Shotgun slugs - Page 2

Shotgun slugs

This is a discussion on Shotgun slugs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Loks like I have 1240 slugs in inventory, but they are for hunting, not self-defense. For that I use 00 buckshot. If I need rifle ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun slugs

bae
    Loks like I have 1240 slugs in inventory, but they are for hunting, not self-defense. For that I use 00 buckshot.

If I need rifle performance for self-defense, I grab a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I meant single shot for single shot, I'd be better off using the 45 pistol and a mag full of eight rather than a 12ga single shot slug and a possible miss. If you've got an auto-loader for HD, then it might not be an issue-----slug after slug after slug. Some of us demand a pump action for reasons not fully portrayed here, and over penetration may be a concern in the remote chance of a miss.
    I'm a bit unclear why you seem to be implying a pump action shotgun is a significant handicap vs. a low capacity handgun or auto action shotgun.

I'll admit that the handgun might be slightly faster in terms of re-acquisition, but it is far from a single shot and I don't feel it provides any less accuracy at HD ranges.

In fact, you could argue the inverse is true since carbine length firearms tend to be eminately 'pointable' and arguably provides an advantage in that respect over a handgun.

Granted, the energy and knock-down capability of the`12ga slug would be unparalleled, but the whole thing relies solely on a significant hit to a vital area or striking a large bone.
    This argument goes equally for the .45. But I suspect a COM shot with a 12ga slug is more likely to bring quick resolution to the situation than a .45 shot to COM, or even a couple of COM shots with a .45.

The other side of this is that regardless of where you hit someone, I suspect the 12ga slug will be much more debilitating. Hit someone in the shoulder with the .45 -- maybe they use the arm, maybe they don't. With a 12 ga. slug? As long as it isn't glancing, it is going to significantly contribute to the resolution IMO.

Comparing buckshot and multiple hits in the general area, or a single shot in the general vicinity still dictates to me that a 45 auto would be easier to take second shots with, and pistol vs long gun would be faster no matter what the magazine capacity of either.
    I understand your followup shot point and agree to a point, but I'd mostly suggest the recoil and weight of the shotgun are the factors and I'd say I disagree this would be the case with any 'long gun'.

Personally I'd take a .223 carbine any day of the week over any handgun for example. I'd disagree that it would provide any followup disadvantage.

I'd also mention that the capacity issue has a huge caveat, which is the reloadability of your handgun relies on you having the reload with you.

In the middle of the night scenario where you grab your handgun and flashlight off the dresser, I question whether most people will manage to retain a reload(s).

I'm not saying slugs for HD is a poor choice, just that we should look at the overall capabilities.
    Agreed. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages, and we all have our preferences, budgets and specific situations which contribute to our choices.

Case in point, while I disagree with some of your points, my primary defense weapon is a lowly 9mm sub compact and for me, the ability to have it with me all the time trumps all other considerations.

Of course if I knew trouble was coming, a handgun would be relegated to backup duty.

I haven't tested it yet, but have a lot of it. Clear shells where you can actually see all the pellets inside, and reasonable priced. Can't beat that with a stick! I've been using S&B ammo in some of my bolt action rifles for years. That has been reliable for me.
    Not familiar with this specific ammunition, but Box O' Truth suggests buck w/o a buffer flattens the pellets and leads to looser groups. Personally I don't think this matters much at home defense ranges, and in fact, might be an advantage.

-john

EAJ
    100 – Remington 00 Buck
    20 – Federal 4 Buck
    75 – Remington Slugs
    100 – Remington 7.5 Shot

I usually try and keep about 100 slugs on hand. If using a shotgun against a human target, I'd prefer buckshot loads. But, in a true SHTF scenario, there is little in North America that, given a reasonable range, the 12ga. magnum slugs won't bring down.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a good supply of 12ga slugs and 00 buck. My HD shotgun is a Remingtom 1100SP with a Red Dot 1x scope. I keep my rifled slug barrel attached at all times and the gun is loaded with 00, slug, 00, slug and then 00 again. I use Remington Copper Solid Sabot slugs. Like already mentioned, there's not much on this planet that can survive a hole from a 12ga slug. That is of course, they get by the 00 buck.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have a few slugs on hand for hunting purposes and about 10 cases of ranger reduced recoil slugs which I use to shoot 3-gun matches. As far as a SD load I would not hesitate to throw the rangers in my shotty as they are very accurate and with the reduced recoil you can follow up VERY quickly. In my 1100, double taping targets at 50 yards is quite easy with a fiber optic bead site. I do use a handgun in the home primarily but I would deinitely use these slugs over buckshot. Since you have to actually aim buckshot as well, it would not be dificult to get a few center mass hits with the slugs along with the added stoping power. Even head shots within 20 yards would not be a problem. Just my $.02

Word of warning: general concensus on multiple SG forums is that European (S&B, Wolf, etc..) shells are more prone to deformation,if kept in the mag of a "ready" shotty. Ie., one grabs one's SG, and it won't cycle because the walls of one or more of the hulls have swollen and molded to the walls of the tube.

US ammo does not have this rep, though some have reported that outsourcing may change the materials being used. We'll see...

I have 185 rounds of 00 buck and 80 rounds of slugs. Both are Hornady LE low recoil.

shots 7 and 8 in the M4 are slugs.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Word of warning: general concensus on multiple SG forums is that European (S&B, Wolf, etc..) shells are more prone to deformation,if kept in the mag of a "ready" shotty. Ie., one grabs one's SG, and it won't cycle because the walls of one or more of the hulls have swollen and molded to the walls of the tube.

US ammo does not have this rep, though some have reported that outsourcing may change the materials being used. We'll see...

Are these plastic shells?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links