Initial Impression of the GP WASR-10 - Page 2

Initial Impression of the GP WASR-10

This is a discussion on Initial Impression of the GP WASR-10 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All depends on you some people need a better cheek weld other need less just like grip size on a hnadgun...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial Impression of the GP WASR-10

All depends on you some people need a better cheek weld other need less just like grip size on a hnadgun

VIP Member
    Euc, welcome to club.

Allow me to introduce my own GP, not a good pic but WTH.

I got this baby for $330 (all fees included) and I have been very happy with it. And yes, the bayonet is there for fun (sent it to all my "anti" friends.) When you finally get to play with yours, you will indeed see that will need some minor finish work. First thing I did was to get the furniture out, bought a pistol grip fore, strip the awful finish it came with and redo it to my liking. I darkened and soaked it silly with tung oil and wax it. might not be the most "tactical" finish, but I like the feel of wood that way. The Other work I did was to polish the trigger group with a dremmel-type tool (amazing difference), installed a recoil buffer, rail and a cheap-butt red dot optic.
    Tack drive is not, but it is a fun gun to shoot and it came in handy one power-less night after Katrina left our neighborhood in the dark.

The great thing about AK's is that most of the accesories for it are not expensive at all and some are downright cheap. 30 round mag prices vary depending on material and where they were built but I just bought 2 at a gun show for $10 a piece, country of origin unknown. You will usually find then in te internet for $12 and up.

PS: wait till you get to bump-fire it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Robert - what is your recommendation, at sensible cost - for easy-fit mounts for AK's generally?
    If there's a siderail, the usual Russian-style with clamp work well. CDNN and elsewhere has them - but I *always* ask if it's got a clamp-type release or requires allen wrenches. If it takes tools, I run.

If you have a MAK-90 or something without a siderail, it's a crap shoot. I've seen top covers that work, seen the gas tube rail work, etc. - and seen as many examples that don't.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

VIP Member
    #1. The side mount, for which I am personally not aware of a low profile mount. Such a mount may exist but I am not aware of it.
    There is, but it does involve allen screws. You do have enough space to remove the cover and do an almost normal cleaning.

I have a second generation installed in mine. No complains.

This one is the Third generation with a side rail for lights. $29 at Cheaperthandirt.com

My thinking is, the KOBRA red dot sight would be ideal if you were serious. If you actually wanted to use the sight for social work, that'd be the one you needed.
    It is a beautiful and rugged system. But costing almost as much as the rifle itself? Ouch!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    Some other thoughts about AK and variants.

The AK is an inexpensive reliable long gun. Those who are fans and aleardy own AR's or FAL's or Styers are not going to suddenly change their minds, sell their babies and run to get a WASR. However, those who want a long gun for house defense and cannot afford a thousand bucks or more to get one of the models above, cannot go wrong buying an AK. The idea is to have something to use NOW. Think in terms of an old Jeep (AK) and a Hummer (AR and such), yes, it would be nice to have the Hummer to go offroading in style, but the old jeep will take you there too.

Also, the AK is easy as hell to clean and maintain. Ammo is cheap and in 7,62, lethal. Anybody with some very basic mechanical skills can take the AK apart, mess with it and put it back together without troubles. Aftermarket parts are available and economical in most cases and some cool furniture is out there if you want to spruce the look of your AK.
    Randy Cain.

An ol' buddy who worked with the ATF (in those days, it was just "ATF" and the local agents were shootin' buddies; how things change ...) was also a Viet Nam vet, and he put it well, if politically incorrectly:

"The M16 was designed for technologically capable, first world troops, provided intensive training and with armorers handy. It's highly accurate, and very sophisticated in design.

"The AK and SKS were designed with allowances for third world conscripts, who'd never before picked up a firearm, and who would be trained in a rush and shipped out to hide in the bushes! They're crude, unsophisticated and less accurate. But, they're danged near impossible to screw up, unless ya really try hard!"

I picked up a GP WASR a couple weeks ago, and haven't yet had an opportunity to test fire it (hope to remedy that within the week, though). If it performs up to the AK reputation, it'll become my "truck gun" (to back up my CCW handgun).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links