Kel-tec RFB vs AK-47

Kel-tec RFB vs AK-47

This is a discussion on Kel-tec RFB vs AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am hoping to add an "assault rifle" to my arsenal, not to be cool, nor as a range toy, but in case the SHTF ...

Thread: Kel-tec RFB vs AK-47

Kel-tec RFB vs AK-47

I am hoping to add an "assault rifle" to my arsenal, not to be cool, nor as a range toy, but in case the SHTF in this country. I like the idea of lots of fire power with the .308. Funds are limited and while I am intrigued with the Kel-tec RFB in .308, the anticipated $1700-$1800 price range puts it out of my reach. Since I want it for crisis, not for the range, purchase price is important, ammo cost, not so much.

I was wondering your opinions on some of the .308 AK-47's out there that are one third to one half the projected price of the RFB?

(examples):
    Saiga AK 47 .308 Rifle
    AK47 RAK .308 Russian Rifle

Any experience with one? Pro's & con's?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Mo
    Saigas are good, and you can convert them back to military configuration fairly easily.

I would consider a standard Saiga or other AK in 7.62x39mm if you're looking for a true SHTF gun. 308 is pretty powerful for that kind of work. You said ammo cost isn't a big deal, but you can stockpile 2000 rounds of 7.62x39mm for less than $400, and for $100 you can have 10 mags for it if you look around. Add $350 for the Saiga and $100 for compliance parts and you've invested less than $1000 in a gun you can put in your closet, cabin or truck and forget about until you need it (or the required parctice/training every once in a while, of course). You can even load the mags with ammo and store it in them. I load 25-27 rounds to keep from maxing out the springs, but good steel surplus mags will store like that for years without serious spring fatigue.

The Saiga in 308 comes with low-capacity mags. High-cap (25-round) mags run about $50 each! The 7.62x39mm is much more controlable than the 308 in an AK-type weapon as well - more rounds on target is a good thing.

Either way you're going to be better off than with the kel-tec. Not only is it not available, it's also not going to last as long as an AK, and if you break it, good luck finding replacement parts or someone who knows how to fix it if things really go south.

Thanks Mo, sounds like good advice.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

ditto what MO said...go with an AK.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Mo hit a homerun with his post, stick with a standard AK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links