Looking for a quality and yet inexpensive holo/red dot sight

This is a discussion on Looking for a quality and yet inexpensive holo/red dot sight within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to get an Eotech system for my AR, but I don't feel like spending 400-500 dollars for a sight system. I do ...

Thread: Looking for a quality and yet inexpensive holo/red dot sight

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Looking for a quality and yet inexpensive holo/red dot sight

I would like to get an Eotech system for my AR, but I don't feel like spending 400-500 dollars for a sight system. I do want a quality one though. At most I'm willing to spend 200 bucks on one, so maybe you guys could give me some to consider. Thanks!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

My BSA 30mm red dot sight mounted on my carry handle has proved itself over the years. Mine is the dial type, but the push-button isn't that much more. What can you say? Cheap? Maybe....depending. I do have a new green laser for my AR...and it's probably deemed cheap as well. I only have one rifle where the optics cost more than the rifle itself, and that's the Savage 110 fp with a Springfield Armory 3rd gen scope. For what it's worth. Optics don't make the weapon....the user does. A $600 sight might keep you up with the Jones's, but it will do you no good with the basics. Don't be fooled by hype.

Administrator
    You are not going to get a true holographic sight for $200.

You can get an "illuminated red dot" but, it will not be a hologram sight.

The closest you will be able to come to getting a true holographic for "around" $200. would be to start shopping around for a Bushnell Holosight.

Bushnell invented the EoTech but, EoTech battle hardened it and improved the controls.

The Bushnell & the EoTech are basically the exact same holographic optical system though. Just FYI

You can grab a Bushnell on Ebay for around $225. to $240. ot thereabouts on a Buy It Now.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    For Red-Dots, I've been very happy with my Bushnell Trophy. It's basically a 1x ACOG-style red-dot, but very durable and I like the T-reticle. I just wish it was a little bit smaller.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I agree with the Bushnell for a cheaper sight. Me and my car buddies use that saying a lot when asked questions "you can have any TWO of these THREE things, if you have those TWO, you will be lacking the third that you didn't chose.

Sights can't be fast, but I think we can come up with a substitute word for our purposes, and the general point is made anyhow.

1. Fast
    2. Cheap
    3. Reliable

I've heard good things about the Burris Fast-fire reflex-sight from guys who have really put them through the ringer in training classes and "torture tests." About $200 +/- seems to be the going rate.

That said, I've seen some models of the EOTech around $3-350 if you skip the NV-compatible versions.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    For Red-Dots, I've been very happy with my Bushnell Trophy. It's basically a 1x ACOG-style red-dot, but very durable and I like the T-reticle. I just wish it was a little bit smaller.
    I had this on my AR-15 for a few years and loved it. I have since upgraded to an aimpoint with 3X magnifier but this little guy was more than adequate for 3-gun matches, coyote hunting and any range work you want to do.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to wait awhile and save up for the Eotech. I figured if I'm going to have a good quality rifle, it's going to have good quality optics. I'll learn to shoot it using the iron sights first though, because nothing is worse than having a red dot or other optic fail and not knowing how to shoot well using iron sights.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Links