SA Scout Squad or Socom?

SA Scout Squad or Socom?

This is a discussion on SA Scout Squad or Socom? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering either a Socom 2 or the Scout Squad rifle, price isn't much of an issue, probably won't use it for anything over 100 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SA Scout Squad or Socom?

I'm considering either a Socom 2 or the Scout Squad rifle, price isn't much of an issue, probably won't use it for anything over 100 yds (longest range in the area) Mostly a tacticle, SHTF, urban war, target rifle. Any suggestions?? Pros and cons? I could also use a recommondation for optics and a bi-pod.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ill stick to my FAL stg 58 which i am in the process of having the barrell shortened to about 17" ( just to where the standard stg flash supressor will abut the bipod cut on the barrell. i do like the m1a/m14 platform but like the ergonomics of the fal better and hit as well with it as i do any battle rifle .

Lead Moderator
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6

read up on some opinions and info here.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    not to rag on SA but i hear they are outa milspec parts and relyability has suffered , i am not in a position to purchace a new rifle and report tho , talk to some folks ya trust , shoot examples if ya can and decide from there , after all we are talkin a fair chunk of change for most of us LOL

Lead Moderator
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=190433

Here is what I was looking for in particular. Try reading this and make a informed decision.

I'm up for the SOCOM 16 as my next rifle. But I already have a sniper tuned M1A SuperMatch (tuned by ROBAR with their finishes) and so they will use the same mags...which is a plus in my book. I know that it it going to be incredibly L-O-U-D! But that can be managed.

I plan to mount a Bushnell Holosight, as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    How about an M14K? Hubba-hubba

[/url]

I liked this version.

Would have attached, but for some reason my ability to "manage attachments" isn't working right now.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by P95Carry; December 19th, 2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Changed tags Jon to see if image will display
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Lightbulb Not a Springfield Armory M1A

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    I liked this version.

Would have attached, but for some reason my ability to "manage attachments" isn't working right now.

Best,
    Jon
    The weapon shown isn't a Springer. It's a BM59 Italian version of the M14 with a Reese Gunworks folding stock attached. I tried to see if Reese also makes a folding stock to fit my Garand and they don't have one.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    The weapon shown isn't a Springer. It's a BM59 Italian version of the M14 with a Reese Gunworks folding stock attached.
    http://www.crazyhorserifles.com/m14k%20article.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Cool

I stand corrected. It sure looks like the BM59, tho. However, as I did correctly remark...it's not a Springfield Armory. The short article I read at the link stated that there seem to be problems in the gas system of this M14 variant. They were trying to adapt the gas system of the M60LMG. I personally loved the M60's but some of them jammed a lot. Could have been the gas system.

back to original questions, between socom and scout, since you indicate your max range is going to be 100 yards, the socom would be just fine. i am told (havent confirmed this) by a friend who has the socom that at distances out to 300 yards and beyond, that short barrel just drops the bullet faster than kirstie alley can drop a gallon of nonfat icecream.

personally, i have seen several socoms have failures due to poor quality control. both on the range and in the shop. we have also seen several people bring us their socoms to consign, talking like 4 in the past month.

until SA gets their QC back in order i'll hold off getting a new socom. and thats the one i'd pick, partly because i think the socom would make an adequate bear defense rifle as well. for the rare times i venture away from the city and into the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I tried to see if Reese also makes a folding stock to fit my Garand and they don't have one.
    Yep. I tried exactly the same thing about 6 years ago - same result. Seems to me (my aging memory nothwithstanding) that someone DID have one on the market just before that, but I hit the search a hair too late.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    back to original questions, between socom and scout, since you indicate your max range is going to be 100 yards, the socom would be just fine. i am told (havent confirmed this) by a friend who has the socom that at distances out to 300 yards and beyond, that short barrel just drops the bullet faster than kirstie alley can drop a gallon of nonfat icecream.

personally, i have seen several socoms have failures due to poor quality control. both on the range and in the shop. we have also seen several people bring us their socoms to consign, talking like 4 in the past month.

until SA gets their QC back in order i'll hold off getting a new socom. and thats the one i'd pick, partly because i think the socom would make an adequate bear defense rifle as well. for the rare times i venture away from the city and into the wild.
    Unfair shot at Kirstie Alley! I myself lost over 40 pounds on Jenny Craig.

Okay. DAGNABBIT, I was counting on the SOCOM because of the interchangeability of mags with my superb M1A. My next choice would be a DSA FAL carbine. What's the word on those?

The DSA might be a good option for me as well since they have "California" models. This sure is the wrong state for someone who likes guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links