Defensive Carry banner

M1 Carbine 30 cal Mag Problem

13K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  aznav 
#1 ·
Bought a Plainfield M1 Carbine. Came with a half dozen mags of different counts. Ironically, the "banana clip" (sorry) is the one that works best. ALL the others are worthless. As far as mag brands: One mag has nothing. Two mags have "PMC". The last mag has "Universal Firearms Corp". None work. The 30 round simply says, "M2". Someone did recommend USGI alone. Can anyone recommend a good mag for the Plainfield? While I'm at it, anyone recommend good target ammo with link and good hollow point with link? Thanks!

#6 ·
I ordered some Magtech .30 carb JSP and it functioned fine in my M1s. It was also a lot cheaper than the Federal, Remington, or Cor Bon loads. The 30B
Product Search Results

I ended up buying more to stockpile after the first batch.
Thanks! I'll check it out. And while I'm at it, is there such a thing as tweaking my generic mags to work better? And, if so, somebody have a link for it? tx!

#7 ·
Here

I bought this:
M1 Carbine 30 Round Magazine & Pouch Set*|*e-GunParts.com
and all of them worked fine. It's what I use for my stockpile. They also list followers, springs, and such. If your problem is related to magazine failure, the rebuild kit:
M1 Carbine Magazine Re-Build Kit*|*e-GunParts.com
is more than the magazines. They do list followers if yours is damaged, but not much else. Not sure what kind of problems you're having, but maybe make sure your mag catch is in spec and you have good springs for the mag, the catch, and a good recoil spring. If you have feed problems, you can always try to bend the feed lips a bit to tweak the magazine. Best (safest) done with dummy rounds, just see if they are popping out too early or too late and adjust accordingly. Normally, I would say junk any mag that doesn't work and buy a replacement, but who knows how much they'll be worth after Obama-Ban 2009? If it's a HD gun, keep your good mags marked and save the questionable ones for the range.

Is your Plainfield the one with the collapsable stock and foregrip?

#8 ·
I bought this:
M1 Carbine 30 Round Magazine & Pouch Set*|*e-GunParts.com
and all of them worked fine. It's what I use for my stockpile. They also list followers, springs, and such. If your problem is related to magazine failure, the rebuild kit:
M1 Carbine Magazine Re-Build Kit*|*e-GunParts.com
is more than the magazines. They do list followers if yours is damaged, but not much else. Not sure what kind of problems you're having, but maybe make sure your mag catch is in spec and you have good springs for the mag, the catch, and a good recoil spring. If you have feed problems, you can always try to bend the feed lips a bit to tweak the magazine. Best (safest) done with dummy rounds, just see if they are popping out too early or too late and adjust accordingly. Normally, I would say junk any mag that doesn't work and buy a replacement, but who knows how much they'll be worth after Obama-Ban 2009? If it's a HD gun, keep your good mags marked and save the questionable ones for the range.

Is your Plainfield the one with the collapsable stock and foregrip?
This is far and away the best gun forum. Thanks!! No. Traditional.

#9 ·
Plainfield was eventually bought out by Universal which changed the design of the m1 carbine once the surplus parts dried up. After the buyout though they continued to use the Plainfield name for a time.

I have heard that because of this design change there were some issues with the USGI mags, but not some of the newer production ones. Which seems to be the opposite of the standard mantra.

If you have a genuine Plainfield though they are a good brand, mine was treated horribly but still functions flawlessly.

#10 ·
i haven't had an issue with my plainfeild. low serial number(<600) while they still had surplus parts.

#11 ·
Ammo

Ammunition to Go has the Magtech (around 50 cents a round), the Federal JSP (just under a buck a round) and Cor Bon DPX (over a buck a round) in stock. Also plenty of FMJ.
30 CARBINE : Ammunition To Go

Mine is the collapsable with the foregrip. I added a bayonet lug and adjusted the front sight so the bayonet actually mounts to the gun. I have an ASSAULT WEAPON, Mr. Obama. How about that?

#14 ·
If your reciever is stamped Plainfeild NJ then it is a original Plainfeild. If it is stamped MS or another state is is a Universal.

Most after market 30 rd mags are junk, only guy USGI ones. Your mag stamped M2 is a USGI mag.

I use mostly 15 round mags myself

the best place I have found to by mags is Fulton Armory Home Page

#19 ·
Guys, sorry for taking so long to get back. All excellent advice. I am ordering Wolff Springs today for starters. Ammo when I get more cash. I will report back when I change out springs/mags. Love my carbine but, zowie, the rounds ain't cheap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.