New LWRC M6A2

This is a discussion on New LWRC M6A2 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up my new toy on Saturday! No range time yet, but I'll be more than happy to let any interested parties know how ...

Thread: New LWRC M6A2

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar

Talking New LWRC M6A2

I picked up my new toy on Saturday! No range time yet, but I'll be more than happy to let any interested parties know how it goes! Might even get some pics of the wife showing off her AR-15 skillz

Attached Images
    Last edited by lacrosse50; October 5th, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Me not spell so gud.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sweet. When did you order it?

-john

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Nice! What caliber did you get it in?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Placed the order in mid-march. I've been sweating bullets (pun intended) that the factory would take forever to finish moving. But I got two emails last week, one about it being shipped from the factory, and the second letting me know it was ready for pickup!

It's the standard 16.1" SRT chambered in 5.56.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

very nice. hope you have a lot of fun with it
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Nice rifle...

as far as your signature goes... keep the faith brother.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

Good Luck.....BUT

Have an M6 on order..thinking about cancelling. NOTHING to do with the Rifle..itis a fantastic piece of equipment. I would probably order NO other piston-operated AR platform. Here's my LOGIC: 5.56 ammo is OFF THE CHART!!! The cheap Russian Wolf stuff is over $200 for 1000 rounds. It's just getting TOO expensive to shoot,because of shortages due to the GWOT. The 12 ga. cheap stuff from Walley World can keep me proficient and I can always spend on the GOOD stuff with the $$ I save. GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!! I guess I'll go with the "poor man's(ammo)assault weapon"
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Old grunt,

You can run 223 through a rifle chambered in 5.56. My understanding (some one please confirm or set me straight!) is that there is no difference in size between the two rounds. What IS different is the gunpowder (type/amount) inside them, and specifically the pressure produced when fired.

So, if I've got this all straight, a rifle in 5.56 will eat both 223 and 5.56 safely. A rifle in 223 will take 5.56, but you run the chance of having something go wrong. Potentially horribly wrong.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

firing a .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56

From Winchester Law Enforcement

News and Press Releases

.223 Rem VS 5.56mm

Paul Nowak
    5/4/2001
    .223 Rem VS 5.56mm

There are a lot of questions about these two cartridges. Many people think they are identical - merely different designations for commercial and military. The truth is that, although somewhat similar, they are not the same and you should know the differences before buying either cartridge.

The cartridge casings for both calibers have basically the same length and exterior dimensions.
    The 5.56 round, loaded to Military Specification, typically has higher velocity and chamber pressure than the .223 Rem.
    The 5.56 cartridge case may have thicker walls, and a thicker head, for extra strength. This better contains the higher chamber pressure. However, a thicker case reduces powder capacity, which is of concern to the reloader.
    The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.
    You can fire .223 Rem cartridges in 5.56mm chambers with this longer leade, but you will generally have a slight loss in accuracy and velocity over firing the .223 round in the chamber with the shorter leade it was designed for.
    Problems may occur when firing the higher-pressure 5.56mm cartridge in a .223 chamber with its much shorter leade. It is generally known that shortening the leade can dramatically increase chamber pressure. In some cases, this higher pressure could result in primer pocket gas leaks, blown cartridge case heads and gun functioning issues.
    The 5.56mm military cartridge fired in a .223 Rem chamber is considered by SAAMI (Small Arm and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) to be an unsafe ammunition combination.

Before buying either of these two types of ammunition, always check your gun to find what caliber it is chambered for, then buy the appropriate ammunition. Most 5.56mm rounds made have full metal jacket bullets. Performance bullets - soft points, hollow points, Ballistic Silvertips, etc. - are loaded in .223 Rem cartridges. Firing a .223 Rem cartridge in a 5.56mm-chambered gun is safe and merely gives you slightly reduced velocity and accuracy. However we do not recommend, nor does SAAMI recommend, firing a 5.56mm cartridge in a gun chambered for the .223 Rem as the shorter leade can cause pressure-related problems.

Winchester Law Enforcement Ammunition

East Alton Illinois

Links