Class Three Carry

Class Three Carry

This is a discussion on Class Three Carry within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hope that I am addressing the proper forum for a couple of questions. I own a 12 guage shorty...bbl is 12", stock is 8". ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Class Three Carry

I hope that I am addressing the proper forum for a couple of questions.

I own a 12 guage shorty...bbl is 12", stock is 8". I DO have the proper paperwork for same and a concealed carry permit.

Questions:

1. Do I need additional forms/permission to carry this weapon under my coat?

2. Do I need permission to take this out of state? (Someone told me that I needed to apply to BATF)

Thanks, in advance, for any advice given!

I don't think a concealed handgun license allows you to carry a concealed shotgun,in Tx it is for handguns only as far as traveling I know that for a full auto to be transported out of state of ownership you need to get permission from ATF and your destination must allow the possession of full autos
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why would you want to carry a shotgun under your coat? Your line of employment involve banks?

Could you expand on your reasons for shottie carry?

A concealed pistol is so much easier to present and conceal...OMO

Stay armed...whatever your choice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Would you rather poke neat little holes with a .45 or punch a .7 hole with over an ounce of payload? For up close and personal, not much will beat a shotgun.

The state law would mention if the permit covers all weapons or just handguns. In MI, I could carry an AOW as it is under 30 inches in OAL and according to state law is a handgun.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

You need to see your state laws to see if allows you to carry all sorts of weapons (asps, large knives, etc.). i know in NC you can ONLY have a handgun for CCW. I doubt that you can have a shotgun for CCW.

On a side not you do have a proper ATF license/form for that shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Would you rather poke neat little holes with a .45 or punch a .7 hole with over an ounce of payload? For up close and personal, not much will beat a shotgun.

The state law would mention if the permit covers all weapons or just handguns. In MI, I could carry an AOW as it is under 30 inches in OAL and according to state law is a handgun.
    Tough to carry (if legal) in FL heat...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

An AOW which is the class of weapon you have.If your permit only covers concealed handguns then that weapon would not be covered and you would probably be arrested for unlawful concealing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    On a side not you do have a proper ATF license/form for that shotgun?
    He said he has the tax stamp for it. That is the proper paperwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    An AOW which is the class of weapon you have.If your permit only covers concealed handguns then that weapon would not be covered and you would probably be arrested for unlawful concealing
    Some states define a handgun by OAL, such as MI. Like I said, in MI it is legal to carry an AOW as long as the OAL is under 30 inches, because every firearm, except machine guns, that is 30 inches or less is defined as a pistol and subject to all pistol laws including the CPL.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand."
    That comes from the Va. Code that deals with handguns. It appears that your shortbarrelled shotgun would be OK.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Have'nt see anything that forbids it. Click the link and check it yourself.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Reminds me of that western with Dean Martin where his sidekick couldn't hit nothing with a pistol so they got him a double barrel sawed off shotgun and had a custom holster made

Don't think Arnold will allow that rig in CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

JD
    Administrator
    HotGuns quoted the law, but it sounds like the OP has a SBS not an AOW.

Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.
    I don't think that will meet the criteria of the law as he has an altered firearm which was originally a long gun and still should in good practice require both hands to fire. I could see shooting a "Bear Claw" one handed, but that's about it and I wouldn't want to do it if I actually NEEDED to hit may target.

Regarding can you carry it? I'm not a lawyer, but I'd just as well tell you to leave it home.

Regarding transport across state lines, I found the following:
    Travel and Use:
    Do not take NFA firearms out of state without first checking with BATFE. For machine guns, short barrel rifles, and short barrel shotguns, you will need prior approval from BATFE on a Form 5320.20 to travel interstate or to permanently move NFA firearms to another state. This protects you from accidentally going some place where they are banned. If the state you are traveling to allows possession of the type of NFA firearm you own, and you have received prior approval on a Form 5320.20 (if applicable), then you can transport the firearm through any state just like any other firearm. That means it must be unloaded and readily inaccessible (in a locked case or trunk of the car). While in a travel status you are afforded the same protection as any other gun owner under the GOPA 86 law. You cannot be legally arrested for simply passing through a state, county, or township where the guns are banned unless you violate the procedures just described or stop in that state for an extended period of rest. Necessary stops for food, gas, repairs, etc., are allowed. Stopping to site-see, visit friends, or even spend the night, might be construed as an unnecessary delay and place you at risk. Check your state and local laws for other restrictions that may apply regarding hunting, concealed carry, or self-defense with an NFA firearm.
    And from the BATF FAQ Section:

B10) May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods? [Back]

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.

Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]
    And

(M21) Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate? [Back]

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

retsupt99....Just in case my coat falls over it. A duster type of thing.

Tubby45....I'll take a bigger hole anyday!!!

Hotguns....THANKS! That's the information I was hoping for!

Dukalmighty....The movie was Eldorado with John Wayne and James Caan also.
    Caan played "Mississippi" and carried that sawed off. I had wanted one ever since I saw it for the first time. Had a guy make me a hat just like his, also. NOT that I can't shoot a pistol!LOL

Now, what I really want to know is do I need permission to take it out of the state and how do I get same if needed?

THANKS, everybody, for your input!

Sorry... I can't make the pictures come up. I'm not a computer whiz.

JD...you answered my question before I asked it! Gun was NOT altered...twas made that way!

By the by, if ya use those pesky little 1 inch shells, it is perfectly manageable with one hand!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links