Buttstock on AR-15?

Buttstock on AR-15?

This is a discussion on Buttstock on AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have the A2 Buttstock mounted on my AR-15 (.300), and really want to replace it with something a little more... sexy? I've been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttstock on AR-15?

Buttstock on AR-15?

I currently have the A2 Buttstock mounted on my AR-15 (.300), and really want to replace it with something a little more... sexy?

I've been looking at the MagPul PRS.

I HATE the collapsible M4 CAR style stocks. They feel cheap.

I love the feel of my A2. I'm convinced i could use it as a Backup weapon if i ran out of ammo. Has anyone used the PRS? Any ideas of a good replacement stock?

A2 (left)
    MagPul PRS (right)
    Attached Images
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I'm the same as you with respect to the good 'ol A2 stock and I'm also saving up for a MagPul PRS - sweet setup.

Senior Moderator
    If you're interested in a collapsable that doesn't feel like a cheap plastic toy, check out the Magpul CTR.

I've seen / handled the PRS - very well build.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I love my PRS. Consistent cheek weld and it feels really solid. Pretty heavy but I don't mind the weight.

laeckcrov, I see that you are from our dear state of CT where we are only allowed fixed, non-adjustable, post-ban stocks. I am not sure if the magpul PRS is even considered an adjustable stock.

I am probably going to add the ACE ARFX stock to a 16 inch rifle i will build soon. I just want to be able to attach a sling at one point of attachment. the image below is not my rifle but you is shows the stock.
    Attached Images
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    I am probably going to add the ACE ARFX stock to a 16 inch rifle i will build soon.
    I almost bought that ARFX when i last rebuilt my AR, a friend has one, and for a lightweight stock it always felt solid to me.

I just recently moved here and am in the process of updating my rifles in accordance with CT laws and stripped my AR of everything except the muzzle weights.
    I'm hoping the PRS qualifies for CT laws...

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Mo
    The PRS is huge and heavy, but if you're shooting a .300 (WSSM?), then mobility probably isn't your main issue.

BAC
    It doesn't sound like he's shooting a very mobile AR, so the PRS would be right up his alley. Mo's right though: they're heavy. They're solid as anything, but heavy.

-B

Try the newer MAGPUL - UBR - Urban Battle Rifle Stock.

I put an ace ACE ARFX on mine. I love it!!! Here in NY we cant have collapsible stocks (State run by communists). But now that I have the ACE I wouldnt want anything different. Its a very solid stock.

You can also get the shorter one which is like a little over 7". On my next build thats the one i'll be going with. If its gonna be used for home defense the shorter length would help. I still find a bit cumbersome getting around the house with a 16" barrel. Cant wait for my pistol permit!!!!

It's a whisper/fireball, aka .300/221. No, mobility is on the lower end of my priorities.

BAC
    Awesome caliber. I don't know CT law, but if you can get a suppressor for it, do it. It's amazingly quiet. The PRS is a good stock for that rifle, then, and I don't believe it would be considered a collapsible stock. If your state law reads "adjustable" stock, though, you might be in trouble. Shoot off an email to a DA and see what they say.

-B

Yeah, I had a suppressor built for it, with the can on it's dead quiet. Even unsuppressed I swear it's quieter than your standard .

Update: Just confirmed the law, it is written "Folding or telescoping stock", neither of which applies to the PRS.

Interestingly, the way the law is written, if your weapon has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following features it is prohibited as an "assault type weapon":
    (i) A folding or telescoping stock
    (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
    (iii) A bayonet mount
    (iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
    (v) A grenade launcher

SO, if I get rid of the pistol grip, I can mount a suppressor or a grenade launcher

Seriously though, I wonder... if I were to modify the magazine so it could be loaded when welded into place, then it would no longer qualify as an assault type weapon, meaning I could keep the pistol grip and mount my suppressor. Time to start experimenting.

Laeckcrov, I think you'll probably be raided with thinking like that:)
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Senior Moderator
    I'm not one to replace anything that works well for something that just looks cooler.

I would try to find one that fits better and works better and then get it instead of trying to find one that looks neater.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links