Best AR Flash Hider?

This is a discussion on Best AR Flash Hider? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What in everyones opinion is the most effective flash hider for the AR platform. A2 Birdcage, Phantom, Vortex, ect....

Thread: Best AR Flash Hider?

Best AR Flash Hider?

What in everyones opinion is the most effective flash hider for the AR platform. A2 Birdcage, Phantom, Vortex, ect.
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

The original in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The original in my opinion.

RR, the A2 is marginal, at best, and there is empirical data on the issue. Vortex, then Phantom, in that order. Vortex has the most flash reduction, but at almost 2.5x the price of the Phantom, may not be worth it to a civillian shooter. Equally, be aware that FHs have an absolutely phenominal bloom on thermal.

From the shooter's perspective in most situations, however, they are a big help in low-light.

BAC
    AAC Blackout and the Smith Interprises Vortex, followed by a longer flash suppressor whose name I can't remember and the Phantom.

-B

Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons.

I hadn't heard they were available.

Do you plan on doing alot of low light and no light shooting ?

What do you want the AR to do for you ? If your looking solely on reducing flash then as mentioned the Vortex flash hider has outperformed most any other flash hider available.

But all muzzle type devices are subject to the laws of physics. If you want a flash hider then don't expect it to reduce recoil and to suppress your flash. Same goes for a muzzle break. You can reduce your recoil and muzzle lift but you won't suppress your flash. Which is more important to you in your current situation ?

Since I shoot with a suppressor I use the Surefire adapter which is built to accept the suppressor and suppress the flash. It is hands down the best flash suppressor I've ever used when it's not sporting the sound suppressor. With the sound and flash suppressor you won't get any signature from my weapon at night, even with thermals or NODs.

If you want to compete in rapid fire type competitions then I'd be more interested in a compensated weapon than a flash suppressed weapon.

You can't really have both.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons.

I hadn't heard they were available.
    It's cool; if one of the guys who helped design it hadn't told me it was already available when I asked, I wouldn't have known either. That "longer flash hider" I mentioned earlier is a B.E. Meyers (model "249" or somesuch), by the way. I think they're only for sale through the manufacturer, but I never looked into them due to their size. Whatever flash suppression it's capable of, it's not better than a Blackout or Vortex. The Surefire I've never heard anything on because the only ones I've seen were coupled with sound suppressors.

Skygod, have you heard of the PWS FSC556? It's a funky looking compensator that supposedly has flash suppression equal to that of the USGI birdcage, but is still a decent compensator to boot. I haven't a single round of experience with them or any of the other aftermarket flash hiders, though; just wondering if you've heard of it at all.

-B

dont mean to hi-jack the threah but is there a flash hider that would work on a smooth non threaded barrel, without gunsmithing?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    It's cool; if one of the guys who helped design it hadn't told me it was already available when I asked, I wouldn't have known either. That "longer flash hider" I mentioned earlier is a B.E. Meyers (model "249" or somesuch), by the way. I think they're only for sale through the manufacturer, but I never looked into them due to their size. Whatever flash suppression it's capable of, it's not better than a Blackout or Vortex. The Surefire I've never heard anything on because the only ones I've seen were coupled with sound suppressors.

Skygod, have you heard of the PWS FSC556? It's a funky looking compensator that supposedly has flash suppression equal to that of the USGI birdcage, but is still a decent compensator to boot. I haven't a single round of experience with them or any of the other aftermarket flash hiders, though; just wondering if you've heard of it at all.

-B
    BAC,

They are pretty popular right now, but I dont have any personal experience with this particular blend of comp and flash suppression.

There are some threads over at AR15 and M4carbine.net. I've seen one video that shows a comparison between the A2, Phanton and FSC and it appears to suppresss the flash into a smaller signatue with some compensation to rapid fire, at least mores so than the others.

As I said before, I don't believe you can achieve both comp and suppression at the same time witout giving up a little on one or both functions, but the video was impressive.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I would just go and put a can on the rifle if you really needed to hide the muzzle flash as it will also lower the perceived recoil. If you are not doing a lot of shooting in low light conditions I would throw on a muzzle break. That will help lower the recoil quite a but as long as you can deal with twice the noise

OD*
    Vortex.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

The Phantom does a pretty good job

Links