Shotgun ammo question....

This is a discussion on Shotgun ammo question.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; the box infers that sabot rounds should be shot through a rifled barrel but says to [U]not[U] shoot them through an un-rifled choke, not necessarily ...

Thread: Shotgun ammo question....

Shotgun ammo question....

the box infers that sabot rounds should be shot through a rifled barrel but says to [U]not[U] shoot them through an un-rifled choke, not necessarily not through a smoothbore. Any comments?

2. Remove Ads

Sabots are considerably more accurate through a rifled slug barrel. With a regular, smooth-bore barrel, use a rifled slug. It's mors versatile because you can go stright to buckshot without worrying about damaging the rifled barrle with buckshot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    First, the box implies, you infer...

Second, I'm not sure I understand the question - are you asking if it is OK to shoot them through a rifled barrel with an unrifled choke? An unrifled barrel with a rifled choke? Perhaps it would help if you told us the set up you have...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

A friend had his wife buy the ammo at Wal-mart and can't take it back. You think it won't hurt the barrel? I told him it wouldn't make any difference just not as accurate. He has a smoothbore.

VIP Member
    It shouldn't hurt the barrel. The slug diameter will be significantly smaller than the actual bore diameter, so there shouldn't be any metal to metal contact. They won't be as accurate as they would be from a rifled barrel, but there shouldn't be any damage.*

* This is in NO WAY a garauntee of anything, just my moderately informed opinion.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    If your shotgun has a rifled barrel, then sabots are the best food for it. If the barrel is not rifled, then use rifled slugs. The sabots are surrounded by a piece of plastic that will drop off as soon as it the projectile leaves the barrel. I have an 870 set up for deer, rifled barrel, 3x9 scope, and I have no problem keeping them in a 6" circle at 150 yards. I know other guys that have a smooth bore shotgun and they use rifled slugs. They are close to what mine can do.

I have found that rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel are not very good, neither are sabots from an unrifled barrel. FWIW
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    sabot slugs through an unrifled barrel will not be very accurate, and i would not recommend it. will it hurt it...no
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Sabot slugs will not damage a smooth bore. They also will not be very accurate. Depending on distance, they will begin to tumble after a certain distance. If this is a HD shotgun, who cares, you'll be point blank anyway.

Dont use the Sabot's in the smooth bore for deer hunting.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have an 870 w/ a rifled barrel... What about using buckshot in a rifled barrel for HD? I know it will diminish accuracy but inside a house would it make that much difference?
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I have an 870 w/ a rifled barrel... What about using buckshot in a rifled barrel for HD? I know it will diminish accuracy but inside a house would it make that much difference?
    The pattern wont be very good, but it close quarters it shouldnt matter much. Depending on the gun, lead shot may foul the grooves, but I wouldnt worry about that to much unless you shoot a lot of shot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think you guys would be surprised about the accuracy of sabots thru a smoothbore barrel. About 25 years ago when sabots were relatively new, and the only rifled slug barrels around were from Hastings, I hunted with BRI sabots in a Remington 870 with a smoothbore slug barrel with great success. I would feel confident with them up to the 100 yard mark.
    You can never have enough magazines or ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The pattern wont be very good, but it close quarters it shouldnt matter much. Depending on the gun, lead shot may foul the grooves, but I wouldnt worry about that to much unless you shoot a lot of shot.
    What SIXTO said. He's exactly correct.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links