Uzi

This is a discussion on Uzi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just watch You Don't Mess With Zohan . Very juvenile (I guess I am past that stage). Adam Sandler plays an Israeli counter-terrorist. There ...

Thread: Uzi

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Uzi

I just watch You Don't Mess With Zohan. Very juvenile (I guess I am past that stage). Adam Sandler plays an Israeli counter-terrorist. There are scenes where they arm themselves with Uzis.

I did a search and not many Uzi threads came up. I would think it would be a good 9mm carbine in semi-auto. Why are is there not more talk of Uzis as a defensive carbine here? I thought it was a good gun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

There are just better defensive weapons out there. Longer barrels, better accuracy, reliability. They don't all suck but I used to own one and it was a jamomatic, I sold it for something classier. They are cool looking though.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Administrator
    Uzi builds a quality carbine, but the design isnt the best and they are somewhat hard use with any skill without a lot of practice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For one thing they are very heavy.

Another is that they supply of Semi Auto Uzis' is drying up. The version that most would probably own to avoid the expenditure of a FA ones. With the recent close of Vector, who was the only ones still making a Semi Auto Uzi clone the likely hood gets smaller to get one. So prices are rising on whats out there.

And thirdly they are VERY heavy! They really are. A necessary addition to a good Mil Type collection though and I do have one but it would not probably be my first choice to grab out for a Defense Carbine to use. The weight issue is the same reason you don't hear many touting the virtues of the Thompson as a good general use Carbine. However and M1 Carbine is a good choice.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    UZI's IIRC where never designed to be Closed Bolt. I have a full auto Group industries and that thing never has any feed issues running semi or on Full auto. Also, the weight helps you when running full auto control the gun and it is a very accurate contrable sub gun. As soon as you start lightening things controlability goes right out the window. I have a friend with a semi version of the uzi. Upon tearing it apart I found many more parts then mine.

Full Auto Class three open bolt UZI Awesome, I prefer it over the MP-5, for a few reasons. First I have one hehehehehe and I don't have an MP-5 or Hk-94, two: UZI Less parts, three: lower cyclic rate but very controlable, Magazine changes are much easier expecially in the dark, reliability is slightly higher on open bolt guns and no worries of cook offs, replacing parts is so easy it shouldn't be allowed, and yes you actually can control an UZI one handed on full auto.

Closed bolt Semi auto carbineI would look at something else, I.E. a Rock River 9mm or something else.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Accuracy out of a semi=auto open bolt gun isn't very good,when the bolt slams shut to fire the shot tends to go low,full auto OTOH and they are great guns ,I've shot the uzi and MP5 they both shoot good but uzi is easier to work on
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Uzi

I have one, a Norinco 320. The wood stock and 16" barrel are horrible and ugly. I looked into getting a folding stock and found out that enough US made parts would cost almost as much as making it an SBR so I'm waiting on the trust paperwork to make it into a 10" barrel with a folding stock. It's a fine shooter, accurate and it feeds anything I put in it including JHP. I keep +P Gold Saber in it just in case, and I keep stocking up on magazines for the Obamaban.

Worst stock ever:

Senior Moderator
    I remember when the UZI was being imported into the states, the semi auto version was more expensive because they had to be reworked and parts added to them to make them legal to own.

As a semi auto,closed bolt, the platform stinks. Its big,ugly,heavy, and it's just not much fun.

Robb99 pretty much nailed it. As an open bolt gun capable of full auto fire, it did the job well. The weight of it was an asset rather than a liability as it is with a closed bolt. Being an open bolt gun, they weren't really meant for accurate shooting, but for close quarters combat they were good for what they had at the time.

The MP5 pretty much made it obsolete because it was lighter, could be shouldered and was much more accurate if an accurate shot was needed. Also, being a closed bolt made the first shot more accurate. It was a much more versatile gun than the UZI and its the reason that they are sort of fading away.You still see them alot in Mideast and South African countries though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have an Israeli-manufactured one which I found NIB at the gun show a couple of years ago. It has the folding stock, and currently the 16" barrel, since I haven't gotten the SBR registration done.

On the up side, it's been totally reliable with any type of ammo. It's never jammed or failed to feed. Ever. It's actually quite accurate, with the advantage of truly neglible recoil. Follow-up shots are easy. It points naturally, and even those who are new to shooting find it enjoyable and effective. It's also easy to maintain.

On the down side, it is heavy, and a fairly large frame for a 9mm. Effective range is limited by the pistol round. The sights are rather basic, since it was never really intended to be anything other than a short-range weapon. And it's expensive, compared to other carbines. From what I've seen lately, a used, good-condition Israeli model will easily run in excess of $1500.

If you have one, you could do a lot worse, but you could also do quite a bit better with more modern weapons. If you're in the market for a defensive carbine, rather than as a collectible, it's probably better to shop for something else. On the other hand, if you find one at a good price, you really can't go too far wrong. They are a lot of fun to shoot, easy to operate, and 32 rounds of 9mm JHP can be a pretty good deterrent.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have one, a Norinco 320. The wood stock and 16" barrel are horrible and ugly. I looked into getting a folding stock and found out that enough US made parts would cost almost as much as making it an SBR so I'm waiting on the trust paperwork to make it into a 10" barrel with a folding stock. It's a fine shooter, accurate and it feeds anything I put in it including JHP. I keep +P Gold Saber in it just in case, and I keep stocking up on magazines for the Obamaban.

Worst stock ever:

Dig the pick one of these days I wouldn't mind getting the wooden stock, for full auto it makes a difference the underfolder has a tendency to rattle the gun a little more.

Anyway heres my baby! I do have a bayonet for it but I don't have any picks of it with it on it. Not sure how good a bayonet on a sub gun is because I really wouldn't want to get that close to somebody.

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links