Possible issue with My Mossberg 500 Persuader

This is a discussion on Possible issue with My Mossberg 500 Persuader within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, as some of you have noted lately, I have a new Mossberg 500 Persuader and a lot of questions. I have shot it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible issue with My Mossberg 500 Persuader

Possible issue with My Mossberg 500 Persuader

Hi All, as some of you have noted lately, I have a new Mossberg 500 Persuader and a lot of questions.
    I have shot it just a couple of time and tonight I went out and shot it a bit. I was having an issue with it cycling correctly. I would take a shot and then try to pump it and the forearm would not move back. It seemed to be locked up. I would jiggle it a bit and then even hit the release button by the trigger and eventually it would work. I was shooting both 2 3/4" and 3" shells.
    Do I have a problem or is this a break in issue or should I contact Big 5 (where I purchased it) or Mossberg. I sure do not want this to happen if I need it!!

Thanks for any input, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

2. Remove Ads

Did you get an instruction manual, if so reread it there may be information that will help you.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Most pump actions are very tight when new and if I'm not mistaken the 500 only has a single action bar, which doesn't help. If you still have problems after 200 rounds, I would have a smith look at it, but I have a feeling it will smooth out by then.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Most pump actions are very tight when new and if I'm not mistaken the 500 only has a single action bar, which doesn't help. If you still have problems after 200 rounds, I would have a smith look at it, but I have a feeling it will smooth out by then.
    500's have double action bars. Could just be a break in issue, I'd give it a little time, did you check to see if the slide release (probably not the right term for the button), was in the up position while tryin to rack it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Did you get an instruction manual, if so reread it there may be information that will help you.
    Thanks raevan, as far as I can see, the manual says nothing about this.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    500's have double action bars. Could just be a break in issue, I'd give it a little time, did you check to see if the slide release (probably not the right term for the button), was in the up position while tryin to rack it?
    I think(?) that for some reason, the slide release was in the down position.

I did try something this morning. I emptied the chamber and pulled the trigger. The slide release did stay up and I was able to move the action just fine and cycle another round into place.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Detail strip it and look for burrs. I would suspect you have a mill shaving in there...

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    The locking bar will hold the bolt until the hammer is released, google youtube for a disassembly video, it's quite easy. Take out the trigger group and check for freedom of action, dirt etc. Mine started to fail when the locking bar would fail to engage, not allowing me to pull the trigger.

Here's what I am thinking. Have you ever had a pump action shotgun before? I think you're short stroking it when you're shooting. Your support hand should be pushing forward on the forearm when you fire actually.....not pulling back in anticipation of ejection/chambering another round. Also, you should be pulling the forearm all the way back in order to chamber the next round once you have fired. You should also be letting off the trigger after you've fired a shot, and not holding it back while you operate the slide. Practice will lead to coordination.
    I did try something this morning. I emptied the chamber and pulled the trigger. The slide release did stay up and I was able to move the action just fine and cycle another round into place.
    From an article: "Proper training with the shotgun is crucial. The most common cause of malfunctions with a pump-action shotgun comes from improperly working the action after firing, commonly referred to as "short-stroking." Short-stroking occurs when the shooter does not work the action all the way. It can often result in an empty chamber or a Type 2 malfunction. It takes training to work the action fully to the rear and then fully forward. This skill can be covered and practiced in dry-fire mode and used throughout live-fire training."
    Another interesting article from your friendly forum...mentions short stroking jams as well: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...i-vs-pump.html

Thanks Ram Rod for your input. I may be wrong and I will be careful to confirm this, but I do not believe that I am short-stroking it at all. This is my first shotgun, but not the first time that I have shot them. But I will also say that I am far from an expert with them! I shot pretty much an identical one a couple of weeks back and did not have any issues like this. I don't think that I am doing anything different now. In my mind, it either has to be the gun or the ammo. I will be the first to let you know if I find out differently though.
    I have not had a chance to get different ammo yet and go out the back door and shoot, but it concerns me a bit that the slide release was in the down position, "after" I had just shot. This certainly would prevent one from cycling the action.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Well, I've had experience with the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and Ithaca 37 in the past. It's possible to short-jam them all, but the Ithaca is the least likely to do this. You may not realize it, and it may not be your issue at all, I just figured I'd mention it. All of my previous shotguns were used, and the possibility of a break-in period might still be valid. Good luck with it though, and might call customer support or tech assistance at Mossberg.

Administrator
    Have you taken it apart? I have a 500 that I put back together incorrectly (I don't remember exactly what I did wrong) and it did the exact same thing.

I'd tear it down, clean, inspect and put back together; and I'll bet that will solve your issue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO, I Have not taken it apart at all since I have had it. It was new from Big 5.

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I would suggest fry firing and working the action several times,if no problems then go to range load and fire the weapon,if the weapon seems to lockup there could be something that recoil is causing to happen,I've never had a breakin period with a pump shotgun.If problem persists notify mossberg
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Everything works fine in dry firing. I have polished the chamber a bit and am going to try some different ammo hopefully tonight. If problem still is present, I will contact Mossberg.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links