Help me pick an AR-15 PLEASE

This is a discussion on Help me pick an AR-15 PLEASE within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There sure are MANY changes and options since I bought a COLT AR back in the 70's. Sold it when the ban came out for ...

Thread: Help me pick an AR-15 PLEASE

Help me pick an AR-15 PLEASE

There sure are MANY changes and options since I bought a COLT AR back in the 70's. Sold it when the ban came out for LOTS of $$.
    Now I'm, looking to get one, just in case things go bad and the ban comes back. I've been looking around at AR15.com, Model1 trying to get educated and decide what I want. I'll be using this for HD in dire circumstances and maybe for a bit of Tac 3 gun, but no serious competition or long range stuff. I'd like a carbine, 5.56, plan on using a red dot scope. SO what is the best platform, A2 with carry handle & scope mount, A3 with removable handle, or flat top and flip up front & rear sights ? Please give me the benefit of your experience here to help me decide.

THANKS.

Well THANKS to all for their input. After reading, reviewing, handling, comparing and generally going a bit crazy trying to decide WHICH one to get or put together, I made the plunge and bought a CMMG, M4, 5.56 flat top with flip up rear sight. Here it is below. It should be here, It will be here soon, I hope.

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/11...x601139921.jpg
    Last edited by sass20485; September 19th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A flat top gives you more options and keeps the dot sight lower (easier to use) than a carry handle mount. you could go with a flip up front sight, but it really isn't necessary.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Read this it. It should be very helpfull. Os skip it and pick up a colt 6920

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Here is my new one I just picked up.

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

First ar I bought was a Bushmaster dissapator in Oct of 2001 because that all I could find and I did not know any better. Then I bought a pencil barrel flat top upper in Bushmaster as well. I stll did not know any better. Then I bought an Armalite lower for the BM LW upper. Then have run well to date and I have staked the carrier keys and upgraded the extractors etc. BUT>>>

Knowing everything I kow now, I would just buy a Colt and be done with it.

I just picked up an LMT rifle.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

BAC
    I recommend the "search" feature.

A lot has changed in the AR world in the last couple decades. More than a search feature here, I suggest some time reading M4Carbine.net or other more specialized sites. "Best platform" is going to be determined by your specific need; shooting from a bench for accuracy is going to produce different needs than running the rifle through carbine courses. Likewise, home-defense is going to produce different needs than plinking rifle.

Determine need what you plan on using the rifle for, first, then what your budget limit is.

-B

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Colt, LMT or Noveske. I have opted for the Noveske.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

THANKS, I found one.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    THANKS, I found one.
    Congratulations !!!

You chose the right setup for general needs and fast paced carbine course and if zombies start walking down the street in the middle of the night looking to eat your brains.

Although I'm not a fan of CMMG, there's is nothing wrong with them inherently. You've got the flat top, the military profile barrel, 1/9 twist rate, retractable stock and a flip up back up iron sight. It looks like an A.R.M.S 40 or 40L

You can do alot with this rifle in the way of "tricks and treats"

1. Rail system. Everyone makes them, but for ease of installation and use I would go the Daniel Defense "Omega" rails system. 7" carbine length.

2. Stock. I'd put an LMT SOPMOD or Vltor EMOD stock on it. Better cheek weld and generally more comforatable than the standard M4 stock.

3. Foregrips and lights. Lot's of them out there. Surefire is the best in my opinion. and foregrips are like anything else. Some are great and some decent and some are outright poor. Tango Down, CQC Dieter, LaRue UFG, Knights etc.

4. Look around at grips. I've found that most real users will find a non-factory grip such as the Mag Pul MIAD grip or Ergo type grips. Easy installation and will make your shooting experience more comfortable with the right grip.

Good purchase.

Oh, and buy lot's of USGI mags and PMAGS. You can find the USGI mags with the Mag Pul followers online for decent prices. Store up as much ammunition in .223 and 5.56 NATO that you can afford.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I have a POF-USA and love it.

Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

I just got a Smith & Wesson M&P15 optics ready(no buis)

Links