A good shotgun with many options.

This is a discussion on A good shotgun with many options. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to buy a new 12 gauge shotgun (3.5 chamber) for home SD, hunting, skeet, and trap. Only thing I don't need is a ...

Thread: A good shotgun with many options.

A good shotgun with many options.

I'm looking to buy a new 12 gauge shotgun (3.5 chamber) for home SD, hunting, skeet, and trap. Only thing I don't need is a shotgun for deer hunting. I'm hopeful to get one with a cylinder, improved, modified, and full choke. I think I would like a skeet and turkey choke as well.

Is there such a shotgun or do you need to buy several?

Any thoughts on what to avoid, what would be the best quality, and what would be the best value?

Thank you for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Remmington 870 (pump) or 11-87(auto)

I have the older rem. 1100 with a handfull of extra barrles for diffrent applications. Either of those two scatterguns would do you justice. Just figure what you'd do most with the gun and what's priority and you can find the perfect configuration for your needs. There's so many of each of those guns it won't be too hard.

That's what I'm recommending.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Remmington 870 (pump) or 11-87(auto)

I have the older rem. 1100 with a handfull of extra barrles for diffrent applications. Either of those two scatterguns would do you justice. Just figure what you'd do most with the gun and what's priority and you can find the perfect configuration for your needs. There's so many of each of those guns it won't be too hard.

That's what I'm recommending.

+1. Plenty of options, but you won't go wrong with either of these. If you're really inclined to shoot skeet, the auto is the better choice.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    An 870 is a classic do it all shotgun. Buy a Wingmaster with a 26 or 28 inch barrel, then pick up an after market 18" and you will have a shotgun that will do it all and you will have it the rest of your life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like my 1100 as well, a short barrel for home defense. Then the 28" for trap and skeet that accepts different chokes.

Administrator
    The 1100 is a fantastic shotgun, but it just isnt as versatle as a 870.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I have two 'tactical' shotguns, one and Ithaca Model 37, eat your heart out SIXTO hee, hee, and an 870 built by Scattergun Technologies right before they were bought out by Wilson Combat.

The 870 is hard to beat, but a couple others I was impressed with by fellow students in my Gunsite Tactical Shotgun class was the Mossberg 500 and the Benelli, I think it was the Benelli M4??? It has a pistol grip and I believe it's semi-auto, but it's been so long now I'm not sure. But it was a Benelli just not sure of the model.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have two 'tactical' shotguns, one and Ithaca Model 37, eat your heart out SIXTO hee, hee, and an 870 built by Scattergun Technologies right before they were bought out by Wilson Combat.
    I dont have too, I have a Wingmaster built by scattergun tech that rides in my cruiser.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links