Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns

This is a discussion on Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, new to guns but newer to the forum. I'd like some feedback on something I am considering. I am a middle-aged female and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns

Newbie Question RE: Mossberg Shotguns

Hi all, new to guns but newer to the forum. I'd like some feedback on something I am considering. I am a middle-aged female and my first gun purchases ever were earlier this year, putting a Mossberg 500 persuader (.410) on layaway along with my snubbie. In the time to pay it off, I got more familiar with handguns and now question my logic for ever having purchased it, albeit slow via layaway. Original thought was the mossie would be home defense while the snubbie would be my carry, if I ever get my CWL back from the state... still under 90 days at this point.

I now realize that finding someone to show me how to shoot the shotgun and a range that will allow me to do so are maybe scarce in my area (suburb of Orlando). Even tho I'd take a hit, I am considering selling it to help pay off my newest layaway (3913LS).

Should I keep it rather than take a loss or what logic would you use. It was my first purchase and the only one I now have second thoughts about. I am thinking why have a gun that I can't find instruction on nor place to practice? Would getting a .22 rifle make more sense or leave long guns alone...

BTW, I'd worry about the spread of ammo with a shotgun, if I did use it at home, as have four-footed children (pleural) to consider and why at this point I think handguns make more sense for me personally. Any insight welcomed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    First off ... Welcome to the forums

A home defense firearm is kind of a personal choice. A shotgun is probably one of the best for HD. It has plenty of stopping power to stop a bad guy in his tracks and will reach out with a pattern of shot better than a pistol, however, remember that it is an extension of your arm, meaning, its a longer weapon. In a close quarters situation, a BG may be able to take it away from you (by surprise) easier than a handgun.

My wife is educated in the use of a shotgun and is much more confident in hitting what she wants better than a handgun. I keep a HD shotgun at the ready all the time in our bedroom. I prefer a shotgun for night time HD in the bedroom.

Might I suggest that you visit a few gun shops in your area and ask about gun clubs in your area. You need to talk to the right people at the gun shop. Dont ask the guy at the pistol counter although he would be good to ask for pistol practice. Go talk to the guy who shoots trap/skeet and sells the shotguns. They should be able to point you to a range, at that point, get to know somebody knowledgeable, at the range, and maybe they can then start getting you into shooting the shotgun and offer range/practice techniques that will be useful in HD.

Another way to get involved with a shotgun is to take a Hunter Safety Course in FL. You may be enrolled with younger students but the basic course knowledge is invaluable and will be mostly patterned towards long arms. Talk to the instructor as he will most likely be able to recommend a place/person to help get you the training you need. Even if you never plan to hunt, the education and training is important. Stay away from rifles or .22 weapons for HD.

Hope this helps a little and you are able to make a confident decision. It really comes down to feeling confident with the weapon of choice and thats done by shooting and practice. Once you've established confidence and know the capabilities of the weapon, you're pretty much "good to go".

Good Luck, Be Safe!

ETA: Maybe try the National Shooting Sports Foundation NSSF. They can help you get started on the right foot. http://www.nssf.org/media/multimedia/PR_women.cfm

http://www.firstshots.org/

_
    Last edited by Rcher; October 15th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Add link
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Mossberg

My wife keeps a Mossberg 500 in .410 as her favorite shotgun for defense. She hated the recoil of anything bigger. Bragging pic:

The shotgun and handgun serve different roles in home defense. The shotgun has power and is easier to hit with, but less mobile. The hangun is less powerful and harder to hit with, but portable and concealable. You can stick it in your back pocket to answer an unepected knock at the door and the pizza guy or neighbor borrowing a cup of sugar will never know it was there. If you are in a safe place with some cover waiting for help, nothing beats a shotgun covering the door. PM me if you get to the Daytona area, the range where I work can probably accomodate a few .410 rounds. There are options for ammo for the shotgun that will penetrate less walls than a handgun bullet, but if you go to too small of a size in birdshot, it may not penetrate a person enough. There are lots of different opinions on this, some discussions get a little heated. The buckshot options for the .410 are limited, there are plenty of loads of "big" birdshot available. My opinion, at close ranges big birdshot will be enough to change the direction of the conflict, even from a .410. If you plan your fire carefully, buckshot is better. That would be another advantage of firing the shotgun from a fixed location, you can estimate about where in your house you will be shooting. I have "armored" my kid's room with heavy furniture and bookshelves and I know where I can't fire in the house.

And welcome to D.C.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Shotguns do make good HD weapons, however they are bulky and hard to manuever in close quarters. I'd also question using a 410 gauge. No doubt this would kill, but a 20 or 12 is much more practical and the 20 doesn't have that much more recoil than a 410.
    If I understand you correctly, the shotgun is on lawaway along with the snubbie and you're considering a 3913LS. If all 3 guns are at the same shop, I don't think you'd have a problem canceling the lawaway and using the funds to buy the 3913LS. By the way, the 3913LS IMO is a very good gun for HD. The 9mm
    cartridge is very effective using high velocity HP ammo such as Cor-Bon. The gun is lightweight and fits a womans smaller hand quite well, good choice.
    What I would do in your situation is just get one gun and become proficient in it's use. Since carry is your top priority, I would focus on the 3913LS. If the shotgun and snubbie are at a different shop than the S&W, I would see if the shop with the guns on layaway could obtain a 3913LS or something similar and just transfer the funds to it. You will find most shops are very flexible and want to please the customer.
    One last thing, .22's are great target guns, but I would only use one for self defense as a last ditch measure. Good luck and welcome.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Welcome

I too am a newbie and have learned alot from this forum. I bought a Mossberg 500 JIC (just in case) and I love it. It is a 12 gauge with a pistol grip and a 18.5 barrell. It is used just for home defense. From everything I have read when you are awakened at 3 am you have a better chance defending yourself with a shot gun than a pistol. A bunch of pellets to the body would be better than a missed shot into the sheetrock.I know when I wake up in the middle of the night I'm a little groggy and it would be hard for me to focus on aiming in a split second. Just my .02. Good luck.

Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If I understand you correctly, the shotgun is on lawaway along with the snubbie and you're considering a 3913LS. If all 3 guns are at the same shop, I don't think you'd have a problem canceling the lawaway and using the funds to buy the 3913LS.
    Nope, mossie and snubbie at home, S&W is new gun on layaway. Pawn shop would not help my dilema about shotgun, so had to take the mossie home which is sitting in my closet, NIB, while snubbie got me my CWL. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    PM me if you get to the Daytona area, the range where I work can probably accomodate a few .410 rounds.
    Will do. I'd like to know ammo options too!

Don't cancel your layaway. Buy it. Try it. Get familiar with it. Find a place you can go shoot it safely free and shoot enough to become intimately familiar with it. Keep it for several months. The Mossy is very cheap to shoot and a very effective weapon in doors. Don't worry about the 4-footers--they're pretty low to the ground and if you get taken out, they're done anyway--learn to protect yourself proficiently. If you could find someone with some property out of town or something--that would be great. Contact your local IDPA and get involved once each month or so--those folks will teach you a lot.

You've made two good decisions on those weapons. Stay. Read. Ask. Don't be afraid to look stupid like some of us here! ;)

Welcome to the crowd! :)

A few things:
    • modern shotguns are not "pellet fans"- they don't throw a huge fan of shot in room-distances.
    • 00 buck, in a 3 pellet .410 shell is respectable. Think of a shotgun as a poor-person's submachinegun. It is going to put several bullets into the target in an immediate manner, and its purpose is traumatic shock through tissue damage and bleeding. A good .410 should keep its pellets inside about 3" at 20 yards.

Having said that, the .410 should be fed 00, if you want its most meaningful advantage. If you use slugs, you'll honestly get more practical advantage from the 3913 by being able to place more rounds on target(of very similar weight) in much shorter time.

Having been hit by .410 #7 shot in my youth, as were a few friends, I would not commend birdshot (aka "BS") for defensive usage. BS is only used in LE by corrections, since they really don't want to kill escapees. Close-in, it will certainly kill, but the issue is one of policy, not effectiveness.

Defensive use of weapons is a science...

Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    Don't worry about the 4-footers--they're pretty low to the ground and if you get taken out, they're done anyway--learn to protect yourself proficiently. . . . .

You've made two good decisions on those weapons. Stay. Read. Ask. Don't be afraid to look stupid like some of us here! ;)
    Thanks for the reality check on the dogs. Actually, if a BG shot/killed one of them, he had better be ready to meet his maker if I am around and armed... For some women, it is cats. for me, it is my dogs. Anywho, good point on the dogs getting injured... if I am defending "our" lives, its way beyond worrying about accidental injury of them, no doubt.

Thanks for the compliment on my gun selection. I am going it alone and trying to buy as wisely as I can so glad someone else thinks I am doing okay. The mossberg is the only one I have felt might have been not good choice for all the above-stated reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    A few things:
    [LIST][*]modern shotguns are not "pellet fans"- they don't throw a huge fan of shot in room-distances.[*]00 buck, in a 3 pellet .410 shell is respectable.
    Thanks for the clue on ammo choice and also the potential fanning of ammo when shot. I guess I need to see how far the spread actually IS by shooting the darn thing.

Oh, where does anyone suggest I get ammo for it at reasonable prices? I paid $1 a shell at the place I got it (pawn shop) just because they said "you are going to buy ammo for it, right?". Five shells for $5 is not good at all. There is a Ganders not far from here but I am thinking buying online or out of a catalog should be better than THAT. Thanks!

Oh, PS. My mossie has a pistol grip. Not sure how practical that really is??? Would a standard stock make it any "better" to shoot... any more accurate or not. Duh. I feel really dense about this shotgun. Thanks for all the info, folks.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Oh, PS. My mossie has a pistol grip. Not very. Not sure how practical that really is??? Would a standard stock make it any "better" to shoot... any more accurate or not. Yes.Duh. I feel really dense about this shotgun. Thanks for all the info, folks.
    You can add a standard stock for a little cash. I wouldnt give up on the shotgun, but I would make it as practical as possible.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So, in your opinion, standard stock is "better"? I just don't know. doih. I just need to shoot this thing rather than agonizing over it, I guess. Might get to do it one day yet! Thanks.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    So, in your opinion, standard stock is "better"? I just don't know. doih. I just need to shoot this thing rather than agonizing over it, I guess. Might get to do it one day yet! Thanks.
    Yeah, thats what I'm saying. It gives you a lot more options for use, its easier to shoot etc... being it your first, you need to learn to do things properly first. IMO, the pistol grips have very limited practical applications and do more "looking cool" than anything else.

Yeah, you'll need to shoot it and get yourself used to it. You can buy cheap ammo at any outdoor store like Gander etc., and there are deals to be found at Walmart even. See if you can pick up a 100 round value pack of bird shot, that should get you well on your way.
    Then you only need to buy a few boxes of good defense type ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links