Shotgun slugs

This is a discussion on Shotgun slugs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In your stash of ammunition you keep for defensive purposes, do you have a supply of shotgun slugs? If so, how many?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun slugs

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Shotgun slugs

In your stash of ammunition you keep for defensive purposes, do you have a supply of shotgun slugs? If so, how many?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    less than a box. My shotgun is not typically a defensive gun for me though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a reworked 12ga Stoeger coachgun (work cost me more than the gun)...I keep only boxes of '00 buck'...for defensive purposes, I want complete coverage.

Stay armed...make it a 'hole-E' war...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been stocking up for my impending HD shotgun purchase. I've given some thought to slugs for the 12ga, but for now, just mainly 00 buck in the 2 3/4 and 3". Personally, I think of slugs as mainly for hunting purposes, and I don't plan to hunt game with my future shotty. Some say slugs are good for the SD scenario. I won't rule it out completely, but I just feel differently about things is all. 1 shot=1 slug, or 1 shot=9-15 pellets. If I were to think about slugs, I might do just as well to be using my 45. Just my opinion of course.

Stockpile

After I tested the Federal "Tru Ball" low recoil slugs, I ordered 100 rounds of them for stockpile purposes. They aren't the first choice for my defensive shotgun, but they make the gun more versatile by giving much increased range over buckshot. At the gunshop, we have a 12ga Mossberg behind the counter by my workbench. 5 Federal "Flite Control" low recoil 00 buck in it (#PFC 154 low recoil), 5 slugs on the gun (PB 127LRS). For home or defense use, the shotgun probably isn't my first choice, but if I did need one why not take advantage of the versatility of the smoothbore?

M2
    I have about ten slug shots stored away, but not really for HD reasons. Like others, I keep a supply of 00-buckshot for that. The slugs are just for fun...

But comparing a 12-gauge slug to a .45 is apples and oranges. The slug is about double the size, and would have a heck of a lot more impact on the target.

Here's a visual for comparison...

Cheers! M2

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I keep both 00 Buck and slugs stored. I haven't been able as yet to get more than 100 rounds of each, and I've been concentrating on stocking up on handgun and .223 rounds. I'll be adding more. My eventual goal is 5000 rounds for each caliber.

Senior Moderator
    A three years ago I bought a case of S&B 00 Buck and a case of Slugs

A case is 250 rounds, I shot all of the 00 within a year, but I have 50+ rounds of slugs left. (I have another case of 00)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

S+B

The S&B and even Wolf make decent ammo for the price. Great way to stock up ammo in a cost-effective way. Good quality for the price and available at places like CTD, etc. May not be as fancy or high tech as the Federal, but you can sure pack a lot of it away for cheap.

Is S&B decent?? Or run away from it?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've been buying the S&B 00 buck actually. Price is good comparatively.
    But comparing a 12-gauge slug to a .45 is apples and oranges. The slug is about double the size, and would have a heck of a lot more impact on the target.
    Never attempted the comparison actually. I meant single shot for single shot, I'd be better off using the 45 pistol and a mag full of eight rather than a 12ga single shot slug and a possible miss. If you've got an auto-loader for HD, then it might not be an issue-----slug after slug after slug. Some of us demand a pump action for reasons not fully portrayed here, and over penetration may be a concern in the remote chance of a miss. Granted, the energy and knock-down capability of the`12ga slug would be unparalleled, but the whole thing relies solely on a significant hit to a vital area or striking a large bone. Comparing buckshot and multiple hits in the general area, or a single shot in the general vicinity still dictates to me that a 45 auto would be easier to take second shots with, and pistol vs long gun would be faster no matter what the magazine capacity of either. I'm not saying slugs for HD is a poor choice, just that we should look at the overall capabilities.

Is S&B decent?? Or run away from it?
    I haven't tested it yet, but have a lot of it. Clear shells where you can actually see all the pellets inside, and reasonable priced. Can't beat that with a stick! I've been using S&B ammo in some of my bolt action rifles for years. That has been reliable for me.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; September 20th, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

I my stash I have not only 00 and 000, but also slug and various bird shot in both 12 and 20. The shotgun is honestly an all around defense and offense weapon and tool to almost complete any gun guys safe.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I keep about 100 rounds of mostly buckshot and some slugs.

I got lucky a couple of weeks back and picked up some clugs cheap. Wally World had em on clearance for $4 a box. I guess they stocked up last hunting season, not realizing that you can't hunt deer with slugs in KS. They are probably still wondering why they didn't sell many.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The Box O' Truth has some interesting comparisons of shotgun loads:

Shotgun meets the Box O' Truth
    Precision shooting with buckshot

Personally, I prefer slugs over buckshot for my shotgun. I'd rather have better accuracy at longer ranges. At shorter ranges, the small patterns are going to make accuracy similar from what I can tell.

And, I suspect the slug is more effective.

My 16" 870 smooth bore seems quite accurate with slugs at 25 and 50 yards, even with the simple bead sight.

Oh, and when everyone jumps in and talks about over-penatration, consider the following Box O' Truth:

The original Box O' Truth

Where all the major caliber handgun ammo penetrated all 12 sheets of drywall, similar in performance to the 12 ga. slugs.

Bottom line, consider what is beyond your target.

YMMV.

-john

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    In your stash of ammunition you keep for defensive purposes, do you have a supply of shotgun slugs? If so, how many?
    Yeah, I have some, but not a lot. Maybe four or five boxes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links