Remington 1100 Tactical

This is a discussion on Remington 1100 Tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have ANY experince with the Remington 1100 Tactical shotgun?? Any advice will be welcome.Also interested in accessories such as "ghost ring" after-market sights and ...

Thread: Remington 1100 Tactical

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

Remington 1100 Tactical

Anyone have ANY experince with the Remington 1100 Tactical shotgun?? Any advice will be welcome.Also interested in accessories such as "ghost ring" after-market sights and a tactical sling set-up.
    THANKS GUYS!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Anyone have ANY experince with the Remington 1100 Tactical shotgun?? Any advice will be welcome.Also interested in accessories such as "ghost ring" after-market sights and a tactical sling set-up.
    THANKS GUYS!!

I have one that I use for 3-gun competition which I LOVE! I added a longer mag tube (holds 10) and Doctor red dot site to it for matches but other than that left it alone. Depending on what you are using it for it is a great gun. I have found that mine does like to run very wet when used a lot. To keep from any malfunctions in a long (30+) round course of fire I lube the crap out of it with beleive it or not 10w30 oil. Never had a serious function problem and it even makes decent 70 yard head shots with slugs. It is no spagetti gun but for the money it can not be beat.

As far as accessories I would check out GG&G or Impact Guns. They should have a decent selection for the 1100.

Administrator
    Although I love the 1100 for a bird gun or even a match gun, I dont like it for a defensive gun. Main reason being is that it has a hard time with the transition between high and low brass, it can be a fickle gun at times.

If you want a auto "tactical" type of shotgun, I'd look at a 1187, Benelli, or the even the new Mossberg.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Although I love the 1100 for a bird gun or even a match gun, I dont like it for a defensive gun. Main reason being is that it has a hard time with the transition between high and low brass, it can be a fickle gun at times.

If you want a auto "tactical" type of shotgun, I'd look at a 1187, Benelli, or the even the new Mossberg.
    Be still my heart sir! Did you, Mr. Remington in the flesh, just mention Mossberg in a post? I think I must be reading this wrong.
    Last edited by atctimmy; October 8th, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Be still my heart sir! Did you Mr. Remington in the flesh just mention Mossberg in a post? I think I must be reading this wrong.
    I just call 'em as I see 'em.

I'm not anti Mossberg at all. I've had a few Mossbergs in my collection, one of which is still one of my favorite bird guns. I keep it around because its cheap and it works well. Its a great brush pushing in the late season gun.
    The major contention I have is that the notion of a Mossberg 500 is equal to the Remington 870, and it just isn't.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Fair enough. You know I'm just kidding anyhow. Don't tell anybody, but for the most part, I'm a Remington fan myself.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    THanks guys!! I realize it's only a 2 3/4"type gun so you don't have the ability to run the 3" Mags etc., but I did NOT hear about the high brass/low brass thing. Something to think about. I'm basically looking for a "poor man's assault weapon" in the sense that 5.56 ammo is off the charts and I want something I can feed from the WalMart shelves when it comes to practice. I think the Federal offerings for defensive purposes in 2 3/4" variety will fit the bill. To have a $1,500 AR with $500 optic and NOT afford to shoot it alot makes less sense to me now. PLEASE FOLLOW-UP if you have more to add! THANKSAGAIN !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You might check Wilson Combat to see what features/ modifications they use on their custom built tactical shotguns. I myself use a Remington 1187 Police for home defense. It functions flawlessly, however I'm not sure if it's still in production. It comes standard with a hi-cap magazine, matte finish and rifle sights.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    THanks guys!! I realize it's only a 2 3/4"type gun so you don't have the ability to run the 3" Mags etc., but I did NOT hear about the high brass/low brass thing. Something to think about. I'm basically looking for a "poor man's assault weapon" in the sense that 5.56 ammo is off the charts and I want something I can feed from the WalMart shelves when it comes to practice. I think the Federal offerings for defensive purposes in 2 3/4" variety will fit the bill. To have a $1,500 AR with $500 optic and NOT afford to shoot it alot makes less sense to me now. PLEASE FOLLOW-UP if you have more to add! THANKSAGAIN !
    There is nothing wrong with shooting low or high brass in an 1100. I have pumped about 1,000 rounds through mine and it functions well with high or low brass as long as it is BRASS! The only issues I have ever had is with ammo that uses cheap metal which expands too much in the chamber and causes a FTF. If you stick with cheap but still "decent" shells you will be GTG.

+1 on the above post. I've had my 1100 for 29 years and shot quite a bit of skeet with it without any problems. Hi brass or low brass it does not matter. I'd trust my life to it. That being said, I also have an 1187 and like it for it's ability to handle 3 inch loads and kill turkeys. They are both great semi auto shotguns.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Administrator
    OK... let me clarify... the 1100 is a fine gun, and it happens to be on of my all time favorite auto shotguns for birds or clays. Shotguns are my first love...

But IMO, there are a lot better systems out there for a semi auto tac gun. Every 1100 I've owned was slightly fickle, and would have problems shooting low brass after high etc. It would shoot, but the gun did cycle right or sometimes not at all. Plus, I'd like to have a heavier built receiver, but that's just me.

The 1100 isn't a bad choice, but I think there is better out there for the money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links