00 Buck penetration - Page 2

00 Buck penetration

This is a discussion on 00 Buck penetration within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The longest shot inside my home is 29 feet. There is no one living here except me and the wife. I have 1/2 dozen Mossberg ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 00 Buck penetration

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    The longest shot inside my home is 29 feet. There is no one living here except me and the wife. I have 1/2 dozen Mossberg 500's and Winchester 870's, all bought from farm estate sales over the years. Each one of them has been modified to a 18.5 inch barrel and are hidden, scattered, over the house so I can get to one immediately if not sooner. I decided one day after reading one of the many threads about home defense with a shotgun, I would take all of them to the range that I run on the weekends. All guns were loaded with 00 buck.

I stepped off 30 feet, put up our shotgun patterning targets, and let loose. Everyone of them has about a 6 inch pattern at 30 feet. The balls of shot ripped holes thru 1/2 inch plywood like it was paper. Each shotgun holds 7 rounds, the first 4 out the tubes will be 00 buck, and the last 3 are slugs. There is a wall at the end of the hallway, you go left or right to get into the living room. If needed, I'm sure the buck probably will, and the slugs will definately go thru the wall into the living room should some idiot try to get in my home.

Birdshot, I don't know if it will do the damage I am looking for, but I can only imagine a load of #6's to the face or any body part for that matter, should take the fight out of all but the most methed up fool that invites themselves into my house without my permission.
    Just my thoughts. Yours may differ.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Thumbs up

I have a buddy that has a 20 gauge set up primarily for deer hunting here in Indiana. He wanted me to load some for him as I work for a FFL VI. We went with the Lyman 350 Grain sabot slug and are getting 2" groups at 25 yards. On the way back from the range he asked me if I could make him some 00 buck rounds for his 20 gauge for home protection as the only thing he could find was #3 buck in said caliber. I heard somebody say, 'SURE!!!' but I was the only other one in the car.

Wellll, to make a long story even longer I did indeed manage to cram 9 '00' buck into a 20 gauge 2 3/4" hull with room for enough powder to move the charge about 1,090 fps (or so the computer thinks). This speed would be just slightly below all the, 'tactical/reduced recoil,' 12 gauge rounds you see the police using.

Just for grins I have also made a 20 gauge sampling of 12 #1Buck with a rated velocity of 1,275 fps AND a reduced recoil/subsonic slug for his 20 gauge as well. I plan on going back to the range on Wendesday next.

I expect we'll have at least some sort of partial success and from there the boss will likely start sellin on the website.

d

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links