Home Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Home Defense Ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just have a question about HD ammo. How much difference is there between a 2 3/4" 00 Buck vs a 3" 00 Buck round ...

Thread: Home Defense Ammo

Home Defense Ammo

I just have a question about HD ammo. How much difference is there between a 2 3/4" 00 Buck vs a 3" 00 Buck round and the same thing with a 1 oz slug. Given that the mfg is the same in both sizes.
    I am just thinking that in a HD scenario, where the distance is generally pretty close, the 2 3/4 is good, but I would like to hear others thoughts on this.
    Thanks for listening and answering all of my questions. I have a lot to learn!!

Thanks, Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If you dont need extended range, 2 3/4 shells are fine. 3" shells dont do much of anything different aside from tossing the shot a little further.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Stick with 2.75" shells, you would lose more due to recoil than you would gain due to range
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    In a HD situation the only advantage I can see in the 3" over the 2.75 is the additional number of pellets. Not sure if that outweighs the difference in recoil though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a coach gun for HD...all my shells are Fiocchi 12ga 00buck...2 3/4...9 pellet...that's all I'll need for inside or around the home.

Stay armed...two barrels are a great welcoming team...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In a HD situation the only advantage I can see in the 3" over the 2.75 is the additional number of pellets. Not sure if that outweighs the difference in recoil though.
    I agree with that. For my HD shotguns in the past that were chambered for 3", and the one I am determined to get soon, I'll also go with 2 3/4" simply for the fact you can fit more in the magazine tube than if you used 3". Then, as mentioned before...the recoil. The 3" would be considered the magnum over the standard 2 3/4".

I also have a coach gun with the double hammers, in 12 ga & keep it loaded with # 4 tacitical buck shor or 00 buck i think it would make one hell of a mess it the SHTF

You get a few more pieces of shot with the 3" (I believe 3 if my memory is correct), with more recoil, and slightly more distance. I'd stick with 2 3/4, its all I have ever bought, depending on your shotgun and how many it holds you could lost capacity with 3" shells.

Slugs have a certain purpose in HD, but IMO their realm is rather limited due to overpenetration issues (of course this depends on the house layout, distance to other structures ect...), but I'd stick with 2 3/4" for them too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

With 3" shells lose magazine capacity because of extra lenght. Also
    if defending home would use smaller shot - range is short and less
    chance of overpentration with pellets going through wall. #1
    buck in 2 3/4" gives you 16 pellets with larger pattern and less
    chance of over penetration.

I deer hunt with an 1100 Remington with a 3" chamber. When I first bought the gun, many years ago, I took it out and shot it with 00 Buck to patern it. I shot it at severa different distancces with 2 3/4". When getting ready to hunt, all I could find was 3" 00 Buck. I shot some of these and was amazed to discover that with the extra 3 shot in the load, it was shooting much lower than the 2 3/4". It also kicked harder. From my personal experience I would choose to shoot the 2 3/4". From a short barrel the 9 .38 cal. shot in this load should sperad very well, less recoil, faster follow up shots. As was posted by njslim, if you are concerned with overpenetration, go to #1 Buck. Don't know for sure if it would give you a larger patern, but it sure would give you a much denser patern!

Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

I know Wolf has a bad reputation for producing cheap/low quality ammo, but for my HD pump shot gun I have Wolf Slug and Wolf 00 buckshot. They are both very low recoil, allowing for quick follow up shots. The bullet drop on the slugs is pretty significant, they are nothing like buck hammer hunting ammo. I think they are perfect for home defense and 3 gun matches.

Links