I bought a case of 7.62x39, AK Shooter Supply on Boniface had it going for $250 per case. It could be a little more now, I don't know. You may also want to try Ammo Can on Dimond Blvd.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links