New to shotguns and wondering...

This is a discussion on New to shotguns and wondering... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so i went to the range with my girlfriend recently and tried out a shotgun for the first time and i now have a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to shotguns and wondering...

Question New to shotguns and wondering...

so i went to the range with my girlfriend recently and tried out a shotgun for the first time and i now have a new respect for them. so now im thinking of getting one.

for the most part it would be home defense and occasionally shooting some clay at the range. i have heard a lot about the mossberg 500, and am going to go to the gunshop as soon as im over my cold to take a look/feel.

the website is a tad confusing to me, what size slugs can i runthrough the 500 ? it gives the holding cap. for 2.75" rounds, is that the only size it can take ? i would like one that can shoot just about everything, just in case. can you switch the barrels in the 500 ? the one on their site says it come with a 28" barrel, but can i swap that out for a shorter one ?

another thing is the legality, I'm 19 years old, and know i cant buy a pistol. I'm assuming a shot gun would have similar rules and regs. as a rifle, but haven't seen any specific laws on them. can i buy 1 ? i know i have a clear history, other than a speeding ticket and a driving without a license ticket (40 in a 25, thought it was a 35. stupid idea driving without a license, but thats in the past) would either of those stop me from getting a shotgun (doubt it but i thought I'd ask, since I'm here and all)

i was also wondering about barrels. i was reading something about smooth vs. rifled barrels. like i said before, i would like to be able to shoot as much as possible, so which would be better ?

anything else i should look for ? im doing a lot of reading and taking notse, so any advise is greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot
    Mike
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

The mossberg 500JIC and special purpose have a chamberof 3 inches this means you can use a cartrige up to 3 inches, if the chamber size says 2.75 then that is th max size shell you can use. As to your traffic violations you will have to check with your laws. There should be a web sight for your state that has all the regulations.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think you would be far better off with a Remington 870. The number of accessories, including barrels, is almost limitless. The Express model will fire 3" shells. You can fire any weight slug made for the gauge of your gun and I would strongly recommend a 12 gauge. Barrel swaps on the 870 are easy, you can use a 18" barrel for home defense and a longer barrel for clay. You can go from a 5 shot magazine to a 7 or 8 shot quite easily, whereas on the Mossberg you are limited to the factory configuration. Lastly the 870 has an all steel receiver where the Mossbergs is aluminum.
    The only advantage I see in the Mossberg is the cheaper price.
    Regarding rifled barrels, these are used for firing slugs. You can fire slugs through a smooth barrel if the slug itself is rifled. I wouldn't get a rifled barrel unless you plan on shooting a lot of non rifled slugs.
    However, if you're really determined on getting a Mossberg, you might consider a 590. It is a police version of the 500, comes with a high capacity magazine and even takes a bayonet.
    As far as your age and traffic history, under federal law you only need to be 18 to buy long guns (rifles and shotguns). The form you fill out doesn't even ask about traffic violations, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Ok, every 500 I have ever seen will take up to 3 inch shells, which unless you plan on going like turkey hunting you should be fine with, then you need something which takes 3 1/2's (but they are more expensive and not needed for a self defense shotty in my opinion). But 2.75" 00buck should do just fine for you anyways.

Barrels are interchangeable, if you want the option of shooting the most shells possible, and since it will be a hd gun, go for the smoothbore, should be a fixed choke, and should shoot shot or slugs just fine. You can also buy longer lengths.

I bought a shotgun in Ohio the day I turned 18, don't think it should be an issue for you in PA, but someone from there would know better.

For HD, go with a normal buttstock, i'd stay away from pistol grips, get the shortest barrel and highest capacity tube you can, for urban fighting weapon length matters. Just a simple shotgun, no more than 20" tube, and if you can get over 5 shells, that is good.

I own both a 500 and 870 in HD configurations, the 870 is a little smoother, but both fill the role very well, and the 500 costs less. Both are durable, I prefer the control locations on a 500 though. But check both of em out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you have any plans to load or use buckshot loads, DO NOT buy a shotgun with a rifled barrel. A smoothbore will shoot Brenneke type rifled slugs and buckshot interchangeably. Just stay away from the Sabot type slugs. A rifled barrel is for slugs only. They will shoot buckshot but the pattern is all over the countryside.

If you're set on the Mossberg, you may want to look at the 590 Persuader model. 20" barrel, ghost ring sights and 9 shot capacity. The 500 Persuader with a 20" barrel and bead sight holds 8 rounds. If you can live with 6 rounds, the 500 Persuader can be had with a 18.5" barrel.

As near as I can tell, all of the Mossberg Persuader shotguns have a 3" chamber. For HD, a 2 3/4" is more than sufficient.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

this is the mossberg i own; it's the tactical "breacher" model:

it's got an 18" barrel, and has a 5+1 capacity, using 2 3/4" shells. my advice is, if you get one of these, switch out the pistol grip for a shoulder stock, or an AR type adjustable stock. you can't aim well with a pistol grip, and even at close range, you need to aim to hit your target.

since the shottie you want is for HD, i don't think it matters much what kind of load you use, except for slugs, which i'd advise against, because of over penetration. anything from game/target loads, to #00 buckshot would be better for HD and clay shooting; slugs are for taking down big game.

rifled bores aren't necessary for a HD shottie. a smooth bore will shoot anything except for specific slugs, like the sabot-type mentioned earlier. and i called mossberg and asked about using tungsten or steel shot in my gun; they said either would be safe to use.

good luck, and be aware that shotgunning can be highly addictive.

i wasnt so much set on a Mossberg, just had hear a lot about them in reference to beginners, that why i was looking their way... if anyone has other recommendations, i would happily accept them :)
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    for the most part it would be home defense and occasionally shooting some clay at the range.
    You should separate the two. Clay shooting and HD SG's is something that should remain separate. Let me explain. For too long years I have been using my 870 for bird and deer and HD (in off season), there is too much going on there. Two barrels, lack of extension tube, tactycool stuff, plug in, plug out, blah blah blah. One of these days I'll get that Super X3, and convert 870 to HD only.

If you don't hunt, then buy a HD shotgun. Where's SIXTO?

another thing is the legality, I'm 19 years old, and know i cant buy a pistol.
    18 for shotgun, state background only, DL and proof of residence.

i was also wondering about barrels. i was reading something about smooth vs. rifled barrels. like i said before, i would like to be able to shoot as much as possible, so which would be better ?
    Smooth barrel means buck shot and slugs (look at rifled slugs, though e.g. federal tru-ball), like buckeye said.

Remington or Mossberg will get you in the proverbial door to HD, but look at all makers and see where your price point stops. Bennelli, maybe?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think your best bet would be to go to a well stocked gun shop and compare several different models side by side. Have a well versed salesperson explain all the features. You might even see a semi-auto like the Remington 1100 or 1187
    that you like better than a pump.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I second the notion of keeping the HD gun strictly for HD and the clays gun strictly for clays. Make the HD gun an 18 incher and load it with something like #1 shot a la Masaad Ayoob. Your pattern at ten feet will be about 4 inches wide so forget that stuff about not having to aim a shotgun. Mine sports a combo tac lite/pulsating laser and its STRICTLY for serious social situations. The 12 gage shotgun is at the top end of the tissue destruction scale so you gotta make ABSOLUTELY sure of your target. On the other hand, when TSHTF you'll have nothing better to defend yourself and your loved ones.

Skip the pump, semi-auto is much better (faster). Can you pump that 500 or 870 with one hand effectively ? (I think not)...

It's just my opinion

i wasn't too worried about separating the two (clays and HD) because it would mainly be a HD gun, the only reason for the clays is to practice with the gun a little bit. keep the dust off it so to speak.

the other thing is the cost, i need something cheap. i don't want a $50 walmart shotgun that will break in a week, but i also cant afford $800 for one that cleans itself . I'm "in between" jobs rite now so cheap is good. i would probably be waiting till i get a paycheck or two from my next job. but i would like to look around now so when the time comes that I'm going to get it, the research is out of the way.

thanks for all the help so far :D cant wait to finally get one and be able to show off with all the nice gun on here lol
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by G96X0 View Post
    Skip the pump, semi-auto is much better (faster). Can you pump that 500 or 870 with one hand effectively ? (I think not)...

It's just my opinion
    Can you shoot a shotgun just as effectively with on hand? I think not. How about reload? An experienced operator can cycle a quality pump gun almost as fast, as the average shooter with a semi when you factor in everything in a real world environment.

Sorry, but that was a post seemingly based in gun shop commando folklore, I had to call it.

With all that said, I do prefer an auto for a few reasons in a few different types of rolls... but speed isn't one of them. For the normal HD role, a good solid pump is king.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    This is what you are looking for. Home defense barrel and another barrel for shooting clays.

The mossberg model 500 field security combo. The price at the bottom is msrp. If you shop around you will find it cheaper.

field/security
    combo model # 54169 12 gauge

pistol grip kit
    28" vr barrel
    18 1/2" twin bead barrel
    $372.00

Edit link added.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46907
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

so i looked around a little more and am pretty sure i want one of these.
    model 870 express 7-shot (the one with the folding stock, not the just pistol grip)
    or
    model 870 folding stock 7-shot Extension

the 2nd one has a choke on it (not sure if its removable) and costs $50 more... thats the only difference i can see. but those are the ones i like.

any thoughts on those ?

now for that fun part called saving money
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links