M1 Carbine 30 cal Mag Problem

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine 30 cal Mag Problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a Plainfield M1 Carbine. Came with a half dozen mags of different counts. Ironically, the "banana clip" (sorry) is the one that works best. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine 30 cal Mag Problem

Distinguished Member

Bought a Plainfield M1 Carbine. Came with a half dozen mags of different counts. Ironically, the "banana clip" (sorry) is the one that works best. ALL the others are worthless. As far as mag brands: One mag has nothing. Two mags have "PMC". The last mag has "Universal Firearms Corp". None work. The 30 round simply says, "M2". Someone did recommend USGI alone. Can anyone recommend a good mag for the Plainfield? While I'm at it, anyone recommend good target ammo with link and good hollow point with link? Thanks!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I only have what I presume are USGI(dunno if authentic or not) that I pick up at the Phx gunshow, as well as a case of PMC fodder and some Aguila as well. Been awhile since I shot it, but I think I had some random FTF(probably more the gun)but nothing serious.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Bought a Plainfield M1 Carbine. Came with a half dozen mags of different counts. Ironically, the "banana clip" (sorry) is the one that works best. ALL the others are worthless. As far as mag brands: One mag has nothing. Two mags have "PMC". The last mag has "Universal Firearms Corp". None work. The 30 round simply says, "M2". Someone did recommend USGI alone. Can anyone recommend a good mag for the Plainfield? While I'm at it, anyone recommend good target ammo with link and good hollow point with link? Thanks!
    Can't help with the mags but can with the ammo. Probably gonna be the cheapest,(money wise) that you are gonna find. www.odcmp.org
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    Can't help with the mags but can with the ammo. Probably gonna be the cheapest,(money wise) that you are gonna find. www.odcmp.org
    Thanks!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Magtech

I ordered some Magtech .30 carb JSP and it functioned fine in my M1s. It was also a lot cheaper than the Federal, Remington, or Cor Bon loads. The 30B
    Product Search Results

I ended up buying more to stockpile after the first batch.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I ordered some Magtech .30 carb JSP and it functioned fine in my M1s. It was also a lot cheaper than the Federal, Remington, or Cor Bon loads. The 30B
    Product Search Results

I ended up buying more to stockpile after the first batch.
    Thanks! I'll check it out. And while I'm at it, is there such a thing as tweaking my generic mags to work better? And, if so, somebody have a link for it? tx!

Here

I bought this:
    M1 Carbine 30 Round Magazine & Pouch Set*|*e-GunParts.com
    and all of them worked fine. It's what I use for my stockpile. They also list followers, springs, and such. If your problem is related to magazine failure, the rebuild kit:
    M1 Carbine Magazine Re-Build Kit*|*e-GunParts.com
    is more than the magazines. They do list followers if yours is damaged, but not much else. Not sure what kind of problems you're having, but maybe make sure your mag catch is in spec and you have good springs for the mag, the catch, and a good recoil spring. If you have feed problems, you can always try to bend the feed lips a bit to tweak the magazine. Best (safest) done with dummy rounds, just see if they are popping out too early or too late and adjust accordingly. Normally, I would say junk any mag that doesn't work and buy a replacement, but who knows how much they'll be worth after Obama-Ban 2009? If it's a HD gun, keep your good mags marked and save the questionable ones for the range.

Is your Plainfield the one with the collapsable stock and foregrip?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I bought this:
    M1 Carbine 30 Round Magazine & Pouch Set*|*e-GunParts.com
    and all of them worked fine. It's what I use for my stockpile. They also list followers, springs, and such. If your problem is related to magazine failure, the rebuild kit:
    M1 Carbine Magazine Re-Build Kit*|*e-GunParts.com
    is more than the magazines. They do list followers if yours is damaged, but not much else. Not sure what kind of problems you're having, but maybe make sure your mag catch is in spec and you have good springs for the mag, the catch, and a good recoil spring. If you have feed problems, you can always try to bend the feed lips a bit to tweak the magazine. Best (safest) done with dummy rounds, just see if they are popping out too early or too late and adjust accordingly. Normally, I would say junk any mag that doesn't work and buy a replacement, but who knows how much they'll be worth after Obama-Ban 2009? If it's a HD gun, keep your good mags marked and save the questionable ones for the range.

Is your Plainfield the one with the collapsable stock and foregrip?
    This is far and away the best gun forum. Thanks!! No. Traditional.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Plainfield was eventually bought out by Universal which changed the design of the m1 carbine once the surplus parts dried up. After the buyout though they continued to use the Plainfield name for a time.

I have heard that because of this design change there were some issues with the USGI mags, but not some of the newer production ones. Which seems to be the opposite of the standard mantra.

If you have a genuine Plainfield though they are a good brand, mine was treated horribly but still functions flawlessly.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

i haven't had an issue with my plainfeild. low serial number(<600) while they still had surplus parts.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Ammo

Ammunition to Go has the Magtech (around 50 cents a round), the Federal JSP (just under a buck a round) and Cor Bon DPX (over a buck a round) in stock. Also plenty of FMJ.
    30 CARBINE : Ammunition To Go

Mine is the collapsable with the foregrip. I added a bayonet lug and adjusted the front sight so the bayonet actually mounts to the gun. I have an ASSAULT WEAPON, Mr. Obama. How about that?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Plainfield was eventually bought out by Universal which changed the design of the m1 carbine once the surplus parts dried up. After the buyout though they continued to use the Plainfield name for a time.

I have heard that because of this design change there were some issues with the USGI mags, but not some of the newer production ones. Which seems to be the opposite of the standard mantra.

If you have a genuine Plainfield though they are a good brand, mine was treated horribly but still functions flawlessly.
    Which begs the question: How do I know if I have a "genuine Plainfield"?

I have the Plainfield with the colapsible wire stock and foregrip. Works fine with GI 15 rd mags. papa

Senior Moderator
    If your reciever is stamped Plainfeild NJ then it is a original Plainfeild. If it is stamped MS or another state is is a Universal.

Most after market 30 rd mags are junk, only guy USGI ones. Your mag stamped M2 is a USGI mag.

I use mostly 15 round mags myself

the best place I have found to by mags is Fulton Armory Home Page
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have all GI mags including one real GI 30 rounder and all work well. But I have a Quality Hardware M1 Carbine.

I got most of my FMJ ammo from Georgia Arms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links