Defensive Carry banner

Defending my farm - opinions needed

4K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  bellyscraper 
#1 ·
I am fortunate enough to live on a decent size farm and unless the aliens land in MY field, I can probably stay put if bad things happen. I could probably bug out to my own woods if I need to. I won't go far, my children have 4 feet and fur and I am pretty dedicated to them. Right now, for long guns, I have a an AR-15 and a Win '94 .30-30 with a scope for big varmint control ( I don't actually eat meat and don't hunt, although I would if I needed to).

The house is off the road with a rise in between, about 300 yards away. The longest shot I can forsee needing to make anywhere on the farm accurately will be around 300 yards.
I've been thinking about caching the AR since I am the only one that knows that I have it, although it would be the better choice for my wife to shoot due to recoil.

I am considering an AR-10 .308 set up with for longer distance with a scope and a bipod. I don't need to collect guns for the sake of collecting. I do shoot frequently out back. I have shot the M1A had a blast, but it's not really what I want, and will cost more than I want to spend for a tool. The extra money can be used for more ammo:yup:

Realistically, what do you think, are the AR-15 and the Winchester enough and I should be satisfied and get more ammo ( I have 3,000 .223 and ~1,000 .30-30, and will get more).

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd go with one of the 20" heavy barrel, flat top AR-15's in your position. Then add your scope and bipod. If you ever wanted to go to a carbine length, just find the appropriate upper. The AR-10 would be nice, but would be somewhat dedicated to the long range scenario. With the AR-15, you'll be modular in the future, and be able to stick with your current stash of ammo in .223. My 2¢

#4 ·
Agreed.

Don't forget about small arms and closer conflicts. Who knows what kind of scenario could play out. I have a similar piece of property/layout and among what I consider core weapons for my needs, that you didn't mention, are a Mossberg 590 with collapsible stock, side and stock shell holders and a full bandoleer, a dependable 1911, and an M6 scout with a very well-thought-out bugout kit.

#5 ·
That's one fine looking Airedale in your avitar!

I would add a handgun or two that both you and your wife can shoot well.

An adjustable stock on the AR will help it fit you both.

You already have the Airedale so I don't need to recommend one.:smile:

Dave

#7 ·
I would first add a .22lr and then a genearl purpose shotgun

your AR should be fine at 300 meters and closer.

The .22lr would be you primary hunting and varmit gun, ammo is very cheap and readily avaible

#8 ·
Good advice from all, thanks. I just wasn't sure that .223 would be enough at that distance. Certainly it would be more cost effective to add another AR15 to the fold.

I have a 1911 ( Springfield Loaded) and a lot of ammo for it, as well as a .22 semi auto pistol. I do not have a .22 rifle at the moment. I have been considering the Marlin 39A. Yes, a lot of people will say Ruger 10/22 as well.

Honestly, I am not sold on the shotgun at this point. I think the AR or the Winnie trumps it for my use. I would rather get another 1911.

Yeah, and my Airedale, big fuzzy teddy bear with HUGE teeth :tongue:

#10 ·
Honestly, I am not sold on the shotgun at this point. I think the AR or the Winnie trumps it for my use. I would rather get another 1911.
.30-30 and .223 have you covered in long guns. No reason to go .308 with the quantity and (I assume)experience you have with the .30-30.

Not everyone likes, or justifiably "needs" a shotty, but it is the poor man's subgun. Lots of thoughts and discussion on the topic, but essentially, shottys are made to deliver a sizeable payload of multiple projectiles in a modest area of target. 00 buck is roughly equivalent (in most respects-it is obviously lacking in range) to 3 3-round bursts from an MP-5.:wink:

Equally, you'll be able to procure 12g for longer and with less restriction, than any of the rifle calibers (assuming scenarios similar to GB and Australia.) Shottys are highly modular, and may be long, unweildy, low capacity duck guns; transitioned in 3 minutes to 6-9 shot 18" CQB weapons. Just a couple of other thoughts for you to consider.

A .22LR rifle is nice in that it is relatively quiet and inexpensive, but a Buckmark or MkII with a 6" or 10" barrel is really as useful and more concealable/packable in the country.

#9 ·
Is all of your in stock .223 ammo FMJ? Can I suggest these for your nuisance critter options for longer distance?

#12 ·
I'm comfortable with the .30-30, accurate at 200 yards (with iron sights as well). I haven't done much shooting beyond that, but that's partly why I added the scope. I have done no long distance with the AR. I originally got it for closer range protection but I was out front the other day when I realized I might want longer distance.

Ramrod, most of my ammo is FMJ but I have a few hundred rounds of 45gr JHP winchester. I haven't tried it on flesh and blood though. How well does it work, and on what size varmint?

The critical varmints that I have are coyotes, the neighbors pit bulls that lunge at my horses, and the upright kind. I have caught someone scoping out my stuff once already. Although we live out in farm country, there is a lot of theft and drugs. There was a major drug bust a mile from my house ( million dollars worth of meth). One of us is home almost all the time and we have 4 dogs which helps.

However, last night I armed myself and went to check on the house I own next door ( it's an abandoned farm house) because my wife heard some unusual noises. She thinks I am weird when I slink in the shadows and stay hidden :) Happily it turned out to be nothing.

#15 ·
At night I use a shotgun on the farm. During the day a Winchester 94 in .30-30. The open sights of the lever-gun make shots on varmints that are running easier than if it was scoped. Most shots for me are under 200 yards & at night under 25 yards.

#16 ·
One thing about a shotty is it can take flying meat if need be from pheasant to quail or with slugs 00 buck can take deer bear etc.As far as rifles you seem to have that covered fairly well,along with handguns.I would concentrate on stockpiling ammo for the weapons at hand and storing in a container that a seal to keep out moisture and throw in some dessicant paks to absorb any moisture,I reload so I currently am stocking up on powder, primers ,brass ,and lead to cast bullets

#17 ·
Shotgun points well made. I am at work on the ammo. I bought more today :) I am still a little shy on .45acp though

#19 ·
If your original budget was for an AR priced platform I'd suggest a shotgun first and then a Stevens model 200 rifle in .308 or 30-06. They can be had for about $250 and with a decent scope shoot very well. That way if you really want to reach out and touch someone (or smash an engine block at 300 yards) you can. The 5.56 mm round just doesn't have the horse power. From what you listed the Stevens is not really a need but more of a luxury item.

#20 ·
I'm in pretty much the same position as you. My drive way is 326 yards long. While I've been collecting guns for many years my main weapons that I depend on are my Bushmaster AR-15 and Armalite AR-10T .308. With the .308 you have a heavy hitting bullet that is hard to defeat with body armor. They are both a blast to shoot but if I have to defend my place at long distance I'd go with the AR-10. My scope is stadia that are matched for my 168 gr SPBT bullet at 2550 FPS out to 1000 yards. (according to the directions) I've not tried it at that distance but it's great at up to 400 yards so far. I'm still playing with loads for it trying to bring my standard deviation down to around 5 or 6 and extreme spread to under 15 FPS. I've got a range out my front door with a shooting bench on my front porch. That in it's self should make someone reconsider trying to come at the house with ill intent. Another thing to think of is heaver bullets for your AR-15 if your twist is fast enough to handle it. Some where like 1 in 9 twist will work great on a 65 Sierra Spitzer BT bullet. Much heaver and you end up having problems making them fit in the magazine and they end up needing to be single loaded. Or you can go with Black Hills ammo and they have some heaver bullets up to 77 grains that fit in the magazine. Find the one that your rifle likes the best and stick with it if you don't reload.

#21 ·
The AR will git 'er done out past 300 yds even with open sights, provided your up to it.

In the Corps we shot 500yds to qualify. 300 was considered a medium range target.

At 300 and under, the biggest advantage to the .308 is it's ability to shoot through light cover if needed. The 5.56 is not known to be a good round for penetrating such things, whereas the .308 is capable of shooting through objects and into targets hiding behind them.

#22 ·
+1 SgtD. Plus the 200 and 300 yard target was made to simulate just the head and shoulders of a human. The 500 yard target was meant to simulate the torso and head. The 500 yard line was my favorite line.

#23 ·
Options

I can think of a couple of options. First that comes to mind is the new LeverEvolution ammo from Hornady. Although I haven't tried it personally, I have had many satisfied customers.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_se...&category_id=617900860f0f136528b6f2d1f845cb05
At 300 yards, it shows a drop of about 12" compared to almost 30 inches with the 150gr RN and 35 inches+ with the 170gr FP. 12 inches of drop is totally easy to compensate for.

Second, why not a good quality but inexpensive rifle for the long shot. I have personally fired a single shot from H&R in .223 and it was super accurate for the cost.
H&R Handi-Rifle Youth
Unfortunately they don't list a .30-30 anymore, but they do have a nice .223 and it's simple enough anybody can use it. For example family members that arent as familiar as you are. Convertables are also available, adding a shotgun barrel for hunteng, perhaps. What you save will buy a lot of practice ammo, a scope, etc.

#25 ·
Well, I have 200 rounds of Leverevolution for just such events. I took Ramrods advice and I just put down the money for a Stag 20" A4 which will get a high power scope and a bipod. It should be here next week. It's going to be noisy at my place next weekend :)

#26 ·
I would add a good accurate high quality rifle in .22 and buy more than a few bricks of .22 - That way you can save your more expensive ammunition for other tasks that cannot be accomplished with your .22 rimfire.
I would opt for the .22 even before I purchased the shotgun.
Just my personal opinion on that.

#27 ·
The AR15 will perform better at the ranges you're stating than the 30-30. How long a barrel does yours have? Barrel length helps with velocity, and velocity counts when using the 5.56 round (anything 14.5" and longer would do you well).

A good rifle in .308 is nice to have, but you're looking to either use what you have or fill a niche, and there are much better calibers for your intended range than .308; heck, a 6.5 Grendel upper from Alexander Arms would fit right onto your existing lower and use your current mags. Just an example.

-B

#31 ·
If you are defending your home, likely the shots you will have to take will be up close and personal, otherwise you will have lots of explaining to do to the police. I like my Storm for home defense, very accurate and little recoil.[/QUOTE

As I read this thread I had the same thought. In a home defense scenario shooting out beyond 100--200yds might be hard to justify.

That's why I got a Romanian AK47 with several 30rd magazines. I can couple two mags together and with my tactical sling I can be very mobile and still deliver a devestating amount of firepower onto multiple targets. I can also stock up on 500rds at a time for a bit over $100.

My "wife gun" (for now) is a stainless Ruger 10/22 with a 4X scope. It can hit (wound, most likely) multiple targets up to 100 yds with low noise, nearly zero recoil and deliver multiple shots with a pair of coupled 25rd magazines. Bricks of 500 hi-velocity rounds run about $25, too.

For on-the-go ranch protection my Kimber .45 carries 13 rounds of low-flash HPs and the tritium night sights allow me to work in complete darkness without betraying my position.

Thinking beyond home defense, if the people's militia element comes into play then a long-range weapon might assert itself, otherwise I'm concentrating on protecting me and mine with the above mentioned tools. :image035:

#30 ·
A few M61's in 20mm on infrared tracking bi-pods mounted to concrete auto-raising sub-terrain platforms would be my choice if defending a piece of my hard earned land, but that's only for the invasion of the aliens/zombies/armed immigrants/axis forces scenario.:image035:

Anyways, the newer DPMS .308 carbine looks like it would be a good weapon for your purpose. It's compact for close quarters, still has the exceptional cover punching energy of the .308 cartridge, and the heavier bullets will help out in the longer ranges even though the short barrel might decrease accuracy a tad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.