New to shotguns and wondering... - Page 2

New to shotguns and wondering...

This is a discussion on New to shotguns and wondering... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You'll pay way more for a tacticool shotgun. If you want an 870 get a normal one for about 100 bucks less than with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to shotguns and wondering...

VIP Member
    You'll pay way more for a tacticool shotgun. If you want an 870 get a normal one for about 100 bucks less than with the tacticool stuff. Then get an 18.5 in aftermarket barrel and it will be all you need.

Shotguns are tough. They don't need to look tough to make the bad guys go splat. Looking tough just costs way more cash.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Mike,
    I got pretty much the same shotgun with a normal stock for around 325 or so, stocks are easy to replace, and it could be cheaper to but another stock seperately. But I'd stick with a fixed stock myself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    You'll thank us later for the advice but stick with a regular stock, unless you need the folder for storage issues, they are just goofy.

You can find great deals on the 870 Express HD guns. My local shop has them on the rack for 305.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You'll thank us later for the advice but stick with a regular stock, unless you need the folder for storage issues, they are just goofy.

You can find great deals on the 870 Express HD guns. My local shop has them on the rack for 305.

listen to him; he gave me the same advice, and he was right.

I prefer the 500, mostly because I'm a lefty, but is is very versatile and easily changed into hunting or tactical configurations. If you are under 21, you may buy the full stock version at the local gun shop but not the pistol grip only ones, including the JIC. You are better off with a full stock anyway. Spare 500 parts are everywhere and cheap, enjoy your shopping.

This what you need for HD. It's a Mossberg 590 12 gauge--holds 8 rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber, I've added a 6rd holder to the side, a 5rd holder to the foldable stock, and a big bandoleer. Note also the forward grip--adds greater stability and you pull the grip toward you to load another shell in the chamber. There is absolutely no kick and it's really easy to handle with both grips. The US Army is greatly familiar with the Mossberg 590 as a reliable tool. Don't stay at home without it! :)
    Attached Images

Senior Moderator
    I will chime in just to say Listen to most of the advice that you are getting

Get a regular stock, stick with an 870 or 500, buy 2 barrels or ideally get a HD Sport combo.

Shotguns with a 18.5-20 inch barrel are already tactical. Most anything else you add will just be gimicks and gimicks don't work real well outside of the range.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I will chime in just to say Listen to most of the advice that you are getting

Get a regular stock, stick with an 870 or 500, buy 2 barrels or ideally get a HD Sport combo.

Shotguns with a 18.5-20 inch barrel are already tactical. Most anything else you add will just be gimicks and gimicks don't work real well outside of the range.
    I hope you're not advising against my additions. They work very well if you want to grab your shotgun and move quickly to a position with plenty of ammo handy.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    I hope you're not advising against my additions.
    I am... but I'm not really interested in a debate about it. If it floats your boat, that's A-OK with me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Excellent. If I bug-out I will do it quickly. I will grab my M4 and my bug-out pack that has this 590, my M6 Scout, and a well-thoughtout supply of essentials for extended survival.

Senior Moderator
    MP45CDE,

I am not ridiculing your additions to your shotgun it is your shotgun and if that set up works for you then go for it.

But for someone new to shotguns they need to stick to the basics.

I personally find a vertical foregrip on shotgun difficult to use, but that is me. I am recommending that some new to anytype of gun platform start with the basics.

I do have a Butt stock shell pouch and a shell holder sling on my home defense shotgun, but other than ghost ring sights I have not modified it at all.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    for someone new to shotguns they need to stick to the basics.

I personally find a vertical foregrip on shotgun difficult to use, but that is me. I am recommending that some new to anytype of gun platform start with the basics.
    I have to agree with that..... EITHER standard model 500 or 870 will work for what the OP is wanting....best advice is to buy a combo outfit with field barrel and short HD barrel. Its cheaper to buy that way than a additional barrel later on. If more capacity is wanted later a +2 is less than $40 and simple to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    I have to agree with that..... EITHER standard model 500 or 870 will work for what the OP is wanting....best advice is to buy a combo outfit with field barrel and short HD barrel. Its cheaper to buy that way than a additional barrel later on. If more capacity is wanted later a +2 is less than $40 and simple to install.
    Yep, the Mossberg barrel is like $150 bucks if you buy it alone. If you get the combo it's way cheaper. I picked up a combo on Gubroker for $175. So basically I bought a barrel and payed $25 for the gun and other barrel.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

from experience I like my Ithica 37 featherlight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links