Built first ar!

Built first ar!

This is a discussion on Built first ar! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just built my first AR, its a Bushmaster lower (had in a box for 10+yrs) w/ a M&A DCM kit. Since I have never ...

Thread: Built first ar!

Built first ar!

I just built my first AR, its a Bushmaster lower (had in a box for 10+yrs) w/ a M&A DCM kit.

Since I have never owned an AR, what is the proper way to sight it in? I have looked on the net but have not found info to sight in NM sights. All I found are standard battle sights. My NM sights are 1/2 by 1/2 MOA and are unmarked. Any suggestions?

2nd question, barrel break in. Some say use a lengthy procedure of cleaning after each of five shots, then shoot 3, and clean repeat X5, then shoot 5, clean repeat x5. Other experts including Gale McMillian Say break in is a waste of time. Should I clean it and shoot it, or break it in?
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

#2....if the barrel is chrome lined you don't have to worry about break-in. That's just what I hear anyways. If you don't have a chrome lined barrel, then things are sort of left up to you and your interpretations. Barrel Break-In

It's a Wilson SS 1:8 barrel
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

barrel break-in had always been a waste of time IMHO, i've never done it with any gun, even my long range .308 or .338, so i wouldn't worry about it for your AR. Just my $.02 though, in the end it's your call
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Administrator

Personally I think a shooter should run some JB Bore Cleaner "first thing" through every brand new barrel and then skip the entire "Barrel Break In" process.
    Doing that accomplishes exactly the same function BETTER & without the over-involved BS.

J-B NON-EMBEDDING BORE CLEANING COMPOUND at Brownells

Lead Moderator
    Unless you are making a precision long range gun , I don't think break in is all that important. How about pics of the new gun too?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    I just built my first AR, its a Bushmaster lower (had in a box for 10+yrs) w/ a M&A DCM kit.
    Should I clean it and shoot it, or break it in?
    You have a Stainless Barrel - I assume you won't be doing rapid fire,
    so just clean it normally after the first 25 rounds or so, that's enough of a breakin.

With a 55 - 62 gr bullet you can sight in at 25 yds , and that will get your groups pretty close to a bullseye at 100 yds.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Unless you are making a precision long range gun , I don't think break in is all that important. How about pics of the new gun too?
    This is what I was told...(by a cop neighbor who runs the gun range for local PD).

Stay armed...sight it in for the edges of the property...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Even with precision long range guns, it seems to be a matter of personal taste. In the community of long range shooters i shoot with, some of us break it in, some don't.

If you are good enough to notice a "difference", you are good enough to shoot around it.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Links