Why did I wait so long to buy my AR-15?

This is a discussion on Why did I wait so long to buy my AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning I had the opportunity to take my brand spanking new Smith & Wesson M&P15 to the range. I set my target up at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did I wait so long to buy my AR-15?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

This morning I had the opportunity to take my brand spanking new Smith & Wesson M&P15 to the range. I set my target up at the 25 yard line, figuring that would be a good starting point to make adjustments to the sights. I ended up running eighty flawless 55 gr. Remington UMC rounds through it, and scored 1/4" groups at 25 yards. My Romanian GP WASR10 can only dream of achieving that type of accuracy. I would say that is darn good considering I never touched the sights. Now I see why the AR is such a popular platform. Accuracy is an understatement with it. The super low recoil makes for a very pleasant shooting experience, and I should have bought one of these things a long time ago!

For those of you looking to buy an M4 type rifle, the Smith & Wesson M&P15 is one to consider IMO. I love it!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Better late than never I always say! Have fun, be safe!

Administrator
    So why did you wait so long? Didn't you believe us?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Mainly due to lack of available funds. A basic AR rifle is the cost of two AK rifles, but thanks to the state oil revenue, I was able to obtain an AR rifle. Had I known I could buy a rifle at 18 years of age, I would have purchased one a long time ago. I didn't realize you had to be 18 years old to buy long guns until I was almost 21 LOL!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Nice purchase...will work well if the mobs are roaming the streets looking for victims...

Buy now...only about 13 weeks left for purchases of those evil black rifles.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got 1.5" groups at 100 yards last weekend with my MP15 right out of the box, lake city XM193 ammo. i think with better ammo and a match trigger it should do even better

Congrats on your purchase.

I'm in the same boat with asking "Why did I wait so long?". Never thought I'd be interested in a black rifle as Cowboy Action Shooting and Old West guns were my only passion. Recently I started concentrating on collecting US miltary pistols/rifles. Then this past spring I saw a Colt SP 1 with no forward assist and it just screamed "old school" so I bought it. First time at the range I was hooked. Within two months I bought an M4gery. I wonder how long before I find another "must have" AR.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You wait only to save up money for ammo. You'll find that out in the next few weeks.......but they are sure fun to shoot.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    Nice firearm. Congrats on getting one. Shoot it in good health.

Ever since I carried an M16 in the military I always liked the weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Zero it at 100 meters. You will not get any better than about 4 MOA out of any "service grade" barrel.

25 yards is easy with a long bow, especially an AR15 platform with decent ammunition. Your real telling point is going to be the 100 meter mark.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I hear you, bro, why did we wait so long???

I fired mine today for the first time - just one 30 round mag - but I forgot how much fun they are to shoot!!!

I'm going back for some more this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Zero it at 100 meters. You will not get any better than about 4 MOA out of any "service grade" barrel.

25 yards is easy with a long bow, especially an AR15 platform with decent ammunition. Your real telling point is going to be the 100 meter mark.
    I'd actually zero it at 36 yards if possible, assuming it has standard sights on it, but that is just me.

They are pretty handy things to keep on hand.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

MidwayUSA has a good deal on 30 round AR Stoner mags w/ Magpul followers. Stock up while you can, I know I am!

Yep, I've got the same rifle, S&W M&P 15. I haven't shot it much but it sure is a hoot when I do. At some point I want to swap the front hand guard for a quad rail free float model, maybe add a vertical grip (Tango Down, etc). I also want the Magpul ergo grip and a Vortex flash hider ... it gets expensive pretty quick, huh?
    Jack

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd actually zero it at 36 yards if possible, assuming it has standard sights on it, but that is just me.
    Unless one plans on taking 300+ yard shots regularly, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

A 50/200 yard zero would be more appropriate for the vast majority of ranges a rifle will see defensive use in. Consider the difference in how much a bullet will rise and fall in a 50/200 vs a 25/300 yard zero; +/- 2" compared to 8-10" is pretty significant.

Conventional wisdom says zero at 50, fine-tune when possible at 200. Here's a good article to read on the subject: Improved Battlesight Zero.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links