Dmps a-15

This is a discussion on Dmps a-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up a used DMPS AR-15. It's actually a model A-15. I field stripped it and noticed that there was no "O" or ...

Thread: Dmps a-15

Dmps a-15

I just picked up a used DMPS AR-15. It's actually a model A-15. I field stripped it and noticed that there was no "O" or "D" ring around the spring for the extracter. When I strip my Bushmaster M4 at work there is a "D" ring. I assume that the DMPS should have one also.

I'll be shooting it tomorrow so I'll see if there are any issues.

Can anyone enlighten me. Shouldn't the DMPS have an "O" ring as well? Or did the original owner lose it while cleaning the weapon?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

The "D" ring, or 'D-fender' is an aftermarket mod. Not factory that I know of. That, the 'perma-pin', and the 'wedge' are all aftermarket mods that are worthwhile on the typical AR rifle. Not factory on anything I know of.
    AR-15/M16 D-FENDER D-RING
    KNS PERMA PIN
    AR-15 Buffer Increases Accuracy Wedge - GUNSMITHING TOOLS by Combathunting.com

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Mine doesn't have one, and it shoots just fine. If you shoot it and it has extraction issues, it might be worth a try.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I have a DMPS A-15 in the 6xx serial range. No ring, no issues. As ramrod said, it is an aftermarket add-on.

And the sooper secret trick - it is a standard #60 VITON o-ring. Viton, as in "dont try one from your local hardware store"

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I just picked up a used DMPS AR-15. It's actually a model A-15. I field stripped it and noticed that there was no "O" or "D" ring around the spring for the extracter. When I strip my Bushmaster M4 at work there is a "D" ring. I assume that the DMPS should have one also.

I'll be shooting it tomorrow so I'll see if there are any issues.

Can anyone enlighten me. Shouldn't the DMPS have an "O" ring as well? Or did the original owner lose it while cleaning the weapon?
    Not to be picky, but it's DPMS. Not DMPS.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

never had one on any of my AR's have yet to encounter any extraction issues(just feeding due to mags older than i am)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I know. My fingers got ahead of me.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    WOW. I just realized that my fingers got ahead of me a lot on that thread.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Thanks to all for the replies. The only carbine I had stripped was my M4 at work. I guess that the armorer had put them in all the Bushmasters after they had suggested so. One of out rifles was failing to extract every few rounds.

I'll see how the DPMS works tonight. I have to sight her in.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

As others have already said, most complete rifles (AR15's) do not come standard with the an "O" ring or D-Fender ring.

I got into the habit of ordering them from Brownells just to have on hand and installed in all my extractors.

I keep a mini AR15 tool and parts kits box when I go to machine gun shoots and the range. You'd be surprised how many of those little "O" rings that I have installed into someones new Bushy or DPMS and their extraction problems dissapear once they insert a fresh mag and chamber their first round and begin firing.

Most are incredibly thankful and wind up ordering a couple more just to help out fellow shooters at their ranges.

Their a good idea and should one of the first things you do to a new AR.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I've heard they extend the life of the extractor. My M&P came from the factory with one.
    Be armed or be a victim

I just got back from the range a little while ago. She ran pretty good. I put 220 rounds of federal 55 gr ball through her. I had 3 failures to extract. Not too bad out of 220 rounds. I didn't have to adjust the sights. I brought it down to 3/8, right in the middle and she was good to go.

I'm gonna put an "O" or "D" ring in anyway. The only other mod will be a light. I spoke about that in another thread. I'm not gonna spend the money on eotechs or acogs. I was able to get a quick sight picture and fire with the iron sights. Good enough for home defense. Maybe if I come into some extra cash I'll get the Bushmaster that I really wanted and I'll put sights on that one.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Links