Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns

This is a discussion on Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the Wally Worlds around here they have 6 or 7 shot for dirt cheap quite often, it won't feel the same as your HD ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns

At the Wally Worlds around here they have 6 or 7 shot for dirt cheap quite often, it won't feel the same as your HD rounds, but if it will get you out shooting, it's perfect in my book.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

2. Remove Ads

Hmm! Will check that out. I need to start using this gun. Figured if not using, what is the point. I do think standard stock will make me happier (even tho never shot a long gun) as just looks more "right" to me. Inexpensive ammo is always a good thing, did not price at Wally's so thanks for the tip...

Administrator
    Online dealers will sometimes have good deals, check out Cheaperthandirt.com, or ammoman.com. I'm sure there are plenty of others as well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Update. I talked to guys in 2 different gunshops yesterday, came away with more ammo so I guess I am keeping the mossie. I also was given card of instructor with private range who can instruct me on all my kids, so think I am going that route.

All gunshop men I spoke to said keep the pistol grip rather than change out to standard, easier to move around home with it if need to use it. Not sold on that yet so will see what the instructor has to say on the topic. Thanks everyone!

Very hard to secure and store a loaded shotgun for quick access if the need arises. Shotguns are good if you know that a threat is enroute or tensions escalate to prepare for defense. Everyday personnal security is best served by a handgun of reasonable caliber.

My recommendation is get a handgun (Glock G19 in 9mm) and train with it. You can secure it in a pistol safe so that it does not get into a childs hands or a burgler if you happen to be out of your home.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Update. I talked to guys in 2 different gunshops yesterday, came away with more ammo so I guess I am keeping the mossie. I also was given card of instructor with private range who can instruct me on all my kids, so think I am going that route.

All gunshop men I spoke to said keep the pistol grip rather than change out to standard, easier to move around home with it if need to use it. Not sold on that yet so will see what the instructor has to say on the topic. Thanks everyone!
    You'll figure out sooner or later that gun shop employees are sometimes the worst people to get tactical advice from, but are often the best places to get technical advice. Remember, they work in a store flapping their gums for a living, not on the street actually doing what the pretend to be experts at.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 17th, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Pistol Grip

With a full stock, you can always tuck it under your arm if you want to shoot it without aiming, or you can bring it up to your shoulder and aim. With the pistol grip only, you are limited to pointing and any shooting using the sight is awkward and even dangerous to you.

Replacements from Brownell's:
    BUTT STOCK, SYNTHETIC, BANTAM, YOUTH & LADIES at Brownells

Synthetic is about $30 cheaper than wood. Not sure what you have.

And for defensive ammo, the S&B is much cheaper than the Winchester for buckshot. Winchester is like 6 bucks for 5 rounds, S&B is $19 for 25 rounds.
    BUCKSHOT : Ammunition To Go

Synthetic, my mossie is synthetic. Thanks for the links, superhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...flapping their gums for a living, not on the street actually doing what the pretend to be experts at.
    Thanks! Oh, I understand. I actually have met a few gunshop folks who are former cops and/or former military which comes out in conversation, they don't wear signs or anything...

I do go to various shops to get opinons as I know not one human knows "everything". Sort of an average consensus "wins" in my mind! I had three shop folks (1 woman, 2 men) say similar regarding the value of having my particular mossie and lack of value selling it, etc. so going on the average (divide in three, carry the 1).

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You'll figure out sooner or later that gun shop employees are sometimes the worst people to get tactical advice from, but are often the best places to get technical advice. Remember, they work in a store flapping their gums for a living, not on the street actually doing what the pretend to be experts at.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Thanks! Oh, I understand. I actually have met a few gunshop folks who are former cops and/or former military which comes out in conversation, they don't wear signs or anything...

I do go to various shops to get opinons as I know not one human knows "everything". Sort of an average consensus "wins" in my mind! I had three shop folks (1 woman, 2 men) say similar regarding the value of having my particular mossie and lack of value selling it, etc. so going on the average (divide in three, carry the 1).
    Ya gotta read all the words!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto has it right, could not improve on the advice he has given you. I don't know where in FL your are, but if you are near Gander Mtn, I suspect you are in Central FL, as I know Gander has a store in Lake Mary. There are a few ranges around. Seminole County has one near the dump on Old Osceola Rd. A&N gun shop in Sanford has the info on it. There is also the Titusville Rifle & Pistol Club, open to the public, $10 range fee. Check them on google for their website, which has a lot of information. One shot with that pistol grip on your Mossy will convince you it is easier to shoot and more controllable using a shoulder stock.

Thanks!

I'd also highly recommend some sort of recoil pad on the shoulder stock, it makes a day of shooting go by easier. The more you practice, the less you have to worry about what you're doing

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

get the mossberg in 12 gauge and use low brass shells the 18.5 barrel and pistal grip one

Quote Originally Posted by george ries View Post
    get the mossberg in 12 gauge and use low brass shells the 18.5 barrel and pistal grip one
    Pistol grip will make it harder to shoot. The jump from a 24" .410 to a 18" 12ga is huge.

Seeing as how you are new to guns, i can't really recommend a shortie 12ga with a pistol grip. You will need to have good control to both practice with it and reliably use it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links