Couldn't wait any longer

This is a discussion on Couldn't wait any longer within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good for you! And good work putting it on layaway and not a credit card. I heard on the news that layaway is making a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Couldn't wait any longer

Good for you! And good work putting it on layaway and not a credit card. I heard on the news that layaway is making a comeback.

2. Remove Ads

I simply don't do credit cards any more. Been off them for a good two years now! I highly recommend it. Just got done paying one off totally two weeks ago ($4k)!

Congrats on the 870
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, I went to my local gun shop today. It was my off day, but had to work. I went to the shop just to look around. Bought a box of PMC Bronze, 40S&W 165gr FMJ-FP and a used Glock G27 mag. Some of you might know I've been on the prowl again for a HD shotty. First inkling was the Rem. 870....then I tossed the idea around for the Mossy 500 or 590. I've been on the debate for a couple of months now. But I saw the one today....in stock, no order like I would have through my other favorite dealer. $269+tax. 870 7+1. The plain jane skyhook forearm and synthetic stock express model. I'd been through the rack two or three times in the past couple of months. When I went to check out my box of ammo and mag, I asked what it takes to hold a firearm or what sort of lay-away plans they have. Guy told me three months after i told him what I had in mind. $75 down tonight, and the 870 will be mine soon enough! I figured all along I'd be paying cash and carry, but life happens. I just couldn't wait any more. Three months is January, and I expect to have it in my arms before December. Three months! Now that's a plan from a local gun shop! Hell....I've been working overtime for the past three weeks. I deserve it! The tactical forend will be first and only mod for a while, and Brownell's has those for around $25. Forget Christmas for me....get something for everyone else! Woo Hoo!
    I've done that before. But I'm more of the kind of guy who saves up the cash, then goes into the store and let's the gun pick me. I hate not having it, even though I technically do if it's on lay away. If I pay cash for it, I can have it that day

But that's just me. Congrats on the gun! Pictures when you can :)

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    You guys have local gun shops?

I had to drive 2.5 hours one way to get my 870.
    Fortunately for me, yes. The down side is the one two minutes away is a pawn shop, they sell new weapons so he can get what you want usually.
    And that IS a good price.

Well, this is going to get pic heavy as they say. Dial-up warning or whatever. I actually brought her home Monday evening after work. Made out decent on the past couple weeks of overtime (which I hear is coming to an end soon), and a few other factors that let me get her out of hawk on the layaway the day before the election (as if that really mattered, but I'll always remember this purchase date!). I have a few things to say about the new to me 870...............
    1. it's quite a bit lighter than my previous shotguns (Stevens single shot, Ithaca 37 Featherweight, and Mossberg 500 in 20ga), and I know why.
    2. Hollow, plastic injected stock I imagine. The solid rubber butt pad helps to balance things, and the shape of the stock itself obviously saves a lot over a regular, full, rubber butt stock. It has decent balance anyway to my feel.
    3. The front sight bead is pressed in apparently. If I want to do the front post night sight, I'll have to break it off and drill and tap. (-1 in my book but a very solid front sight/base)
    4. I like the texture of the finish on the metals, magazine tube and barrel. It's sort of a matte blueing but not black, and not smooth. I give the finish a + in this respect.
    5. I know I posted this was a 7+1 shot, but I had asked a local dealer about getting one a while back and the quote was $333 for that before tax, and those are the 20" barrel models. I got the HD 18" model so obviously mine is an actual 7 shot for 2 3/4" shells. 6 in the mag. No big deal to me.
    6. The balance is very good IMO, and not sure how they did it. I know the barrels on these aren't heavy barrels like you can get with the Mossbergs...I'm thinking alloy of course rather than bar stock steel.
    7. The rather large, 'duckbill' fore end isn't that bad actually after I've cycled it many times over the last 48 hours and managed rather nicely to keep my finger out of the way naturally although it comes very close. I may just keep this shotgun all stock other than getting a hi-viz/non-binding magazine follower which currently tops my list for around $7.
    8. All in all, I'm definitely more than happy to have a shotgun again. And the 870 Express HD is definitely a shotgun. Competitively priced and manufactured? Yes. Still made in America? Yes. Fit, feel, and function.....4 on a scale of 1-5. Mod friendly? Not exactly, but I don't think it actually needs that much for the intended purpose. Complete take-down of the firearm is a bit more involved than what I've previously owned in the way of shotguns, but that's not always top of the list because after all....it is a shotgun, and for my intents and purposes, I figure it will see less than 50 rounds a year put through it, and it won't be used for hunting anything other than those who would hunt me. Overall, I'm excited to bring another child into the family. It's going to be part of the good foundation I always seek. It was built for the purpose and should last as long as the rest so long as I live and care for it likewise, and I will. It sure is a pleasure to hold.
    By the way....I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow despite any foul weather we get tonight. Now all i need to do is find a couple of those Obama campaign signs. I've also got a few boxes of low recoil coming from TDSUS should arrive tomorrow I'd like to try. Hoping the little woman will take to the shotgun as well.

VIP Member
    Sweet enjoy.

Distinguished Member
    Nice. Very nice!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Very nice. Next on my list of firearms too lol.
    Kahr CW45
    Glock 19 OD

If Obama is the answer it was a dumb question.

do you keep ammo in those folger cans? That's a pretty good idea... i was gonna buy some ammo cans but if that works out i'll do that instead. I'm a heavy coffee drinker so getting a collection of cans would be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by nami View Post
    do you keep ammo in those folger cans? That's a pretty good idea... i was gonna buy some ammo cans but if that works out i'll do that instead. I'm a heavy coffee drinker so getting a collection of cans would be simple.
    Those coffee cans contain once fired brass actually. I keep all of my new ammo in ammo cans.

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Sounds like a good deal RR. Seems like Lay Away is not very often used anymore. I am glad it worked out.
    I would like to see pics also, when you get your new gun.

Ron
    i second that. good deal ramrod. pics requested when availble.
    unless it's a christmas present for yourself.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Very nice indeed RR. I sure like the security that a good shotgun adds.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Don't you just hate addictions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links