New S&WMP15 fail to feed/short stroking

This is a discussion on New S&WMP15 fail to feed/short stroking within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is frustrating, especially since I decided to shell out a few extra hundred bucks to get the “better” S&W over the DPMS or Olympia. ...

This is frustrating, especially since I decided to shell out a few extra hundred bucks to get the “better” S&W over the DPMS or Olympia. I used new federal premium 50 grain jacket hollow point that has worked in my other AR’s fine, I tried three different brands of quality mags, field stripped, cleaned and lubed, no go, and I have to manually cycle the action every round. I just bought it last week and I am taking it back to my dealer to have his gunsmith look at it, I’m sure the shop or S&W will make it right, but sometimes it feels better to rant about it................................

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    This is frustrating, especially since I decided to shell out a few extra hundred bucks to get the “better” S&W over the DPMS or Olympia. I used new federal premium 50 grain jacket hollow point that has worked in my other AR’s fine, I tried three different brands of quality mags, field stripped, cleaned and lubed, no go, and I have to manually cycle the action every round. I just bought it last week and I am taking it back to my dealer to have his gunsmith look at it, I’m sure the shop or S&W will make it right, but sometimes it feels better to rant about it................................
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune with your M&P15. I would try a different type of ammo and see if that works, if not, take it to a gunsmith. Good luck to ya, and hopefully you can get it working right.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It sounds like a timing problem, since you did you have lubricated the weapon properly.

It could be anything as easy as lightening up your buffer or replacing your mag followers and springs. I'm just wondering if your gas port is to small or your gas tube is obstructed in any way ?

I'm just guessing, but guessing from experience.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Check that you have an M4 barrel extension with an M4 upper receiver.

To check short stroking, load one round into the mag and fire it. Did the bolt lock back?

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Lead Moderator
    That sucks , hopefully you can get it fixed quickly.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    It sounds like a timing problem, since you did you have lubricated the weapon properly.
    It could be anything as easy as lightening up your buffer or replacing your mag followers and springs. I'm just wondering if your gas port is to small or your gas tube is obstructed in any way ?
    I'm just guessing, but guessing from experience.
    Yup , short stroking almost always means not enough gas.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

*update* i had ruled out the ammo, but it was the ammo, the shop took the rifle to the back wherer they had a test fire chamber, turns out the federal ammo i had was so weak it would not cycle th action, we tried some american eagle tactical xm193 it worked fine. what sucks is i have 1000 rounds of this federal .223 that the S&W dosent like

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    *update* i had ruled out the ammo, but it was the ammo, the shop took the rifle to the back wherer they had a test fire chamber, turns out the federal ammo i had was so weak it would not cycle th action, we tried some american eagle tactical xm193 it worked fine. what sucks is i have 1000 rounds of this federal .223 that the S&W dosent like
    Underloaded ammo is a rare occurence , and Federal is known
    for making good ammo.

I suggest you call Federal and send them a few rounds of your
    ammo to test.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ammo

We had an issue with Federal American Eagle ammo a few months ago. Dented cases that wouldn't chamber, a few rounds from a few different boxes in a case. Federal replaced everything at no cost. Absolutely send those rounds in. They'll make it right and you might getr a recall that could help a bunch of other shooters.

I emailed federal, one problem is i repacked most of it into 100rd waterproof plastic cases to seal/preserve it, and i dont have the receipt...

I also have this issue from time to time with the Federal 50gr hollowpoint ammo cycling through my M&P15. It's not usually every round, but sometimes as many as 5 rounds in a box of 20 that won't fully cycle the action. I just have to manually pull the bolt to fully chamber the next round and then I can continue firing. I've never had this problem with any other type of .223 ammo.

Links